Platform: PlayStation3|Change

on 29 June 2013
I've been looking for a motorbike racing game for the playstation for a while but pretty much all have very mixed reviews, but I bit the bullet when it came to this game - being new an'all!

At first, it is very tricky to get used to the handling and how to get the bike going properly - and I ONLY play racing games so tend to be fairly good at getting the hang at games like this! (...Crap at every other sort of game). But once you get the hang of it and find how to keep smooth, this game become awesome!

AI is the best of any racing game I've played - They will make the odd optimistic dive (and then missing the apex) and will be willing to move off line to get around you unlike the usual AI on games! Put the settings to realistic and its quite a challenge to get through the pack, let alone lead it - a top 5 feels like a win!

The game does have a few little niggles - for example, don't expect super accurate tracks - they are close, but will have bits which are very off the real thing.
Graphics aren't mind blowing like a few other racing titles, but that really isn't an issue
There are also a few graphic glitches (which I presume may get resolved with a few updates since it's early days)

But in general, once you are used to it, it is a fantastic game!
on 29 June 2013
Us motorcycle racing (game) fans aren't exactly spoiled when it comes to quality on our consoles. I only need to refer you to the last incarnation of this game to prove that, i suddenly found that one of my all time favorite games ever (more on that in a sec) had turned into bloody Mario Kart, with really gimmicky, arcadey type stuff that i'm not even sure you could turn off, I neither know or care, i owned it for all of 2-3 hours max, didn't want to entertain another moment with that tripe. It still hurts to this day!

I'm not sure its a popular choice, but the last MotoGP game that I enjoyed was 08. Not because of the excellent physics or above average graphics (!) but the fact that it was a challenge, and without sounding like a snob, not everybody could play it! You needed time and perseverance to succeed in this game. Every single corner a challenge to get the bike pulled up, leaned in and fired out, all the while 20 other bikes trying to do the same thing within the same foot-and-a-half of tarmac. Make no mistake, this was a game for bikers.

This made for FANTASTIC online racing. I just remember the same 50-or-so gamers on there, all of them brilliant, i'd love to name them but this was 4-5 years ago and lifes too short!

Races were tense, varied and exciting. There were no missiles to launch at each other, there were no power ups, no boost button, you either stayed with the pack or they left you for dead. There was always a kind of 'underlying respect' as well. Any idiot can cut corners and cheat, but no, on here, you had to OUT-MANEUVER your opponent to beat them, otherwise you, or both of you crash and your out of contention. Simples.

I finally took the cellophane off my copy of MotoGP 13 last night. I was tentative. Ive read encouraging things about this game but i'm a picky so-and-so.

After waiting the 3 decades for the game to install an update (i'm so sick of this) i was finally in the game menu. Without anymore haste, I selected "Instant Race". I was put onto a CRT machine (Espargaro's for you fans), and well...........theres stuff wrong, BUT - theres one massive thing thats right!!!!

The graphics aren't all that great, tracks are lifeless (as per usual) and it all looks a little bit cheap to be honest. Then you hear the bikes, this is by far my biggest issue with this game. The bikes simply dont sound like bikes, particularly the CRT bike i raced my first race with. For me, it takes actual effort to make the bikes sound this poor when (I dont know, i'm not a game designer) it surely would have been easier to just record, yer know, the actual sound of the bikes, and not an old chainsaw in someones back garden. The sound makes a bike game more involving, it immerses you more, but no, they've gone with fake, silly noises that just distract you on here, you have been warned.

But now down to the real business. It doesn't matter about graphics or sexy menus, what matters is the physics or handling. As i've already mentioned, the previous MotoGP game threw all of the brilliance of 08 out the window and replaced it with something that made you feel like you were on rails almost. Well, this happy race fan can report that this game handles really well. I'm currently in SBK mode. Since MotoGP went all 'nintendo', I switched over to the other Bike game I love, SBK 10. Its the same story over there. Graphics aren't great (to the point where its difficult to distinguish the apex of a corner from anything else), the sound isn't quite there, menus can be confusing. BUT. The physics in this game are 2nd to none. The bikes squirm for grip under breaking, you can throw shapes and back the bikes into corners, you can slide and control the bikes with ease, they feel heavy and planted.

Its for this reason that I was terrible on my first go on MotoGp 13, but I wasn't so terrible that I couldn't tell that the handling in this game is peachy. Bikes are ligher, quicker and snatchier (i'm pushing my vocabulary here!) compared to those in the SBK franchise, but i suppose thats exactly what its like in real life. Superbikes are fast and heavy, MotoGP bikes are very fast and very light.

