Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.89

on 26 February 2014
This is an old-fashioned novel written many years ago which tells the story of a missionary priest in China during the early years of the 20th century. It is written with a simplicity of style and a great depth of feeling which characterises so many of Cronin's novels. I first read this over fifty years ago, and have just come back to Cronin after seeing this edition, quite accidentally on one of the Kindle pages. Some parts of the book are strangely moving; the relationship between a worldly priest and a simple servant of God is as apt today asd it was then. If you enjoy a simple and moving story well-told, then I highly recommend that you turn back to this author. Other works include The Citadel and 'The Stars Look Down' and are equally as evocative. You will not be disappointed
on 7 October 2013
Not a writer I had come across before but read on the off-chance. The opening was a bit grim, but gradually the book becomes more and more impressive. It is the sort of work that restores one's faith in the potential of human nature. But neither does it gloss over our failures from warring bandits to religious bigots. Faith, hope and charity can though shine through the darkness - but only just and with a great deal of hard work and suffering along the way.
on 25 April 2016
It's great to be able to access all of AJCronin's work on kindle.Fifty years ago I read many of them in paperback before they became hard to find.Now working thro the kindle editions and a great privilege it is.Keys is typical Cronin with it's great plot,very believable characters and uplifting story ,he has never written anything commonplace and this one is superb.Surely it is time for his work to be available in book form.File under classics.
on 7 August 2014
A very good book with a whole list of interesting characters.
Many adventures for this energetic priest.
Great feeling during the time in China.
A bit upsetting when most of his friends died.

Will continue to read AJCronin.
on 10 April 2013
Enjoyed it and found the format very acceptable. Enjoyed the kindle purchase. Will try this format again. ONLY my KINDLE recently and it is a revelation
on 16 July 2014
THE KEYS OF THE KINGDOM IS MY CRONIN FAVOURITE BOOK . IT IS WRITTEN WITH GREAT INSIGHT INTO HUMAN

NATURE AND IS HONEST AND COMPASSIONATE. ALTHOUGHT WRITTEN YEARS AGO IT IS STILL FRESH AND

ENGAGING ; ONE OF THE BOOKS YOU CAN GO BACK .
on 26 January 2015
It's been 30 years since I read any of AJ Cronin works and this title is new to me. It's well written and the characterisations are sound. If you want to be learn of how gritty life was for our fore fathers and the sincerity of the times. It's a good read.
on 7 September 2014
I read this book 40 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a very poor memory so I decided to reread it. I wasn't disappointed. AJ Cronin is a great story teller. His characters are believable and the story flows well.
on 1 May 2016
Having read and enjoyed some of Cronins more famous books many years ago, I decided to give this one a try. It was like putting on an old pair of slippers. Cronins easy style and heartwarming stories never fail to please. I'm glad I have rediscovered him again, and this book has encouraged me to read some more.One of my favourite authors.
on 1 October 2013
It is so good to read a book bout someone who is through and through good. I learned a lot about China and about poverty and the triumph of good over evil. I would love to think that more young people would read this.