on 23 August 2016
First off lets get one thing clear. If your not getting the PS VR then this product is pretty useless as there is next to no software that support it now. Yes you get the playroom and some games support voice commands but they are very limited. Even using the microphone for chatting during the games is very hit and miss due to the fact the microphone is so far away.

My kids do enjoy playing with the robots through in the playroom so it does keep them quiet. I've not tried any of the dance games so not sure how well it works with those.

However if your going to invest in PlayStation VR then this item is a must as it's required to track the headgear used by PS-VR. It comes with a basic mount that can be used to elevate the camera off a surface such as a TV stand or can be hooked around so it can hang off the top of a TV.

All in all it's worth the money but only if you are getting the Virtual Reality kit due in October 2016.
3 people found this helpful
on 23 December 2016
The PS4 camera is a big improvement on the PS3 Eye Camera, but it has a few downsides:

1) It requires a special cable, this is a modified USB 3 Cable which carries 12 volts. If you consider Sony could have added an additional power socket and had the camera use a standard USB cable. Also the camera uses USB 3, USB 2 provides 400Mbps and will work over 5m cables, where as USB 3 has a maximum length of 3m. Blu-ray works at 45Mbps, considering the two camera feeds a USB 2 cable would have been more than enough.

This matters if you keep you PS4 anyone other than near the camera. The camera comes with a 2m lead and you can buy after market extension leads 2m long. Chaining extension leads to reach a PS4 is hit an miss as I've gotten away with 4 extension leads, while a friend can only use two and still have use of the camera.

2) No video calling, one of the best features of the PS3 was the ability to video call other PS3 owners (most of my family have PS3's as a result). The PS4 doesn't support video calling.

3) Not used by games, The PS3 Move controllers are used by a number of games (mostly party games) so you get your moneys worth from them. However I haven't really found any Move style games for the PS4 outside of the PSVR games.
on 11 May 2016
Not sure why I bought this now, it does what it says but the PS4 has very little use for the camera, at present the only use I can find is Singstar (I mean where I actually want to use it). It is also meant to allow quick login using your face but I may try to turn this off, additionally it also allows a limited amount of voice control which it is actually pretty good at but I would like Sony to allow voice control during Blu Ray playback.

I have heard that it may be of some use for VR but that I feel may be an expense too far.
One person found this helpful
on 27 October 2016
Once you've enjoyed the out of the box experience with Playroom, you're left thinking...now what?

Unless you intend to get on to PSVR some time after getting this camera, I can honestly recommend that you skip it.

You'll likely forget about the voice functionality but it's nice to use it as a mic when gaming as it picks up voices well and does a great job of cancelling game sounds if using your TV/external speakers as opposed to headphones.

I would love it if I could secure login by face only backed up by a PIN. As it stands, you *need* to do both which makes it just an extra step if trying to add some basic security to your PS4.
on 6 January 2018
Came with camera stand, pity it didnt make it clear in description, I could have saved money buying an additional stand that I didn't need. For that ommission I hate this because it has watsed my money for which I blame Amazon for not ensuring the accuracy of all descriptions and not providing a way to report Amazon delivered descriptions.
on 19 November 2016
I liked it but when I first purchased ps4 camera it was going great but when I made a discovery at the bottom of PS4 camera it was a fake one its not the real legit, so the question is why are Sony team letting these fake people getting way with fake goods amazon shouldn't be selling fake goods amazon should do some investigation on all fake goods and not to sell them online.
on 26 February 2016
The camera itself works perfectly and it even comes with the stand which allows you to sit your camera on top of a flat screen TV. Or you can rest it flat on a TV stand, shelf or whatever. But you really have to like the games that allow you to use the camera like JustDance. Otherwise there's not much use for the camera except the playroom on PS4.
on 9 October 2017
bought this a long time ago to be honest I don't really use this as often as there aren't many compatible games, but its great entertainment for kids
on 5 January 2016
This is nice and easy to set up, just plug in and play, which is what you would expect but these days everything seems to need a download or account somewhere before you can activate it. You can be using this camera within minutes. I can't fault this at all but there is a distinct lack of games for it at the moment. I hope that will change.
on 11 May 2018
delivery on time product as described by seller good product