Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.03

on 19 February 2015
Astonishingly brilliant book. I actually listened to the audiobook narrated by Rupert Degas. Quite simply the best story i've ever heard. The audiobook has so much depth and the narrator really throws himself in with all the characters and the emotions. I urge any ZA to get the audiobook because it will blow you away. The whole tale is so raw, and utterly brutal, but masterfully written. The dialogue between characters seems so natural, and unforced, or unrealistic. It feels so Mad Max because of Rupert's amazing narration.
Anyone who comments that they've seen this all before should point me in the direction of Sir Tristan Of Penrose's other zombie encounters.
I also read criticism of the brutality in the book. What do these people think would happen in a ZA? Hoards of tickling zombies?
Book 2 here i come.
Think Mad Max meets Resident Evil meets a little bit of Die Hard. That's what I got from Tankbread; and quite a bit more.

In Tankbread, Mannering introduces us to an Australia that is trying to survive after the ravages of a zombie epidemic. I'm not one for giving away plots in my reviews, and so I won't. But the stage is well set; it is hard to find an original setting and plot staging in the plethora of zombie novels around these days. Mannering has done this.

The Courier, our protagonist, is both the hero and anti-hero of our tale. He is physically and mentally capable and strong and has the metaphorical "balls of steel" (his fighting efforts were what reminded me of Die Hard); but he has a selfish streak which has been one of his most obvious and efficient tools for survival. When he comes across Else, he begins to question everything he has so far seen as he travels across the wastes of Australia to find a cure to the zombie menace.

Else reminded me very much of LeeLoo from the Fifth Element; frail, naïve and childlike but with an unnerving capability to learn and grow. Courier was also very much like Korben Dallas; he was just trying to survive. In Else, he sees that humanity might have a reason to live.

Mannering has crafted a great story with huge depth and page-turning action. His undead are credible as is the source of the zombie menace; there were some hints of Resident Evil towards the end but I shan't spoil it for you. You'll just have to read and find out.
on 27 February 2012
To keep this a short and succinct as possible.

Wow!

This book had me on the edge of my seat and checking to make sure we had plenty of cans in the cupboard and the doors and windows were locked at the end of each nightly session!

The author has clearly spent a lot of time trying to expand on the accepted norm for post-apocolyptic tales.

The scenes are sharp and uncomfortable at times, stretching the readers moral boundaries. i cant think of the last time a book made me physically wince and this book did it regularly.

If you buy one zombie novel this month, I cannot recommend this enough.
on 15 October 2014
‘Tankbread’ is the story of one man’s journey through a zombie apocalypse, as he finds out the truth about the food made to sustain the zombie population.

I knew I had to read this after I read the author’s excellent short story in the ‘At Hell’s Gates’ anthology. This book, like that short story, had a very original twist and was told in a highly engaging way. The tankbread character Else was brilliantly written; I was amused by her, sympathised with her and thoroughly enjoyed following her journey. The main character was also great, but for me Else totally stole the show, not long after she was introduced.

While entertaining, this is also a pretty dark and gruesome read. The tension was high virtually the whole way through, making it an edge of seat, nail-biter of a read. I was surprised by how it ended and will be reading the next book in the series very soon to see what comes next.

Overall this is an excellent take on the typical zombie apocalypse novel, well written, original and engaging. Highly recommended!
on 15 March 2012
A well written piece with characters you get to care for and an excellent storyline.

It paints a good (if scary) picture of a world where we are no longer at the top of the food chain.
on 18 May 2013
Tankbread by Paul Mannering
Mannering's debut novel brings a vision of the apocalypse set in the wastes of what was once Australia. Sheep run wild and woolly, remaining townships board themselves away from zombie hoards and a lone, unnamed courier wanders the brutal landscape, surviving on a day to day basis.

Tankbread are brain dead clones, mass produced by scientists holed up in the Sydney Opera House and fed en masse to the zombie scourge in an attempt to appease their voracious appetites in a bitter peace treaty. Our nameless hero finds himself tasked with transporting one such Tankbread across country in effort to find a cure for the virus that has decimated the world, before her fatal best before date ends. What follows is a witty, action packed adventure that draws upon classics such as Soylent Green, I Am Legend and with more than a hint of The Fifth Element as our hero begins to train the child like clone he comes to name Else in ways of self-defence and survival. His prickly wit and wry John McClane-esque one-liners soon rub off on her and for me this was the ultimate joy of the entire story. Else's learning curve is tragic and comical, her childlike curiosity in a dangerous world is a rose amongst gnashing teeth. I found myself rooting for her throughout despite her numbered days, begging please don't let Else die, please don't let Else die . . .

Along the way our hero and his not vulnerable for long sidekick, face off against endless swarms of hungry zombies and meet a variety of strange characters that add a greater depth to the story including honourable knights, flying nuns, feral children and flesh hungry pigs. From cover to cover, Tankbread is a balls to the wall, brains on the ceiling, tongue through cheek action comedy that even manages to twang a few heartstrings along the way. Zombie fans need to jump on this now and give this novel the recognition it deserves.
5/5
on 5 May 2013
Because it meant giving up the characters and the story I was so into!!!Some of the fight scenes in this apocalyptic-zombie tale are amazing,the best I have read for a long while!!! Easy to follow characters and action yet descriptive enough for the reader to taste the atmosphere...spitting right now at the thought!!
Paul Mannering has taken his idea and let his imagination run riot creating a world I hated and characters I loved...my worst nightmares on paper.
There are a few typos and a few tiny tiny edit issues but the story here is so good there is no detraction..instead page turning action at every point.He is not scared of the gross out factor and has a basic turn of phrase that describes it bluntly and how it is...there is nothing pretty about a world run by decay but a good dose of sarcasm helps!!
This book grips you with the first paragraph using phrases such as "gobs of warm flesh" and "He chews her like gum" in the first sentences and this is a civilised lunch being described,the story will hold and twist your guts,Else will hold your heart,I wish I knew his name too...loved every page!!!!
on 26 May 2014
Huge fan of the ZomPoc genre and picked up Tankbread as a freebie for Kindle. Loved that it wasn't based around a group of survivors during the breakout and initial days thereafter but set a decade afterwards. Characters, main and supporting, are well written and descriptions are colourful in places. Reminds me of Mad Max meets World War Z. Highly recommended and off to see about the sequel.
on 20 September 2012
Couldn't put it down, and I don't usually like zombie anything, but the idea intrigued me and the book delivered.
on 18 March 2014
Loved this book as I love zombie stories and movies. A good twisted take on the zombie genre, a good page turner and most enjoyable read. Will be looking for more from this author.