Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 March 2013
Les Miserables has been my favourite musical since I saw the stage show as a teenager over 15 years ago. The music is so beautiful, and the story so tragic - it really pushes my buttons. So many people complain about the singing in the film, but for me, it is more appropriate to the story; if miserable, poor, starving, violated, tormented people are going to burst into song I wouldn't expect it to be perfect. I think the raw, less than polished singing is entirely appropriate to the story. The film is, in my opinion, the best musical drama of all time, and this CD is a good substitute for the DVD which is still a couple of months away from release. I agree with the previous reviewer in that I noticed the less than perfect singing more than I did when watching the film, but again, I don't see that as a negative. I would recommend this if you like pretending to be dying Fantine, angry Valjean or heartbroken Eponine in the car on the way to work (I don't, I just thought you might like to). And I have to defend Russell Crowe's Javert - he was my favourite in a whole film of favourites, and I thought his portrayal was moving, devastating and exposed the core of Javert's character in a way I never realised before; poor, deluded, devoted and ultimately condemed soul.
55 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 March 2013
I have recently reviewed the Highlights version of this cd (q.v), and as I loved it, decided to buy the full version. It boasts an extra 23 tracks. I don't normally purchase CD's/DVD's for anything over a tenner, but when I found this for £10.80, I thought for 80 pence buy it and I'm so glad I did. This soundtrack is absolutely awesome. Highlights include Castle on a cloud, At the end of the day, Bring him home and the best ever song - Do you hear the people sing?. After listening to the CD on the very day I bought it, I will now have to buy the DVD when it comes out. Absolutely brilliant. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 19 April 2013
I went to see the film four times in the two weeks it was at our local cinema and loved it more each time. Having the cast sing live in my opinion was a stroke of genius - it made the whole thing so much more gutwrenching and real, and the actors were able to put so much more emotion into their performances than when miming to a pre-recorded soundtrack. I'm not a big fan of 'musicals' but this was so much more in every way.

I bought the CD with the original cast rather than the 'highlights' from the film to keep me going until the full version was released, and you could say that perhaps the vocals on that were more polished and obviously more like the stage version, but the music from the film lets you hear every nuance of feeling - the naked emotion, the voices that break under the strain of what they're going through, the tears (and there are plenty of those). I puzzled for ages after seeing the film as to how they could sing and cry at the same time, and saw an interview with Anne Hathaway in which she said she went into the bathroom and practiced!

I was a little disappointed that there a some things missing from the soundtrack, but overall it doesn't disappoint. It certainly helps if you have seen the film, because you automatically know which song belongs to which sequence, and you can view it all over again in your mind. I found the 'original cast' CD more difficult to follow it terms of continuity of the story, especially towards the end.

It's just a different kind of performance - you can't really compare the soundtrack from the film to a CD of the stage show, and I found it possible to appreciate both. If you expect every 'musical' to be like West Side Story, where the cast all burst into big production numbers with accompanying dancing, then of course you will be disappointed. This isn't like that - the music integrates so well with the narrative that sometimes you just forget that they are actually singing almost everything. After a while it just seems normal, until you get grabbed by the throat at some of the more powerful or poignant tracks.

Hugh Jackman puts in an amazing, powerful and heartrending performance - undoubtedly the star of the whole thing, both on-screen and on the CD - the range of emotions he puts into in his voice is spellbinding, and of course Anne Hathaway and Eddie Redmayne have 'their' particular stellar moments. But I would like to put in a good word for Russell Crowe, who seems to have been universally panned for his supposed inability to sing.

In the film itself, I thought his singing fitted the character very well - rather unbending and unemotional - the man was like that, and I didn't find this unacceptable at all. But for some reason he sounds much better on the CD. His voice has more light and shade - for example, when trying to convince the students at the barricade that he can find out about the soldiers' plans his voice is soft and cajoling - then when he gets found out it is harsh and angry. In 'Stars' and his suicide soliloquy he sounds emotional and believable. His voice is strong and he sings in tune - so I don't know what all the criticism is about - only my opinion but I thought he did well in the part.

The music is raw and emotional and still makes me cry, especially towards the end. See the film, then get the soundtrack. Can't wait for the DVD. 5 stars all the way.

Edit 8th August 2013: I'm certainly glad I bought my copy when I did in March at £12.99. I'm shocked to see the price has now gone up to over £17.00! What am I going to do when my copy wears out from being played so much? Still love it.
This is a wonderful musical and a wonderful soundtrack. Perhaps some of the stars really can not sing (Russell Crowe) but that adds to the drama and the power of the story. This is one music I never tire of hearing. Powerful, dramatic, romantic, passionate, sensitive.......superb.
on 23 May 2016
Such a beautiful soundtrack, I purchased this one as a gift but I do also own it myself. Its perfect for having on in the background anytime, ( I love to listen to it while i'm cleaning) but also good for playing loud when you just want to fill your thoughts with song.

Les Miserables, is perfection and the film and this sound track were both excellent in their own right.
on 25 November 2013
This was purchased as a present for Christmas so although I have not played the CD, it looks to be a complete replica of all of the songs from the film which is excellent. I am quite certain that as with the film it deserves a five star rating.
on 15 March 2016
Purchased for my Mum. Perfect Mother's Day present for her. If you like the musical/film you will love the soundtrack. Even without the imagery the music relays the story well and helps to convey emotions such a grief, sadness and joy.
on 12 September 2015
The best musical ever produced. Hugh Jackman is spectacular as Jean Valjean! The soundtrack just transports you back to the cinema & you can see every scene!
I wish they hadn't changed as much from the stage version but still a fantastic story with great acting and singing.
Downside...Helena Bonham Carter & Sacha Baron Cohen were terrible. At least they aren't in it too much!!
on 22 May 2013
I really didn't know Les Mis at all until I heard Susan Boyle sing 'I dreamed a dream.' I bought the highlights CD a few years ago but didn't really listen to it much and then when this Les Mis movie came out I watched it on BluRay and was totally captivated. The deluxe edition cost me £4.99 was an MP3 download which is ridiculous value. I know some people have said that the quality of the singing is not a good as the West End versions' CD but having listened to my old highlights CD again I would say that the film version is raw emotion which is conveyed so well by the actors. The West End version may be technically better but to me it sounds sterile and over rehearsed.

I haven't been able to stop listening to this movie version since I bought it 2 days ago and the sounds are going round my head all the time! High Jackman is amazing but so is Russell Crowe and then on of course there is Eddie Redmayne, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Siegfried and the lad who plays Gavroche - Daniel someone. Brilliant!!
on 16 August 2013
I make no reference as to the whether this version Les Miserables is better than any other. There are so many differing opinions, to do so would be futile. However, if you really enjoyed this film version and the majority, if not all, of the performances, this Deluxe Edition is everything the Highlights edition is not. It's a shame the producers remain true to form and attempt the extract funds out of people twice, if not three times if you include watching the film in the cinema. And don;t forget the DVD and Blu Ray!

When you buy the highlights edition you realise but then soon forget how much of the story and film it misses out. I listened to it many times and enjoyed it. But now I have the Deluxe Edition my enjoyment has been reignited and I able to enjoy again parts of the film I had forgotten. It still isn't 100% perfect but you would need practically the whole soundtrack for that.

So in summary, if you enjoyed the film and then probably the highlights CD then this is the full ticket and has every you need to bring back memories of the silver screen.