on 12 July 2014
Another cracking story in this series and I greatly look forward to stories four and five which got released since I bought this one and got round to reading it !! Book two is still my favourite, though.
Marty's story goes from strength to strength and he remains the likeable guy he's always been.
There were a few errors in it-the odd missing word and relived used once when relieved was meant. Then he tells us of people listening in on a conversation who perked up when the words "murder investigation" were mentioned, only they hadn't been !! A couple of times he used Americanisms I had to look up but thankfully nothing was lost in translation. There were some funny lines, especially this one-"You don't have to own a cat to know what cat urine smalls like".....very true !
I liked the people Marty encountered along this latest investigation's journey and the whole story behind this instalment was a fascinating one, too. Keep 'em coming, Mr Iden !
on 20 February 2014
This is the third Marty Singer mystery, and they are all excellent reads. The stories are told by the main character, retired cop Marty Singer, and they are zing along at a good pace, and keep you entertained from start to finish. Look forward to reading no four.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 October 2015
In Book #3, One Right Thing, we find that our sarcastic and stubborn retired homicide detective Marty Singer has taken a road trip, a holiday to recuperate from his recent cancer surgery. On the way back to Washington he drives through a sleepy town, and notices a massive billboard advertising a murder. If this wasn't odd in itself, the victim is someone that he arrested 20 years previously - and for those 20 years his conscience has been bothered, because something just wasn't right about that bust. Time to investigate - but the family doesn't want him there after finding out who he is, and the local police are hostile. Why does no one want him looking into this murder?

I enjoyed this book a great deal because it gives us some depth and insight into Marty's career 20 years ago, and also an ethical and moral look at the strain that those who deal with murder day in, day out are under, and the grey areas of crime and law enforcement. It has a redemption arc for multiple characters; and I felt provided more depth than the previous book, whilst also adding an interesting supporting cast that allowed to the story to take multiple twists and turns.

It was fast paced, with plenty of things that I wasn't expecting and I think is my favourite of the three books in this series I've read so far. I'd still recommend reading it in order just to get the full experience of Marty's journey as a retired detective battling cancer, but still unwilling to give up on crimes that he can help with. Definitely looking forward to the next one.

My thanks to Matthew Iden, Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for providing me with a review copy of this title.
on 13 August 2013
The main character Marty makes these books you are just rooting for him all the way through. Really good read and you can't second guess the ending. Bit like the Jack reacher style. My 2nd Matthew iden and I will be reading more.
on 16 September 2014
I loved the first two Marty Singer mysteries and this one, the third in the series, continues the streak. Part of the appeal is the twist on the genre, since technically Marty is no longer a policeman. He doesn’t have to operate under the same constraints. He doesn’t have the same readily available resources. Yet, in his heart, he’s still a cop and the series still feels like a police procedural.

I also like Marty for the kind of person he is, approaching his vocation turned avocation to protect and serve, wanting to see justice done. In this particular case the main thing motivating Marty is, as the title implies, a desire to do the right thing. Marty has a history with the murder victim and is driven to find his murderer to make up for a feeling that he fell short in his duties to him in the past.

I also like author Iden’s ability to string words together in a way that doesn’t feel like he’s trying too hard, yet sometimes stops me short with their subtle, yet evocative way of describing something. One example is this description of a house.

I stopped in front of a white-sided Queen Anne–style home on the corner of Beal and Market. It was a sprawling pile, with wraparound porch, octagonal tower, and meticulously carved gingerbread under the eaves. The knobs, pilasters, dentils, and other features that I’m sure an architect would have a word for were painted a slate blue with salmon trim, giving the whole thing a slightly silly, fairy-tale cast.

If you’re a fan of police procedurals or mysteries, One Right Thing (really the entire Marty Singer Mystery series) is well worth your time.

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. May have received a free review copy. **
on 4 July 2014
I'm enjoying getting to know Marty Singer, the retired detective story-teller of these novels. He's a likable, believable character. The mystery kept me engaged from start to finish. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series!
on 27 October 2015
I'm really enjoying this series, having read the first two books, I was chomping at the bit to read this one.I like Marty he is the sort of guy I would like to share a beer or 3 with.This book gives us more of an insight into his past career and fills in more background story,I liked the pace of the book, and no spoilers, but another cracking read.Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for a free copy of the book in return for an honest review.
on 11 June 2014
An ex-cop passing a small country town sees a bill board asking for help in finding the killer of an old con he had helped to jail wrongly. He spends a very long time investigating the background to the murder in a rough small country town involving drug production and local corruption. The conclusion is a cliche. Not worth reading to get to the end.
on 17 December 2015
My least favourite of the series so far - just felt a bit "plodding along like" and no real likeable characters (even Marty was getting a bit annoying). Hopefully book 4 improves.
on 26 September 2014
LOved the whole 5 books of "Marty Singer".Unlikely hero but I love him.