Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 July 2013
As this album was only released today I bought it unheard which can be a risky thing to do however the Autorip means that I can play the MP3s from my ipod whilst I wait for the CD to arrive.
I sat rather anxiously as the first few seconds of 'Jungle Souljah' began to play then at 1:10 it launched into full on Oldskool Jungle and suddenly 20 years melted away and we are in pre- DnB territory and it is pure hedonism.
Whilst the sound is very comfortable and oh so familiar equally it sounds fresh and a natural progression, evolution or 'Revolution' as the title suggests without straying too far from a much loved genre.
All the ingredients are there; seemingly chopped and sliced sampled drums, speaker destroying bass lines, sampled breaks, ragga and reggae style vocal stabs with the odd Jazz inspired instrument slice in the mix; in fact the only things missing are either the crackles from it spinning on a white label 12" on the 1210 or static from hearing it on a Pirate radio station broadcasting on a suspect FM channel late at night.
Hopefully this album will appeal both to fans of OldSkool Jungle/DnB and the younger generation who listen to fresh new British artists like Rudimental who themselves make more than a nod in the OldSkool direction in their creations.

In all I give it a full five stars because not only is it a very fulfilling album to listen to from both a nostalgic and a evolutionary perspective but it also shows a certain type of commitment in the fullest sense to a genre of British music long since consigned to history by so many.
A much welcome update to a familiar sound with massive respect to the heritage - Congo Natty and the crew are to be applauded on their creation and it deserves to sell by the bucketload.
on 1 August 2013
Before i brought this album i didn't know any of the songs or what it was gonna be like so it was a gamble for 9 pounds,But im not dissapointed not one bit,I now know every song on the album it gets played nearly everyday and as loud as my speakers can go,And when people ask me what my favourite tune is,I don't have one,Its my favourite album by far! Don't even think about buying this album and just DO IT,You wont regret it,Not one track
on 8 September 2013
i've been a fan of drum n bass / jungle for many years, so i'm a fan of the genre any way. But its the quality of the album that has truly amazed me, its fantastic.
The part of me that loves the original jungle vibe, gets awakened sharply with the general sound of the album, but its a sound that remains very relevant,with a Reggae/dub /Dance hall feel, its fantastic
Congo Natty the thinking mans junglist.
on 7 August 2013
I have been following this guy since 1992 and his output have increasingly been better and better. I didn't have any high hopes regarding this album however, because a whole album by an artist who usually put out 12" records usually aren't just that good (187 lockdown, artful dodger et al). But this...Congo Natty (Rebel MC) really delivers big time! If you are into "The wickidest sound" and tracks like that, this is the album for you. I'm amazed! The greatest jungle album of all times. Really:)
on 25 January 2016
This album has been a long time coming, dropping 12"bombs of righteousness for years, never selling out, Congo Natty is Jungle! I liken him to the Jah Shaka of Jungle, keeping the message of Rastafari and revolution throughout, but oldskool Ragga Jungle this ain't, with Adrian Sherwood on the mix this is 21St century music for the mind body and soul, Subbass that booms, breaks that snap sharp and hard, Jungle has come of age, join the revolution
on 10 August 2013
This album is beyond revolution,this is evolution,this is the new benchmark for future generations and artists today to aspire to.Congo Natty with this album is gonna grab you,shake you, and bounce you on his knee!When this is played through a big rig no drink is safe, the floor will be covered in glass.For me this is the best album ive heard all year,every track is killer,"get ready" stands out as a track that will always have the dancefloor rammed.Don't hesitate, don't finish this review get it in your basket quick,get it home and turn your soundsystem's up and introduce your neighbours to the revolution.
on 15 August 2013
This is basically the soundtrack to my summer of 2013. The mark of a LP is shown here by the fact that every track is wicked!! Congo Natty/The Rebel MC has delivered an instant classic for your ears.
on 15 November 2015
WOW! This album should be compulsory!!!
I could never get into Jungle in the 90's, there was too much one riddim shout stuff - heard one you'd heard them all but this! I'm struggling for words - it's a kind of roots reggae / drum and bass / dubstep / dub of the highest quality, mixed by an angel, with bass you need to measure on the richter scale!
I'm not even sure this does it justice. Do your ears a favour and don't delay any longer. My regret is that I didn't buy this two years ago!!!
Ps, another reviewer complained that this is London centric. Well Jungle developed in Hackney east London so I guess their complaint is that this is the genuine article.
A must have is JUNGLE REVOLUTION IN DUB same comments apply.
on 6 August 2013
I must confess, to start with, that I am one of those kids who likes new-school drum and bass. I came to the scene through Hospital and Ram. And I do love my jump-up drum and bass. But lately, I've just started to explore the past.

That's where this album comes in. For me, it is a fusion of everything enjoyable about jungle. The percussion is sharp and clean sounding, and provides the beat for the listener who would dance. The bass is heavy and deep, with little distortion (excepting on 'London Dungeons', where a distinct dub sound comes through). The instrumentation has strong reggae vibes, and makes one want to lie back and chill. The various MCs, including Rebel himself, skip over the beats at varying speeds and levels of comprehension (special mention to General Levy on 'UK Allstars'; how does he spit so fast?).

My one criticism of the album is the very preachy vibe to a lot of the lyrics; this is due, no doubt, to Congo Natty's very strong agenda and dislike of the perceived spread of Babylon in the UK. 'Micro Chip (Say No)' in particular comes across a little paranoid about the information revolution - but really, this doesn't hurt the music at all.

This is, for me, one of those albums which does not have a single bad song, and the playing of one track makes one immediately want to listen to the whole album. This could not be higher praise from me, a real shuffle fan!

In short, if you like jungle, drum and bass, reggae, or even if not, this album is definitely worth a listen. Although no one track could be said to stand out, I'd recommend a first listen being 'Jungle is I and I'.
on 28 October 2013
Bought this on a recommendation from a friend and it didn't disappoint. Some excellent basslines, rhythms and vocals all across the album. Track 1 is my favourite from my one full listen through so far but there's plenty of good tracks on here. If you like your jungle then buy this album!