The individual breaking systems (front and back) work brilliantly. This is something that ive noticed a few maybe, less experienced, bike race fans are struggling with.

**There are 2 breaks in a bike game because the breaks perform 2 jobs. The front breaks stop you (as do the back ones, but not as powerful), whereas the rear breaks can be used to close your trajectory in a corner.**

Your certainly not on rails either. I spent most of my first race sliding down the road, but i knew where i went wrong. Acceleration is good. AI is good. All of this hands itself to a really action packed and exciting race. Something I've craved since I put MotoGP 08 to bed.

Its going to take some getting used to, the engine breaking alone was enough to throw me, but ultimately, I just felt a warm glow in my gut, I knew that sooner or later, i may be able to join my online racing buddies once again for some proper, gripping, intense action. This was all that mattered to me, just get the handling right. The new designers (again, i dont speak "game" speak, I think its Capcom that made this), either way have really come up trumps on this one. I would like to convey my personal gratitude!!!!

Thanks for reading. Hope this helps in your purchase.
on 28 June 2013
Anyone who is a fan of MotoGP games will appreciate the direction Milestone has taken this year's version in! Great physics and AI, all the 2013 riders and tracks, and a whole lot to keep you busy!
on 20 September 2013
This game is great. I loved it. It doesn't have the accuracy of Gran Turismo but its 'playability' (if I can say that) is great and the races are very competitive. Career is cool, if you do well you are invited to move teams, you have a 'social network' that keeps sending messages every race which kind of feels like a rider. I'm a big fan of racing game and this one I'm very happy to have.
on 15 July 2013
Bad stuff out the way: there are a few small glitches. Quite often when you're sitting in your pit garage, with the option of 'go to track', your bike won't be on it's stand ready, and then it'll suddenly appear. And sometimes, in the post-race highlights, your bike can be riderless, and then in the next shot you're on the bike again. The graphics in your motorhome (career mode) are a little rough, (and in the pit garage) and the emails/social feed messages you get during the career mode are very generic. And the game front cover....in reality the ps3 version is the same as all the other versions with Crutchlow at the front, Lorenzo and Rossi following....I wonder if Yamaha paid out for that?

And this is still a 5* game because none of that matters! Is it the best racer on ps3? Maybe not, (burnout paradise is for me) but it *is* the best sim racer. This game laughs in the face of gran turismo 5, and is just downright more fun than any of the codemasters racers, (f1/grid/dirt). Be warned! MotoGP 13 has a steep learning curve, but once you 'get' it, it's the most rewarding and addictive racer I've ever played. If you're unsure, download the demo off psn.

I'm playing it with the AI on 'hard' (easy/medium/hard/realistic), the physics on 'standard' (standard/semi-pro/pro), joint brakes on, (you do have the option to control the front and rear brakes separately) auto tuck-in, (you can choose whether to manually 'tuck-in' your rider on the straights/sit up when approaching corners) and auto gears. I've got the brake and steering assists off. I've also got tyre wear/mechanical failures/disciplinary flags all off, (which they are by default but can all be turned on)....and I'm just loving it!

First off you create a rider; then you have a choice of instant race, (motogp class, random rider/random track) grand prix, (choose from moto3/moto2/motogp, choose your rider - altho some are locked and you have to level up to unlock them - and choose your track, whether you want to do a full weekend/qualifying & race/just race, choose the weather etc). You also have a championship option, so you can choose to do a whole championship in any of the 3 classes, and then you have the meat of the game - career. In career you play as the rider you created and you have your own motorhome, where you can customize your rider more/check emails/social feeds etc. You start off as a wild card in four moto3 races, and if you meet all your objectives then you go on to do a full moto3 season. If you do well you get offered a moto2 ride and so on....

