on 20 August 2013
In a television piece I saw yesterday, it stated that One Direction could become the first billionaire boy band .... such is their appeal, the music is incidental! What a world we live in...

Fortunately, we have Steve Mason in it too. 15 years after first seeing The Beta Band perform an unforgettable performance on stage, samurai swords, swapping instruments without dropping a beat etc, in front of a lucky handful, he releases this wee gem. Not a bad track on it. This really is an impressive piece of work. And it flows so well, from the Jock Scot-esque spoken intro of 'The Old Problem' all the way through to 'Come to Me'.

It's hard not to want to listen to this in it's entirety, because that's what it deserves. A proper album then and a real pleasure.
7 people found this helpful
on 20 April 2013
This is a collection of quality songs from Steve Mason. I bought his last album after hearing "All Come Down", which is a lovely song. The rest of the album was OK but I hadn't marked Steve down on my "must buy" list of artists.

Then I heard "Oh My Lord" on 6 music, the pre-album single from this release. Again, I found it extremely catchy and singing along whenever it came on the radio. I took the plunge with Monkey Minds... and I'm so happy that I did. The album is full of classy tunes and is constructed as an album, great to listen to from start to finish as one.

This will be high up on many Best Of.. lists towards the end of the year, maybe a Mercury nomination???
on 31 December 2013
Monkey Minds In the Devil's Time by Steve Mason (2013)
A review by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh.

I bought Monkey Minds In the Devil's Time by Steve Mason last week and can honestly say it has proven itself to be a deeply empowering, rewarding and uplifting lyrical and musical experience. I keep going back to it and playing it from start to finish. It cruises and glides magnificently and is without doubt my album of choice from 2013.

Each time I listen to it I rediscover bits of myself and how I used to think back when I was at my most creative as a writer. I really needed that to happen. Everything that the song's music and lyrics are playing and saying has resynchronised me with me, the world I'm in and all I have lived my entire life to be.'

Seriously folks, if you want to feel alive and fully reconnected again. Buy yourselves or someone you 'dig' a copy of Monkey Minds In the Devil's Time by Steve Mason. I can assure you that good things will happen :) ...
on 12 April 2016
Its good listening and I like the mixture of little snippets in between the main songs. Its not his hest work though and I think only has a few stand out tracks
on 26 March 2014
Great album, a real grower.

I'd not heard of Steve Mason until this year, so I'm no die-hard fan or anything.

I think this would appeal to many different tastes and has good longevity. Track 4 'Lot of Love' is a beautifully written song.
on 14 June 2013
Excellent album full of interesting and varied tracks. This is the best solo Steve Mason album yet. If it had another "Dr. Baker", or "It's All To Beautiful" on it, it would rise above the Beta Band offerings. Good olde worlde LP style cover too!
on 30 October 2017
graet
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 7 March 2017
Not as good as planets
on 15 June 2013
Brilliant album this, have listened to sm's music since 3e.p's and has always delivered the goods, highly recommended. Also like the 'divine comedy' theme sleeve/cd design!
on 5 August 2013
Fan of the now de-funked Beta band for a long time - so really looked forward to getting this album from the band's frontman Steve Mason. And it doesn't dissapoint - coule of the smaller tracks on it - not quite sure why they're there as in my opinian they don't really add much, but overall the album is suberb.