Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 May 2013
As said in the other reviews this is a great value set,theres no questioning the early Whitesnake back catalogue at all,its quality classic rock.What does let the side down is the box,i actually sat looking at it wondering how it opened without damaging it.Turns out you turn the top down like a backwards cigerette box just enough to lift the inner flap up to get the albums out....i have no doubt the front cover of the box will crease and split if regularly opened,shame more durable materials were not used or just have a simple box or slip case.This should be a 5 star set but knocked one of for the poor box design.
on 10 June 2017
Excellent
VINE VOICEon 23 May 2013
Not even I could justify the wallet lightening load that was the "Box O' Snakes" set that came out a couple of years ago. Much as I would have enjoyed the self pleasure it would have given me, the thought of Mrs H catching sight of the bank statement so soon after finding my extremely large Whitesnake, um, collection would have been just too much. I couldn't face the "but why do you need 4 vinyl copies of "Lovehunter" when you've got it on CD" speech. Apparently, there is no right answer to that question.

However, here we have a cut down CD version of the set, without any of the important things, such as the Reading Rock sets and the DVD. And yes, Mrs H, I know I have those highly illegal BBC Transcription records locked away in the Swis bank vault, but that does not mean I don't want them out on CD. Instead it's a bare bones 9 disc set covering the period 1978 - 1982. So it's everything from the "Snakebite" EP through to "Saints &' Sinners". There's no bonus tracks, which I quite like, as I grew up with these records and like them just the way they are. And it includes the Japanese only "Live At Hammersmith" set as well as the more familiar "Live...In The Heart Of The City".

Musically, I don't think it got any better than these. It was the music of my puberty and defined my ears for everything that was to come. "Trouble", "Lovehunter", "Ready An' Willing", "Come And Get It", "Saints & Sinners" - I salute you. Once you manage to get inside the stupid assed box with its stupid assed flaps, which guarantee they won't be coming out very often, you'll find the mini LP replica cardboard sleeves, and some of the finest British rock ever recorded. It's still over priced and it really is a completists only set, but I'm exactly the kind of saddo this is aimed at, but I don't care, and shall hold my Whitesnake high for all to see.

Of course you could always pony up for the Box 'O' Snakes: The Sunburst Years 1978-1982, and keep your divorce lawyers number close at hand.
22 Comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
At the time of writing Amazon have not provided a clear track listing.
So this is not a review as such just a way to pass on the information about the tracks and which ones have been remastered etc.

This may help the potential buyer?

For a decent review Robbie Murdock has written a good one.
may I suggest you read that as well?

If you spot any mistakes just add a note and I will alter the details and credit you with your knowledge.
Track Listings - ignore last track on last CD

Disk 1
1. Bloody Mary (2011 - Remaster)
2. Steal Away (2011 - Remaster)
3. Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City (2011 - Remaster)
4. Come On (2011 - Remaster)

Disk 2
1. Take Me With You (2011 - Remaster)
2. Love to Keep You Warm (2011 - Remaster)
3. Lie Down (A Modern Love Song) (2011 - Remaster)
4. Day Tripper (2011 - Remaster)
5. Nighthawk (Vampire Blues) (2011 - Remaster)
6. The Time Is Right for Love (2011 - Remaster)
7. Trouble (2011 - Remaster)
8. Belgian Tom's Hat Trick (2011 - Remaster)
9. Free Flight (2011 - Remaster)
10. Don't Mess With Me (2011 - Remaster)

Disk 3
1. Come On (Live) (2011 - Remaster)
2. Might Just Take Your Life (Live) (2011 - Remaster)
3. Lie Down (Live) (2011 - Remaster)
4. Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City (Live) (2011 - Remaster)
5. Trouble (Live) (2011 - Remaster)
6. Mistreated (Live) (2011 - Remaster)

Disk 4
1. Long Way from Home (2011 - Remaster)
2. Walking in the Shadow of the Blues (2011 - Remaster)
3. Help Me Thro' the Day (2011 - Remaster)
4. Medicine Man (2011 - Remaster)
5. You 'n' Me (2011 - Remaster)
6. Mean Business (2011 - Remaster)
7. Love Hunter (2011 - Remaster)
8. Outlaw (2011 - Remaster)
9. Rock 'n' Roll Women (2011 - Remaster)
10. We Wish You Well (2011 - Remaster)

Disk 5
1. Fool for Your Loving (1980 Recording) (2011 - Remaster)
2. Sweet Talker (2011 - Remaster)
3. Ready An' Willing (2011 - Remaster)
4. Carry Your Load (2011 - Remaster)
5. Blindman (2011 - Remaster)
6. Ain't Gonna Cry No More (2011 - Remaster)
7. Love Man (2011 - Remaster)
8. Black and Blue (2011 - Remaster)
9. She's a Woman (2011 - Remaster)

