on 6 November 2013
Having been a fan of Eleanor McEvoy for the last 10 years, her CDs are frequently on my player. How this singer is not an international superstar is beyond my comprehension. She has an outstanding voice, a superlative lyricist, is invariably accompanied by quality musicians (except "Alone") and most of her CDs are of audiophile quality. I am fortunate to have a HiFi system that gets the best from her CDs - she is still best listened to live - and I would say "If You Leave" is the best so far. I would agree with another reviewer who says there is not a stand out song, when they are all so good it's difficult to find a stand out! Buy it! Or better still, see her live!
on 25 July 2013
"If You Leave..." has everything going for it--beautiful melodies, intelligent lyrics, and impeccable musicianship. Eleanor McEvoy is a renowned songwriter and the tracks she penned on "If You Leave..." display how her talent brings forth perfectly crafted tunes. McEvoy also has a talent for combining her own compositions with interpretations of songs by artists she admires. One example of this is "True Colors"; Cindy Lauper's version would leave one believing no one could do a version of this song that would compare. McEvoy does just that--her version actually surpassed Lauper's.

I was surprised to see three lukewarm reviews of the album. It is McEvoy's best to date, and that is saying a lot as all nine of her previous albums are gems. Don't pass this one up--it's truly a brilliant album.
on 18 January 2014
We have seen Eleanor live, and have the Out There and Alone albums which are brilliant. This unfortunately is one of those albums where the presence of electric guitar, drums, bass, and kitchen sink, all of which have to be used at all times, dilute what makes Eleanor special. At times, including the opening couple of tracks, the vocals can hardly be heard for a nasty sounding electric guitar. I have only brought myself to listening right through once so maybe it will grow, but I suspect I will reach for one of the others instead. Send me the stems and I'll remix it to make it more listenable. I'm pleased other reviewers disagree with my opinions.
on 11 February 2014
I first heard of this CD from an English Hi-Fi Magazine called Hi-Fi News. It used a number of tracks from this CD in reviews of Hi-Fi Equipment, so I bought this CD really on "Spec". I have found the recording to be First class, you can easily hear Eleanor's Irish accent whilst singing and cannot fault the clarity/quality of the recording. Not perhaps the normal type (musical) of CD that I would buy but this is a very enjoyable CD to listen to regardless of your tastes.
on 17 May 2013
The previous album "Alone" was mesmerising. I've listened to "If you Leave" several times now, but I just can't find anything that grabs me in the same way. Nothing much to dislike about this album, but unfortunately nothing to light any fires either.
I now have most of Eleanor's previous albums and have seen her in concert a few times and am a big fan of her superb distinctive Irish voice and her often self deprecating and perceptive songwriting. On her new album she has a band of special musicians she calls " The Craic Squad" who have supported many more famous Irish and other artists.On paper this should be a very promising line up, however,for me this album overall is a slight disappointment.Her voice sometimes seems a bit lower down in the mix, and occasionally she seems more of a bit player in her own songs. Most of the songs are new original compositions , with 4 covers, the real highlight for me is a sublime version of God Only Knows by Brian Wilson, a classic Beach Boys song with fantastic solo piano accompianment by Brian Connor which is a spine tingling track, something very special. There is a similar good treatment of Lift the Wings from Bill Whelan of Riverdance fame,a fair version of Cindi Lauper's True Colours, then a slightly jarring closer of Elmore James Blues classic Dust my Broom, where the band rocks out, that seems rather at odds with the more relaxed feeling of the rest of the album. Having listened to this album half a dozen times now, there are not as many of Eleanor's original compositions that have really wowed me, it seems a slightly weaker set of songs with less stand out memorable tracks. Don't get me wrong, it is still a good offering, but in general lacking a few great new original compositions and performances, it seems to wash over me more and not leave the usual long lasting impression I have got from most of her previous albums. Perhaps overall a case of more strong band members is less distinctive Eleanor , with the exception of the superb track God Only Knows.
on 3 June 2013
This is not her best album but by that I mean there is room for improvement in the sonic qualities of the recording
on 20 November 2013
Eleanor sounding relaxed and very on top of it all . Some lovely use of different instruments too . Great
on 27 July 2014
an absolute pleasure and delight to listen and enjoy
on 14 September 2014