Customer reviews

Judge Dredd The Pit
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£9.59

on 12 June 2013
I don't read 2000ad anymore but every so often I buy a graphic novel and must say this is one of the best Dredd stories I've read.
on 15 October 2010
Having read Judge Dredd Case files 1-7 and 10, and "origins", "America" "Chief Judges Man" "Satan's Island" "democracy now" "mandroid" and a fair few Megazine strips and rare collections, I may not be a fully fledged Dredd Head, but I know enough to say that this is the best Dredd has to offer page for page, and this novel aint too short either.

The story is phenomenal, taking us from the least likely place to see Dredd, behind a desk. Then of course we see him re enter Mega City One or should i say "the Pitt" (I daren't say more on that). Along the way we meet other interesting characters, who are far more 3 dimensional than the throw-away rookie judges, or extremely violent creeps you sometimes come across, the stories of the characters all interweve into something far more complex than the usual Dredd story, but all the while mantaining continuity (something "America" clearly lacked among other things) this novel is also beautiful to look at, the vibrant colours you expect to see, with only some of 2000ad's finest artists behind the wheel, carlos Ezquerra for instance puts in possibly his most impressive work, and the others who worked on it dont fall far behind.

In short if you don't have this book, that is a good thing because once you have read this, all other Dredd will never be quite as good again.

Happy reading Creeps!
on 30 October 2015
Does exactly what is intended.
on 28 July 2013
Long time since I read it,it doesn't disappoint. Great fish out of water tale.

Recommend it to any dredd fan.
on 25 June 2013
I used to collect 2000 AD back in the 90s, back when the ART and STORIES were first class - with the likes of Dredd, Slaine, Rogue Trooper, Finn, the Clown, ABC Warriors, Strontium Dogs etc. It really was special, great characters, interesting stories that were salted with 2000AD's fantastically dark sense of humour. It was a thoroughly compelling comic.

I stopped collecting 2000AD at the end of the 90s as it went a bit rubbish. When I bought the PIT I was expecting something of that old flavor, especially being penned by the Father of Dredd John Wagner! I was horribly mistaken!

The script really feels like it was written by a teenage boy trying to write a grown up thriller, which I found baffling. Its pretty weak throughout, apart from a few brief snippets of more interesting dialog. I remember 2000AD being at times loud and in your face, but underneath its stories and characters were far more nuanced and were handled with a degree of self awareness and wry humour that made them a far more exhilarating read. I have seen vastly better writing than this in 2000AD and Judge Dredd.

Now to the ART. Simply wow, I had no idea Ezquerra was so inconsistent. Ezquerra has a very distinctive style which is synonymous with Dredd. However, in this comic its frankly awful. Again, was he having an off day or what? I can draw better than this! When you compare this with say Inferno - you can see what I mean. What the hell happened? It looks so amateurish!

I found the whole experience bizarre.

Wagner + Ezquerra = QUALITY (Or should do!)

Very disappointing.