on 7 September 2015
Very funny and ,as I read it first to test suitability for my great niece who was coming to stay,quite informative of how the current "yoof" mindset works ( or doesn't lol)
on 11 September 2013
I am 13 years old and I got this book and I absolutely loved it, it was hilarious and I found it very amusing. It had me LOLing ALL the time!!!
Whens the next one out ????
on 7 October 2014
fab fun and cool this book is a really funny and good bok for girls age 12 -14 some language but not bad. Hattie is a crazy but relatable girls and a good narrator
on 21 August 2013
It's an amazing book!!!!!! A must buy book!!!!!!!!

It's all about the un ordinary life of Hattie Moor and how she gets through another year of school.
on 18 August 2014
Such a fantastic book I just wish Rae Earl/Hattie Moore could talk more about what happened with her lost family member.
Apart from that I loved it!
on 28 May 2013
Bought it for my 13yr old niece who would never pick a book up. And she loved it. Read it cover to cover in 2days and eagerly waiting for the next book.
on 12 April 2013
This is a fun easy to read book for teenage girls. I would say 14 yrs plus.. She does talk about boys, clothes etc, which some teen seem to be like.
14-year-old Hattie Moore's convinced that her life sucks. She has no breasts, no boyfriend and the most popular girl at school (AKA Miss Gorgeous Knickers) hates her. If she could only find out who her real dad is, she's sure that her life would improve. Instead she's stuck with her mum (who works in a café and always smells of grease), her driving instructor step-father, Rob and elder brother, Nathan who's bumming around after dropping out of school. Fortunately her best friends Dimple and Weirdo Jen are there to help and she's also got Goose, the nerdy boy next-door who always offers sensible advice.

Over the course of a year, Hattie's diary will record her attempts to find her dad, grow her breasts, and become a total love goddess.

Rae Earl's YA comedy is a breezy, girl-friendly read with some laugh-out-loud moments. However although Hattie has a strong and effective voice, her selfishness and at times vile behaviour to her friends and family made it ultimately difficult for me to care about her or her aims.

Hattie constantly talks about finding her father, but her search is half-hearted and (as her brother points out) it's not clear why she wants to know who he is or what she wants from it. Similarly, I got tired with her obsession of finding a boyfriend (although there are some hilarious entries where she dates an Austrian boy on holiday in Italy). Much of this is part and parcel of the genre (which, I admit, isn't really my thing) but her confrontations with her mum (where Hattie says and does some awful things) don't ever seem to carry any consequences beyond a weak telling off.

There are some hilarious moments in the book - my favourites involving Hattie's nutty grandmother behaves in an utterly and deliciously age-inappropriate manner - and the writing is slick and efficient. However all the build-up about her dad's identity leads to a rushed and ultimately anti-climactic ending that defers many questions to the sequel, which I found irritating.

Had I liked Hattie, I'd have enjoyed this book more than I did but I found her utterly exasperating and this, coupled with the lack of a proper resolution, meant that while I'll be interested in reading Earl's other work, I'm not interested in the sequel to this book.

Review copy from publisher.
on 21 July 2013
Arrived quickly, good value for money, very easy to read and daughter very happy. Good purchase, thanks, all's well and good.
on 12 November 2013
Bought this book for my 12 year old daughter who loved it. Hadn't read anything by this author before but would do in future.