Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 19 December 2013
First an admission; I'm not a Glee fan. Generally, dramas which involve people bursting into song at the drop of a hat fill me with dread. However, Smash is different. It's an adult drama with music, not a happy-clappy soap with songs. Series one had it's flaws, but the idea it was based around and the superb cast, plus an almost palpable feeling that everyone was doing their best to create a quality series drove it on.

There was everything needed to make it a success, and when the final episode aired it looked like, if the lessons were learned, it could make it. Unfortunately, that didn't happen, and series two wasn't as good as the first had been. Some of the characters seemed to act, well, out of character. The division of the two casts, as it were, was too contrived and predictable. Maybe the producers knew it would be cancelled, I don't know.

In any case, while it was still often enjoyable, it fell flat in places too, with some of the new characters being below par and very stereotypical. The writing wasn't as tight either. On the plus side, the original cast continued a sterling job, with both leading ladies showing that they are as talented as they are beautiful.

Notable mention has to be given to Jack Davenport, without whom this whole series would have been so much the less. It's always good to have a great actor playing a part that tests them, and the audience. Like many other major roles in US series at the moment, they call in a British actor, and it works.

I wish a third series had been commissioned but having seen how the writers struggled with a plot in this second I have no idea where the series could have gone from here. Maybe a few more episodes in this series would have resolved everything in a less rushed manner. All told though, for anyone thinking of buying Smash, I'd recommend it. For the series as a whole, I'd give four stars, for this season alone, if I could, I'd give three and a half stars rather than four.
on 8 November 2013
Im not really a fan of big budget musicals, Chicago and Moulin Rogue did nothing for me, but Smash had me hooked! People have said on here that Katherine Mcphee has a great career ahead. She was the American Idol winner a few years ago and has released a few albums!!!! Megan Hilty also as an album out and Hitlist is being turned in to musical which is being performed in December!!! Enjoy a great show on dvd and ignore the ill informed haters. Steve Speilberg couldn't save it and I bet he wasn't happy with the network one bit!
on 6 December 2013
This is so sad. I really liked Smash season one even if the critics didn't! I loved the singing, the choreography was stunning, I even liked the silly subplots. But season two is terrible. From the first episode we get assaulted by a million and one story lines. We meet the most unlikeable male lead ever. What I really liked about season one was that the actors were more mature and the dialogue sounded real. People ummed and arhed and then had a little conversation and then went back to the main point. It felt unrushed.
This season feels like it has been turned into Gossip Girl (which I personally liked but that's another review) with a younger cast and terrible screen writing. Such talent. Such promise. Such a let down.
on 17 April 2014
What can I say except I love it, I love it, I love it. Such a great series with amazing characters and fantastic songs. Devastated that it's all finished. I miss it sooo much..........
on 24 March 2014
I bought this for my mum for her birthday (for both of us really) as we loved the first series and it was brilliant. I would say the first season was slightly better but season 2 really is great, I mean, I still managed to cry. It is much more contemporary but still holds the musical theatre numbers. It develops the characters and relationships and leaves you grasping on for more. I am so sad that this series got cancelled as I would say that it is one of my all time favourite shows. Even after the final episode, I still haven't decided if I'm Team Karen or Ivy, I love them both. BUY THIS
on 8 November 2013
Sorry but i loved the 2nd series of smash as much as the first if not more,
the songs for "hit list" are brilliant but why can't we access them in the
UK, just love "Reach for Me". Come on lets have a Hit List CD
on 26 November 2013
I personally thought season 2 was slightly better than season 1. The introduction of the Hit List musical really expanded the story lines and the Hit List songs were really great.
There is some mistakes on the DVD cover, it says both 15 and 17 episodes are included. They're both true because episodes 1 & 2 and episodes 16 & 17 are combined into single episodes, but with double the length.
Overall an amazing TV show and such a shame it was cancelled.
on 18 January 2014
Every bit as good as series one... Love it...!!! A grown up Glee.. great performances - look forward to series three.
on 29 May 2014
It was all change for season 2 and, it seemed, telling the story of bringing a musical to Broadway was no longer enough. I found the new story lines and characters ineffective. Still, nice to know what happened to Bombshell ... sadly, I suspect we missed a treat not seeing Huston & Levitt's musical version of The Great Gatsby reach the stage - Derek's staging of the party scenes would have been a spectacular, no doubt!
on 18 October 2015
LOVE Smash And This Season Introduces Jeremy Jordan Who Everyone Should Listen To As He's Incredible!! Katharine McPhee Is Also FANTASTIC In This! Some Great Vocal Numbers 'Broadway Here I Come' 'Heart Shaped Wreckage' 'I Can't Let Go' & 'Rewrite The Story' As well As Some Great Production Numbers 'A Thousand And One Nights' Perfect For Any Musical Fan! A Must Watch