Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4)
Platform: PlayStation4|Edition: Standard Edition|Change

on 4 May 2015
The pirating gameplay is utterly fantastic, I've yet to finish the game, but the story so far is fantastic too. This is probably the most fun I've had playing Assassin's Creed since the first one. It's more or less your usual gameplay, but you can hop between islands and continents, while attacking and getting attacked by English, Spanish and Pirate ships on the way. You might be thinking "what the hell does pirating have to do with assassins?", more than you'd think, I can assure you.

The only slight let down seems to be bugs, which Assassin's Creed is getting somewhat infamous for now. Stuff like sound effects not always matching up with what is displayed, and random graphical glitches and clipping - it all just briefly brings you out of the experience for a moment. Certainly doesn't ruin it, not by a longshot though.

There are a couple of missions that have a couple of badly designed spots that clearly weren't playtested as well as they could have been. However, this very clear nitpicking ought to be a sign to you that I really am struggling to say anything bad about this game - it really is good and you should get it.
on 17 January 2015
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag takes a portion of Assassin's Creed III that was under-utilized and makes a game out of it; ships.

Unlike the rest of the series which refuses to evolve, Black Flag tried something a bit different and it was a massive breath of fresh air for the series. The story follows a pirate - Edward Kenway - who ends up in the middle of an Assassin-Templar war.

In terms of gameplay you can expect the same as any other AC game. Somewhat buggy parkour, simple melee combat and no real requirement to use stealth for the most part. Where this game really shines is in its ship combat and how, even with the arcade physics, the ship manages to feel exactly like a ship. The weapons you can use are well-implemented and easy to control, but the ship combat has some depth to it thanks to the variety of - useful - weapons and multi-ship combat. If you're feeling really brave, you can take on the legendary ships and prove your salt as a captain.
on 1 November 2017
Have played many hours of GTAV, Uncharted4, Tomb Raider, MGSV Resident Evil, Syndicate etc etc. Hands down this is the most enjoyable game to date. Scenery is amazing, gameplay is fun and fulfilling. MGSV was awesome and better in some respects but the overall enjoyment factor is what puts Black Flag ahead of all others. It is a game afterall.
on 3 January 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed the game on PS3 but it just seems better on PS4. Online events seem much more common and the game also feels easier to play. While it can't really be called a true assassins creed game it is definitely one of my favourite games of all time and seriously fun.
3 people found this helpful
on 5 February 2014
Due to a lack of decent action launch titles, I decided to go with Black Flag as one of my first buys for the PS4 despite already having it (and liking it) on Xbox 360. Unfortunately, having traded-in the latter to help finance this version, I could only fool myself it was actually better for a pretty short period of time. To all intents and purposes Assassin's Creed IV is the exact same game on Playstation 4 as it is on the last generation of consoles, and to spot the graphical improvements would require up-close scrutiny with two TVs next to each other running the different versions. And a magnifying glass.

As a game, though, it has great breadth and depth, and is a real pleasure to explore. That said, there are still bugs and glitches aplenty, so the port from last-gen to current is a rather lazy one. In these early days,though, when good titles are few and far between, Black Flag is, by default, the best action-adventure on PS4.
on 20 March 2017
Got for myself as a BDay present (how sad!) anyway enjoyable gaming!
4 people found this helpful
on 18 November 2017
Absolutely stunning and brilliant game. By far my favourite in the Assassins Creed franchise. Being able to sail on the open seas is freedom like no other in a game before. If you have any interest in pirates then this is the game for you.
on 1 March 2014
I was unsure about buying this game - I didn't think much of Assassin's Creed 3. I'll be honest the only reason I bought it was because I'd run out of things to play on the PS4, and Amazon given me a £10 voucher off due to preordering my PS4 bundle from them...

I'm very glad that I took the plunge though. Firstly as everyone seems so focused on graphics this generation (not whether or not a game is actually good....) they won't disappoint. At times I just had Edward stand there whilst I admired the scenery. I've played the 360 version and the difference is very noticeable. From the vegetation to the sea spray and smoke whilst pirating the seas! Great soundtrack too, I loved the sea shanties!

Aside from the graphics, the game plays very well - had a good solid story and likeable characters. There's lots of side quests and collectables for you to get your teeth into, making it a lot of game for your money - not to mention the whole pirating of the seas action available to you, which you can spend HOURS playing!

I finished the game with 77% sync and will go back at some point to try for 100% I'm sure. I highly enjoyed every minute and am glad to see UBISOFT get it right this time. My favourite Assassin's Creed game so far - very much looking forward to the next instalment now!

As a side note, the game works very well on Remote Play via the Vita.
on 11 May 2014
I write this review after playing a few hours of the game, so I may change my opinion about the game later on.

I enjoyed all versions of AC. First version was boring (repeating the same actions all over again...), but innovative and each following version of AC was better and better. My favourite version is certainly Brotherhood. I couldn't stop myself from playing them and was completely immersed in game play. I cannot say the same about AC4. I will certainly finish it one day, but for two days I didn't bother to start it again yet again. :) Something is missing. Maybe mystery, but also let's not forget about Altair and Ezio - they were so nicely made characters. Edward in AC4 simply is boring.

Game is OK, but not as good as Brotherhood or AC3. It seems like a step back.
on 19 January 2014
This is the first time I have played an Assassin's Creed game, and it is the 5th game I have purchased for my new PS4. I thought i'd just do a list of pro's and cons since this is the most useful type of review.

PROs
------------------------
Open world gameplay is amazing
Graphics are superb, especially at 1080p, and run at a solid 60FPS+
Sense of progression by upgrading the ship, etc.
The campaign is varied and unique, not repetitive like some games *cough* COD Ghosts
There are lots of fun side missions
The naval battles are amazing fun.
Sailing to new places and discovering new areas on your ship is really fun.
PS4 version currently includes 60 minutes extra gameplay.

CONS
----------------------------------
The game is based on a 'futuristic' storyline - you play the role of a researcher in the future who is looking into the pirate's life, this kinda spoils the feel of the game.
When free running you can accidentally climb up obstacles you don't want to climb - which is very frustrating when you are trying to chase a target!

All in all, an excellent game - just ignore the future storyline, the game is better without it.
3 people found this helpful