Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

1,329
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 14 May 2013
I bought this book after being directed to the reviews. It is the author's first book and I hope that his future novels maintain this standard. I was hooked from the first few pages - the characters are developed as the story moves along at a fast pace, with the number of victims steadily rising. A great, enjoyable read that will have you absorbed from beginning to end. I can't wait for the next instalment.
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2013
Following other reviews, thought I'd try `Nameless,' the debut novel from new author Joe Conlan.
It's a gripping read that keeps you page turning right from start to finish. He cleverly draws you into this thriller, back-grounding the main characters and even extracts sympathy from you when you learn of the villain's upbringing. That doesn't last, as the young Shem turns into a nasty, violent and perverse serial killer. Against this, you have FBI agent Daniel Falcone. He too has had childhood problems, but he chose a different side of the law. However, through a mind-tormenting indiscretion, he is drawn into Shem's twisted world. The story follows paths you don't expect, and the lead up to the conclusion is gruesome but riveting.
It's a must read book, and highly recommended. The only disappointment is the wait you have for the follow up.
22 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 July 2013
I am a huge crime/thriller fan and bought this (very cheap) offering having read all the glowing reviews. The brevity and poor grammar/spelling of many of the top reviews should have made me suspicious. I am sorry to say that I just couldn't get into the book at all and I persevered for a few days. I found the endless details and back stories really slowed down the plot and I struggled to care about the hero and heroine. The bad guy's ability to be good at everything, despite the most awful childhood, just stretched my disbelief beyond anything I could accept. I accept some descriptions of violence to be a necessary part of this genre, but I felt that there was too much here - and it wasn't relevant or necessary to be so detailed (and boring. Halfway through, I ground to a halt, and went back to the reviews to see if I had missed anything. One of the reviews revealed a massive plot point. I am ashamed to say I was relieved....at last, an excuse to stop reading this awful book. Many people seemed to have enjoyed it and that is fine, but it just wasn't for me.
44 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 July 2013
I don't know how this book has received as many 4 and 5 star reviews as it had - does the author have a marketing trick? It has no redeeming features. It is badly written: bad/clunky dialog (countless examples but to give just one, how many FBI Special Agents in Charge would refer to themselves as Special Agent in Charge when talking to another FBI agent, rather than just SAC? None), bad characterisation, implausible characters (of course I'm prepared to overlook a high degree of implausibility, that goes with the territory of thriller writing, but the villain in this one had just such implausible skills given his upbringing that it didn't work for me) and bad/unbelievable plot. Time and time again it was just too implausible. One key section relies on the bad guy staying on a cruise ship for a week and then hacking in to the cruise ship's database and deleting his record. There is then no record to be found. Given the investigation is taking place at the end of that week, don't you think there'd be at least 20 hard copy printouts of passenger manifests on the ship, to say nothing of in the port records etc? I could go on and on pointing out the errors in this but that would get repetitive, rather like the constant and gratuitous descriptions of violence throughout the book.

In short, it reads like a very extended, rather disturbed essay written by a not very talented teenager

I love thrillers - from Lee Child, Harlan Coben, Jeffrey Deaver to name just a few - and I read a lot of them (probably 50 a year - I travel a lot and read on planes to distract myself) so I have to look outside the big names. I won't be reading any more of this guy. I only finished the book because I hate to leave a book unfinished and I was on a 13 hour flight with nothing else left to read. It still wasn't worth it.
1010 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2013
This book had a very attractive and atmospheric cover graphic which suited the genre. The books' layout and structure were professional, demonstrating good use of language with clear dialogue between the characters.
As to the content of the book itself, I was really impressed with the exciting and detailed plot, which displayed real creativity.
Unlike many books in this genre, this was a credible read, with true to life characters. The author gave the impression that he had thoroughly researched into the psyche of his serial killer.
Albeit there was a certain naivete displayed in character plotting, in regard to a black and white approach to right and wrong with no clear resolution. ...no doubt clear scope for a follow-up book here!
However,
ultimately definitely a book I would recommend!
on 6 August 2013
They need to create a new category - zero stars. I hate to give this book even one star. It was dreadful and yes I did complete it. In the end I had to skim over pages and pages of dribble just to find out if there was anything relevant to the inane story line. I have to agree with a lot of the reviewers here about the cretinous writing style, the one dimensional characters, gratuitious violence and sex and the enormous gaping holes in the logic of the story. An abysmal book. I will never start a new book by this author.
Just for my sanity's sake I need to emote - how does this rediculous man think a human, no matter how incredibly well endowed with "intelligence" could ever reach his full potential given the incredibly poor start nutritionally,intellectually,and emotionally. He was born to a junkie in the back of a dirty van. He would have been born addicted with drug induced brain damage.The baby was never fed, he didn't get enough calcium to achieve anything like his optimum height, the boy was never taught, not even English!, the child was never touched except with violence. How on earth could anyone imagine this person could grow to be 6'2", healthy and vital with the ability to do advanced engineering, advanced computing, understand the financial world enough to manipulate it to te point he achieves financial independence, advanced weaponry, and so on?Gag me with a spoon, it is so rediculous
Then there is the gratuitous sexual violence - any woman who is raped so viciously and continually with cuts that, let's face it, would fester and debilitate any normal person, doesn't just spring up and get on with being happy housewife. They wouldn't be able to. Being raped is not something that happens and then it is over ... next ! It is a serious attack on a person. The hours of rape this author describes just isn't physically possible. Sorry to dent men's egos but going in out, in out brings a man to a climax a little shorter than hours. There would be no lubrication. She would be torn to hell and incapable of sitting down from the anal rape and walking generally. This must have been written by one incredibly misogynistic childish little boy.
Enough emoting . Rediculous story
on 16 October 2014
If I was judging this book solely on the basis of its plot – the FBI's search for a serial killer – then I would probably give it more than 2 stars. However, it’s not particularly well-written (at the least, it could do with better editing) and the character of the serial killer, who possesses the abilities of a comic book super-villain is just not credible. However, what I found really disturbing was the detailed descriptions of sexual violence – although I finished reading the book, I almost wish I hadn’t done, as I found these too extreme for my taste in crime fiction.

It is clear from the number of 4 and 5 star ratings which other readers have given this book that a lot of people will really enjoy it, but I suggest you may wish to give it a miss.
on 6 March 2016
I can count on one hand the amount of books I have ever given up on before the end but this was one of them.I didn't feel empathy for any of the characters,the main characters attributes were implausible and the gore made me feel in need of a shower every time I read any of it.This was a cheap book,glad I didn't waste lots of money on it.
on 15 July 2013
I'm sorry but how did this book get good reviews? The dialogue between the characters is horrendous and seemingly written by a 13 year old school girl. The only plus point of this book was the 30p price tag which is still 30p too expensive. Do yourself a favour and get a good J.A Kerley featuring great characters and great storytelling.
on 2 March 2014
I found the bad guy character unbelievable. How could anyone achieve the things he did without a formal education? The story was drawn out and contained too much description of graphic violence. I usually like tense thrillers but not this one. I considered abandoning it several times but skipped through quite a lot of it to get to the end which was disappointing.