on 26 October 2017
Bought to complete my Alice in chains collection great album well pleased
on 8 November 2017
I'm not someone who usually writes reviews for things(maybe this is a start for that), but I must admit that the the little friendly message I recieved with the CD made me feel a lot of warmth so I must thank you for that. The CD itself came in fantastic condition and I couldn't have asked for more.
on 18 July 2017
great album.delivered quick
on 9 November 2017
Good follow up to Black Gives Way To Blue, looking forward to the next album
on 18 July 2013
This album manages to follow what AIC did on Black Gives Way To Blue, yet they have evolved. Rarely any single vocal. Heavy sound yet songs that feel really slow - AIC create a sound landscape, they create atmosphere. Some great riffs, although not as memorable or prominent as on BGWTB.

The difference between TDPDH and BGWTB is that this album feels fuller, you really get a thick supply of sound whereas on BGWTB there was more space within the songs. Maybe, individually the songs on this album are not as strong as on BGWTB. Yet as an album, it is very coherent, it's got a great fluency to it and it just pulls you in. That's where I see the evolution. It's very engaging.
on 9 August 2013
I like this record and, by any standards, it is a great effort but , for the band that gave us Dirt and Alice in Chains, it can't help but disappoint. The songs simply are not as strong. But nevertheless it's great to have them back.
on 9 December 2014
Following the sad loss of Layne Staley in 2002, it would not have been unreasonable to suspect that Alice in Chains were never to release any more music. Fortunately, William DuVall (previously of several bands) was brought into the fold and contributed, with original AiC members Jerry Cantrell, Sean Kinney and Mike Inez, to the excellent 2009 album 'Black Gives Way To Blue'. This new offering shows a nice stylistic continuity- both from the previous album and what DuVall brought to the table and the 'original' AiC sound/ feel- whilst representing also a growth in confidence and innovation. Heavy, atmospheric instrumentation and the customary intertwining vocals combine to make for another great album from this great band.
on 27 August 2013
While this album might not reach the level of Dirt or Jar Of Flies it still manages to keep a high level of songwriting and musicianship from the band. While some tracks like Lab Monkey and Breath on a Window take a few listens to appreciate, there are also some really impressive tracks like the haunting title track, the doomy monster Hollow and the metallic juggernaut Phantom Limb. If I have one major complaint it is that William's vocals mostly just acompany Jerry`s. He is a very talented singer which he proved to me when I saw them live and the vocal harmonies while cool and chill inducing at times can get tiring in the long run. Give William some room Jerry! We all miss Layne but it's not sacrilege to let a new singer unlock his true potential.
on 24 February 2017
Just superb as always..
I've been trying to get Jerry's guitar sound for ever! Better buy his wah I suppose.
on 2 December 2014
I hate when band release a CD well after you'd ever imagined seeing another one... and it's falls short of your expectations, that sours you in some way about listen to the bands other material... Well, I'm more than happy to say that didn't happen for me listen to this (soon to be) classic album (when it's had a chance to prove).