There's also 2-player split screen, and multiplayer. In multiplayer there's the usual options of quick race/custom race etc, and also full online championship :)

One thing to note, when doing a race in any of the offline modes; the default option is race-only, 15% race length, and the AI is set to easy, brake assist is on etc etc, so if you want to do qualifying/practice, a longer race, and crank up the difficulty etc then you have to go into 'racing aids' and 'race options'. Once you've changed it, the game saves your preferences tho :)

So the racing? Well it's awesome! The physics are perfect. When you crash you know it's fair; it's because you were braking too hard while lent over, or you squeezed on too much gas too early etc. If you hammer the brakes on the approach to a corner the back wheel will skip, and if you really overdo it you'll do an 'endo' but you don't go straight over the handle bars in an unrealistic way. Equally pulling back and accelerating too hard will pull off a wheelie, which if overdone can send you off the back. The bikes feel brilliantly nimble, yet planted and the way you can slide the back wheel out when winding the throttle on, on the exit to a corner is just epic. It's amplified more when you move the physics from standard to semi-pro or pro, so you have to practice careful throttle control. The AI is also brilliant, making lunges, but not too aggressive like the maniacs in the 'nfs shift' games, but definitely not on rails like gran turismo.

When racing the graphics too are top notch, photo realistic, with a silky framerate. The 360 version looks to be getting a lot of complaints of bad slowdown, but not so on the ps3. Have we got the better version of a game for once? Anyway, it's perfect, and has a great photo mode you can activate during the replay, (the replay, not the race highlights. You can press square when it's displaying the race results to watch the entire race again from a variety of cameras. Pause, fast forward, watch in slow-mo and take photos, which can be exported to the xmb and used as cool wallpapers (atm i've got vale and bradl cornering at Laguna) etc :)) The sound too - to me is very very good; a lot of professional and customer reviews seem to criticize the sound as sounding like a guy swinging a chainsaw, or just generally very weak, but put this through a decent set of speakers or headphones and it sounds real to me.

The presentation when you start a race is ripped straight out of British eurosport, which makes it feel super authentic.

I just really cannot recommend this game enough. It's niche, so it's a shame not many people will take any notice of it; the casual race fan would be more likely to take a random punt on stuff like 'grid 2' - which is a let-down of a game - but the care and effort which has been ploughed into this is brilliant, and the sheer racing, handling model and overall physics are all just spot on!

If you like racers, and are prepared to initially put some effort into learning how to play this game properly, then just buy buy buy. It's seriously a top draw game, and deserves support :)
on 23 July 2013
The last couple of releases in this series have been too 'arcadey' for my liking, but this iteration hits the spot. Great graphics, and gameplay combine to make an enjoyable experience.
on 28 August 2013
Game not avalible in US so I'm glad I found it on Amazon UK. I've been waiting for a realistic riding simulation game,and this one is much better than the last Moto GP and SBK games. If you turn off all the riding aids and turn down the traction control, (you can adjust while riding) the bike physics feel very realistic in my opinion. There are so many options to adjust your bikes handling when your in the pits,which you can feel on the track Out of the box the graphics are good but have alot of glitches, but online patch does fix most of them. If your a Moto GP fan or ride a sport bike I think you'll like this game.
on 19 August 2013
My 17 year old requested this game and loved it. We live in the US and it was very easy to order it from UK Amazon. It got to us pretty quickly. Would definitely not hesitate to order again through the UK site.
on 2 June 2014
Great career mode. I really like rising through moto 3 and moto 2. The graphics aren't great however they are not my main focus for a racing game. The physics work well, you especially have to be careful on a gp bike. However for some reason I seem to have rain almost every session and the ai is at times laughable. (Like in pit lane riders just riding out of garages into you, or on corners they seem to take their line whether you are in it or not.) Also the emails in the motorhome are so generic, if you are expected to come 5th for example you will get the same email for starting in last and getting 1st as you would for starting on pole and getting 5th. The social feed however is much better and will recognise when you have had good duels or technical problems.

Overall 7/10 just needs tweaking and some minor improvements.
on 23 August 2013
I own the first EVER MotoGP game for PS2 and have been a fan of the sport since 2001 and began playing the games around that time to.

Growing up I spent most of my life on MotoGP 3 & 4 then the same when 08 came along. MotoGP 13 is the first one I've owned since 08 and the first one I've owned on a PS3. In that time I was playing SBK X & 11.

This game is brilliant, it's like the SBK games. The bikes handling is close to reality which I enjoy, the one thing I don't enjoy though is, I find the game too easy. I don't want to blow my own trumpet but I thought since I was a lot busier in life now and didn't have a lot of time to play the game as much as past games I wouldn't be as quick but I'm still about 2-3 seconds quicker than the AI Pro with them on realistic.

I know for a lot of people that is a challenge but for the sad case inside myself that spent too much time on these games as a kid it would be nice to have another difficulty that makes the A1 a bit more challenging for the people that are past the Pro stage.

All in all it's a great start for milestone to build upon in the future!