on 2 May 2013
After recently completing Dougs 2012/13 School for Creative Startups course I was so excited to learn about his book. Although the course covered everything and more, having 'How to Start a Creative Business' would have been an invaluable tool to compliment the course. After jamming my copy of the book with notes taken during the course it is now my Bible.

Well laid out and full of useful advice this is the ideal tool to compliment any budding entrepreneur looking to start their own business, this book is the kickstart you'll need. Most valuable are Dougs 10 Questions, by working through each one you'll be able refine and define your business. This is the perfect book for anyone with a creative idea or business, whether you're just at the ideas stage or in the early development of you creative business. Written in the same manner and voice that Doug teaches, it's easy to understand, straight-forward and no nonsense.
on 30 April 2013
As someone starting a craft business (and finding it all a bit frustrating)I exhaled as soon as I started flicking through this. Recommended by a friend who's actually taken a course with Doug Richard - and thinks he's brilliant - I had high hopes. Thankfully I can report this book is currently living up to expectation. It's clearly and engagedly laid out (really has been designed with the creative person in mind!) The advice is clear, makes sense and is inspiring. I'm working through it chapter by chapter and so far I've found it both challenging and encouraging. It's a little like having a business coach who combines tough love with cheerleading! The best thing for me is that, as a crafter I've read many 'how to start a craft business' books. They tend to concentrate on the 'kitchen table' type business. This book is far more ambitious for you which is exciting. Highly recommended.
on 19 May 2013
The book is clear, concise, useful and motivational. I discovered a lot of things I didn't knw about, even though I would consider myself business savvy.
Highly recommended!
on 26 May 2015
Who thought the spindly blue typeface was a good idea? It's hard to read - and worse, the info boxes have blue or green backgrounds. It makes what should have been an accessible intro to setting up and running a small business a struggle.
In terms of content, it covers the usual ground from devising your USP, pricing methods, routes to market etc - I particularly liked the section on affiliates where the example given was a small B&B rather than a large company (I mean, obviously Paul Smith is a creative business, but how they run their well-established business around the globe isn't exactly relevant to most business start-ups who are the target readership for this book, ditto John Lewis). Also useful were the 'jargon busters' which explained marketing-speak in normal terms.
Overall, I thought it was well written but I can't see myself ever going back and re-reading it.
on 15 April 2013
How to Start a Creative Business is essential for anyone wanting to set up a business in the creative field. Frankly, whatever business you're about to set up, you would find this book very helpful. Doug Richard explains in clear, easy-to-read steps how to do it and make a profit. It's nicely laid-out in chunks with lots of recaps to make sure you've really got it! It also sets out the boring stuff (cash-flow forecasts etc) in a way that doesn't put you off. Having run a creative business myself I really wish I had had this book before I started. I would certainly have made a lot more money than I did and had a lot less heartache. These are tough times in which to set up a business, particularly a creative one so give yourself all the help you can manage - read it!
on 18 March 2013
I've recently started setting up my own creative business and stumbled across this book. I found it extremely useful, asking exactly the right questions (most of which I hadn't even considered myself), and leading me effortlessly down the path to a complete understanding of exactly what I needed to do to succeed.

I found the book immersive and rigorously straightforward. Unlike other business books I have previously read, Richard grounds his advice in simple to follow, concise real world examples from highly familiar companies.

Finally a business book that might actually be the catalyst for real businesses!
on 6 June 2014
This book explains in clear language how to build an understanding of your business and your market and devise a business model and plan that suits accordingly. Clear examples and case studies really help .
on 1 May 2013
I am finding this book enormously supportive. It is illustrated with peoples business stories, which brings the teaching to life. I fold down the corner of the page, when there is some advice that I want to implement into my own creative business and now that corner of the book is twice as thick.
Very helpful and I recommend it unreservedly.
on 10 April 2014
This is a great book for anyone looking to start a business in a creative industry. It is written in a straightforward way with no jargon, and includes exercises to help the reader really think about their potential business and getting it off the ground. Highly recommended.
on 18 May 2013
Helpful, informative, insightful. The are 10 questions must be asked, addressed and answered by any budding entrepreneur BEFORE they put any serious money or time into a new start-up. As the opening page states, "not all companies are born equal".

Nick Horton @collaboworld