Disk 6
1. Come On (Live) (2011 - Remaster)
2. Sweet Talker (Live) (2011 - Remaster)
3. Walking in the Shadow of the Blues (Live) (2011 - Remaster)
4. Love Hunter (Live) (2011 - Remaster)
5. Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City (Live) (2011 - Remaster)
6. Fool for Your Loving (Live) (2011 - Remaster)
7. Ain't Gonna Cry No More (Live) (2011 - Remaster)
8. Ready An' Willing (Live) (2011 - Remaster)
9. Take Me With You (Live) (2011 - Remaster)

Disk 7
1. Come An' Get It (2011 - Remaster)
2. Hot Stuff (2011 - Remaster)
3. Don't Break My Heart Again (2011 - Remaster)
4. Lonely Days Lonely Nights (2011 - Remaster)
5. Wine, Women An' Song (2011 - Remaster)
6. Child of Babylon (2011 - Remaster)
7. Would I Lie to You? (2011 - Remaster)
8. Girl (2011 - Remaster)
9. Hit An' Run (2011 - Remaster)
10. Till the Day I Die (2011 - Remaster)

Disk 8
1. Young Blood (2011 - Remaster)
2. Rough An' Ready (2011 - Remaster)
3. Bloody Luxury (2011 - Remaster)
4. Victim of Love (2011 - Remaster)
5. Crying in the Rain (2011 - Remaster)
6. Here I Go Again (2011 - Remaster)
7. Love An' Affection (2011 - Remaster)
8. Rock An' Roll Angels (2011 - Remaster)
9. Dancing Girls (2011 - Remaster)
10. Saints An' Sinners (2011 - Remaster)
11. In the Glen (2011 Remaster)
11 Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 May 2013
If like me you aren't fussed about extra tracks then this box set is for you, it's remastered and looks nice in the cigarette type box but the box is the reason I knocked a star off.

It looks good but when you open it the lid won't fully close and you have to struggle a bit to get the discs out, also the sides came apart and had to be glued back in place.

The company obviously didn't give much thought to fans buying this when they designed the box but it's not a major problem for me, hopefully it's only my copy that has this fault and I hope that other reviewers have no such problems.

Some fans will buy this as a collection filler, others (like myself) will buy it as a substitute for their Vinyl copies and anyone else will probably be buying it as an introduction to the band.

Other than this the Slide It In album is the only other album you need to own (in my opinion), I'm not a fan of post 87 material but each to their own.

To sum up this box I'd give 5 for the music and 4 for the packaging, a must buy for any Rock fans collection at a nice price.
22 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2015
I bought this collection in May 2015, and it would appear the packaging issues mentioned in other reviews has been resolved. My box came with a lift off lid (as oppose to the cigarette box packaging others have had issues with) and the CD's are extremely accessible. I assume the label listened to concerns and changed the packaging.

As for the music.....impeccable!!!!. Bought to replace LP's and tapes that I had not listened to for many years (with the exception of "Saints and Sinners" which remains my firm favourite), and feel mildly stupid for leaving it for so long ("Slip of the Tongue" had a bad effect on my love for the band!!!).
on 26 July 2014
Tremendous collection of Whitesnake's best bits - to me anyway because a long time ago I had all their stuff on good old fashioned vinyl and this collection brings all the early albums together in one place at a great affordable cost. Was a bit concerned over the packaging after reading other reviews but honestly it is fine. The music is brilliant -heartfelt, well played and well written and much much better than the 1987 album which had no soul, something I would have thought David Coverdale would have known all about. I give it ten out of ten.
on 30 September 2013
If you already have these albums then you need not buy this set except for the remastering value.

If you have heard of Whitesnake but only the stuff after the 1987 album then this is a different band altogether. With the best lineup in my opinion and the two best live albums of any band this is the set of disks are ace.

Blues, rock, heavy rock, this set has it all. However if you are a fan of the later power ballads you may not like this version of the band.

I love it, if you're a fan you'll be a fan.
on 25 May 2013
I have all the vinyls from this era, plus a number of CDs too. The main bonus here is the EP. The CD version of 'Live in the Heart' does not include a number of songs compared to the double vinyl .. songs now included here on the 'live at Hammersmith' CD. So I would say this is really for completists. But what a pleasure to hear these perfect songs, and those times with Moody/Marsden were the golden years of this stellar band, in my opinion. Fantastic, must have.
on 16 August 2013
Excellent music from the era of Whitesnake when they were at their best.

The quality and depth to the sound and feeling to the lyrics of these first recordings (all here) far outstrip the homogenised and over produced blandness of the American sound that followed.

Perhaps, one day, Mr Coverdale will come back to the roots of the Whitesnake sound but until then I shall continue to play these to death.