Customer reviews

Format: Audio Download|Change

on 13 May 2013
Sportonomics is the perfect companion for sports fans at the airport, on the plane, by the pool, or in the back garden this summer. Each chapter is packed with facts and figures that are either funny, interesting, extraordinary, and in some cases just plain daft!
An excellent source of sports trivia for the serious statto, or just a bit of a laugh for sports fans, there's something for everyone.
on 26 April 2013
For those who like humorous facts, money stats and sport(s) then you'll definitely enjoy this book. Having said that some of the subjects referred to should strike a chord with even those who don't necessarily enjoy sport but recognise that the world of sport(s) doesn't always confirm to regular economic principles. Or regular principles of most peoples lives for that matter.
As with a previous book I've read by this author it's clearly been well researched using many different sources which adds to the credibility of the information referenced. Newsham also puts a humorous spin on this information and relates it to himself/ourselves in a cleverly engaging way. I recommend.
on 13 June 2013
I really enjoyed this book and loved the fascinating comparisons. Although the author is very funny, the well researched facts also caused me to think about the consequences of all the money floating about in sport. The average salary of a nurse compared to what Alan Hansen earns, for instance, brings home the irrationality of how money is spent in society. It also highlights the incredible excess that sport thrives on. I took the book on a cycling trip to France and really enjoyed reading it as I considered the contrast between my own simple sporting efforts and the crazy world of professional sport. A perfect book for any sports fan.
on 17 May 2013
Bought this to take on holiday and it was perfect for dipping in and out of its bumper mix of off the wall Sports articles. Lots of facts you might not know,
food for thought in places and easy to read thoughout. Reckon it would make an excellent pressie for those with a general interest in the world of sport
but also enough in here to appeal to the more seasoned sports nut.
on 8 May 2013
Who said maths and sport don't mix? A lot of research must have gone into this book but in a fun way Gavin Newsham has achieved just the right blend to make sports statistics add up. I feel I now know just what it is like to face a 120mph tennis service
on 8 May 2013
Sport lovers will enjoy this book that is stat-packed and written with both humour and clarity. Original and creative, Sportonomics is a must-read for every die-hard sports fan.
on 25 April 2013
An original and humorous take on the obsession of sporting stats, I only put the book down once I'd got to the end. Can't wait for the sequel.
on 1 April 2014
It was exactly what I expected. The process of this purchase worked efficiently and the product was exactly as described.
on 31 August 2013
Having read the Freakonomics books I was expecting this to be similar but focused on sport. Freakonomics was full of interesting conclusions that I'd either never considered or were counter-intuitive, I didn't agree with all of them but they got me thinking about things differently. Sportonomics seems more concerned with quantifying things that are obvious eg. using an F1 car as your family car would be expensive (I know that so giving me an mpg figure isn't that interesting). There are a few of the chapters that were interesting however most weren't (to me anyway) so overall I was disappointed and wouldn't recommend this to anyone who has read the Freakonomics books and is expecting something similiar. If you are looking for trivia such as the speeds of various ball sports and which one is the fastest (I won't give away the answer) then this could be the book for you.