on 11 September 2013
I read the E F Benson books about the 'Ladies of the Town' who gossiped about newcomers and had bridge parties annd believed that the author was a lady and didn't know he wrote mysteries but I was as pleased with these stories as any about 'Miss Mapp'. No blood and thunder but a glimpse of a bygone era.
on 21 June 2014
I'm a huge fan of Mapp and Lucia and their various machinations in the gentle social comedies from a bygone era. He also writes horror stories though I'm not keen on these. I would say to try him though. He was a prolific writer with a varied output.
I like that I can have them on my kindle to dip into. Again it's great to have old favourites in one small place, although I still have many of the 'hard copies' and wouldn't part with them it does make for lighter packing.
VINE VOICEon 17 December 2014
I have always loved the Mapp and Lucia series but this was a chance to read others stories written by this master story teller. I cannot recommend it too highly - most were written 80 years ago but are as fresh and amusing today as they ever were. Yet another bargain offer in the very worthwhile Megapack series.fjs
on 28 March 2015
Mapp and Lucia made me want to read more of Bensons work, and I was not disappointed. I'm sad that they are not making a second series as my DVDS of the original series is a constant companion. I will be reading more of Bensons work.
on 30 May 2014
I like Benson's books because they take you back to such a different world,it seems unbelievable now.Started with Mapp and Lucia,my favourites,but have enjoyed most of his books.If you read too many,you get slightly satiated by this veneration for duchesses they seem to have had in those days,but a good read,nevertheless.
on 24 March 2015
not as funny as wodehouse, as acerbic as saki, as scary as poe, or even kipling, not as topical as gissing, not as trenchant as elliott...paints a picture of the striving middle class which is deeply unsympathetic...makes me wonder why he did not just leave...anywhere else would have been preferable ....so much venom covered-up and disguised...not very amusing, just sad and pathetic...well written, a few typos...too bad...i do not find these stories funny, or charming, but only painful and embarrassing in their cold dissection of easy targets...lots of gunpowder spent on unworthy victims...i wonder why he bothered...
on 29 May 2014
I'm reading it at the moment. I am enjoying it although I adored Lucia and Miss Mapp which I read earlier. I am amazed by the variety of his writing.
on 30 September 2014
Great fan of EF Benson - mainly Mapp and Lucia novels. This volume also gives opportunity to read unfamiliar works. All at a great price.
on 15 October 2014
Excellent and charming classic style. Re-presents a time when English humour throve on being naughty but inoffensive.
on 27 February 2015
As usual Benson draws you in within a chapter, excellent short stories to read in-between more challenging fiction.