on 13 August 2013
This short book doesn't claim tell you everything you need to know about writing a novel. It just gives you a short, select list of original and effective steps you can take to give your book it's very best chance of publication and success. I'm torn between being fair to the writer and writing a positive review, then worrying that if every writer reads it and puts the advice into practice it will make more competition for me! Maybe this book should just be passed secretly from writer to writer, a select few, like those "shocking" books like 'Lady Chatterly's Lover' that travelled the school playgrounds in my youth, passed from grubby hand to ink stained fingers, and only available if you knew the right kids to ask. This little book is shockingly useful. (Psst! Don't pass it on!")
on 25 March 2013
This little book is the most concise teaching tool for story writing that I have ever come across. Each of the 'tricks' it contains could be a lesson in itself, but the author has also used all his tricks to make even this booklet 'unputdownable'. It is impossible not to read it straight off in one go and it would be impossible to put the points more clearly. Every 'trick' is explained with an excellent example showing that the author of this booklet has also done his own homework thoroughly. It is entertaining, informative and a brilliant guide for any teacher or potential author.
on 23 October 2013
This book has a lot of really good ideas, but as I'm more of an intermediate writer (i.e., I've written some stories), so most of the ideas were not that useful. I wouldn't expect this to appeal to a more experienced writer, who has published, in whatever format, on a regular basis. I would though suggest that it would serve as a useful set of tips for someone starting out on the journey to become a published author.
on 1 August 2013
A clear, concise mix of art, science and psychology - and much of it makes you say 'ah, yes, of course!' As the author of a fiction novel and many magazine articles, I plan to keep this alongside my laptop as a handy ready reckoner and check list to make sure I stay on the right track - at least I got the 'three word title' bit right! Good stuff, simply packaged and usefully summarised at the end.
on 24 August 2014
If I'd paid more than that for this book I'd have been pretty cheesed off, because I've read other writing books that cost not much more than this one but were far longer and offered much more useful information. I read this entirely in twenty minutes, and didn't learn anything particularly enlightening. If you're a beginner at writing this will not tell you anything that might help you become better at the craft; the 'tricks' covered in this book really are just that - gimmicks that will probably work if they're sprinkled over writing that's already of a good standard. And if you're not new to the writing game ... well, you probably already instinctively know these 'tricks' anyway.

The author doesn't exactly help himself/herself in terms of credibility by using 'Anon' as a pen name either - it just looks like they don't want anyone to know that they wrote this book. Why would you do that if you really thought you were offering useful advice?

So no, I didn't learn anything new that I thought I could use to improve as a writer. But it cost less than a cup of coffee, which I'd probably finish drinking before I finished reading this book. It was pleasant enough diversion.
on 23 March 2013
This book is a succinct introduction to the key elements of creative writing with plenty of choice examples to illustrate the techniques described.

A worthy purchase for any budding creative writer!
on 28 January 2014
Bought this in my quest to become an author. Very informative, well laid out, easy to read. Really gives sound advice if like me you want to write books but don't have the knowledge base from thought to paper, then this is for you.
on 18 August 2013
I'm a complete beginner. This short but sweet read is another very useful tool in my tool kit. It has definitely given me things to think about and a good reason to re-edit my work
on 5 May 2013
A very concise and helpful little booklet. This is certainly worth the purchase for anyone searching for no-frills tips to keep the pages turning. Thank you, Anon.
on 21 March 2013
Picked this up whilst randomly browsing on my kindle. As an author of two books, I thought it worth a punt and found myself actually noting points from the author. I liked the structure - made it easy to follow and identify the most important elements. Examples examined are well chosen.