on 11 December 2014
This, like many photographers, is not my first Tripod purchase. It is in fact my third. Slow learner. If you intend to be a decent photographer, or indeed have become one, then it will not be long before the realisation kicks in...You will and do need a Good Quality Tripod. If your photography entails Travel, or Walking, then the lighter yet more stable one is even more Vital. Well you have now found it.
I am 6ft tall, walk many miles a week, photograph most things that move, and a love of scenery too.
Photographing Birds and Wildlife demands a varied amount of equipment, Mainly long and heavy lenses, powerful flashes etc.So i needed to reduce the overall wieght of my bag as much as possible.
Even with the center column removed and the short adaptor installed, this tripod puts the camera at Eye level, holding my long 400mm lens, Flash unit, triggers etc perfectly stable. Yes i have had to tighten the Leg Locks in the early days... but now the stay completly still.
One of my friends on seeing this tripod on a Kingfisher Shoot ordered the same one on his return home.
excellent quality product from a quality manufacturer. You will soon realise that this expensive piese of kit will last you a lifetime.
on 15 February 2015
I was very disappointed with this tripod. I had hoped it would cope with the a Gimbal head and a 500mm lens. The spec says that it is capable. However, in practice the tripod falls very short of what one would expect from a name such as Giottos. Even with the leg clamps completely tightened with the Allen Key I still had leg slip on one of the legs where the leg height adjuster didn't hold the leg in place. I gave it what I thought was a good chance without taking it out into the field (for fear of damaging in case of return), as it happened after much deliberation I did return it for a refund. I am now trying to decide on a replacement. I already have a Manfrotto which has served me well for 5 years and continues to do so. I will probably pay the extra and go of another.
on 15 June 2014
My wife has bought me this for Xmas, however, it had to be checked first. It looks and feels like a first class piece of kit and will be used with a Nikon D600 and D7000. It was purchased early because it was the last one Amazon had, I had done my research so we thought strike while the iron is hot. I already have a Giotto's tripod and its been a good companion for the last 3 years, therefore based on what I've said, I'll award this purchase four stars for the time being.
on 31 December 2013
It looks well constructed, but mine I received straight out of the box had a small split on one of the foam handles, Also first time i took it out for an outing with my canon 100D which is a very small light DSLR with its 18-55mm STM lens attached fitted to the tripod it would not keep it up level. the legs kept sinking in on themselves. I tried tightening them with the supplied tool but still not satisfactory tight enough.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2013
Nice sturdy tripod, plenty tall enough for me to use without the centre column up and I'm 6ft. 1""
It evokes the feel of a high quality carbon-fibre beach-casting rod, but it's a lot heavier :)
Very stable and the ball head I ordered with it makes the whole setup first class. Plenty light enough to carry but not so light that it feels at all flimsy.
on 22 June 2013
You won't be disappointed, I use it in combination with a Giottos MH1300-621 Series 2 Ball Head With Sliding Quick Release
on 15 September 2014
Very expensive but very very sturdy and excellent build quality.