• FRY

Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 17 February 2015
Isabel nearly hits Alicia with her car and feeling guilty, helps her get a job in the supermarket
where she works. She also introduces Alicia to her friends, which she later regrets.
Isabel becomes convinced that Alicia is hell-bent on ruining her life and destroying her friendships,
though Isabel cannot understand why. Her friends seem to be siding with Alicia against her.

It took a while for me to realize what relationship Isabel had to Kate, Deacon and his brother until
I realized they were all just friends.

A number of fires break out and Isabel suspects Alicia, but when the Police believe it is Isabel
who is the guilty one, she starts to doubt her own sanity.

Without giving too much away - I thought the jury verdict was rather strange given the apparent
evidence and the last quarter of the book was a little unbelievable, including what had happened to
Fluffy, the lost cat. However, it was an o.k., light-weight read.
on 28 March 2013
A really enjoyable first novel from a promising author, I read this psychological thriller in record time, it was that gripping it kept me guessing right up until the last page. The story of a ruthless arsonist who was befriended by the main character was well constructed and delightfully written, I look forward to reading more offerings from this talented author, well done Ms Dounaeva.
on 21 March 2013
What to say... Well from page 2 I was hooked. After what appears to be an accident, Isabel meets a new friend. Soon some phychological games begin. At times Isabel wonders if she is losing her mind and her friends don't seem to acknowledge there's a problem. After visiting her brother Julio and his girlfriend Holly, Isabel believes she has found an ally. Then the plot gets more complicated. Can someone be in two places at the same time? Or could it be Isabel is simply having a breakdown. This is a fast paced story I found difficult to put down. It has so many twists and turns. I love the way it is written and can highly recommend the book, it really is memorable read.
on 25 June 2013
I was not initially sure where this book was going after the first few chapters. But soon the characters became well embedded into the story line which enthralled and intrigued me. I ended up not being able to put the book down as the events in Isabel's life drag her down to the gutter and beyond. The ending - with no spoilers - is chilling. At the price this book is being sold for on Amazon it is worth buying anyway. However it is a jolly good read and I'm sure you will not be disappointed. I for one will be buying Lorna's next book May Queen Killers due next May... !!
FRY is a very suspenseful psychological thriller. Written in a conversational English dialect, it quickly and easily captures the reader's attention. The protagonist is tormented and driven crazy, or possibly is leading a double life. One secret after another is deftly revealed with her sanity coming more and more in question, to herself and the reader. She is delusional or dissociating, paranoid, or else reailty is unraveling. The reader anticipates the worst and hopes for the best, but mostly just needs to know what happens next.
on 13 March 2013
Once you start reading this book you just have to finish it! The characters draw you in so you have to find out what happens next!

Lorna has written in a way that anyone can read it, Im a more chick flick kind of girl but this kept me just as entertained and made my imagination run wild!

It is really exciting without the blood and gore often added into thrillers and has completely changed my attitude towards reading this genre.

I can't wait for the sequel!
on 22 April 2013
Let me start by saying that I set out to read for an hour or two the other night to wind down before bed, and ended up staying up until 2:30 in the morning finishing this book. Having said that, I felt that the last 80% of the book was far better than the beginning. I didn't find the protagonist, Isabel's initial suspicions of Alicia all that plausible. I'll buy that she felt something was off but she accepts her negative assessment of the girl with very little ambivalence. Most of us, when we distrust someone for no obvious reason, tend to question if we are being too hard on the person.

However, once some tangible things start to happen that justify Isabel's suspicions, the story takes off running from there. There are lots of fascinating twists and turns that eventually bring us to a dark and gruesome secret. I don't want to say any more that might spoil the story. Suffice it to say you will get your money's worth out of this psychological thriller.
on 16 February 2014
FRY by Lorna Dounaeva is a pyrotechnic psychological thriller of the most brilliant kind. The author had me gripped once the story began to move in sinister twists that never let up. Relentless is the word this reader would describe the plot.
Isabel almost runs down Alicia. She feels guilty and sets Alicia up with a job where she works. A friendship starts but soon becomes a game of cat and mouse as fires erupt all over the town of Queensbeach in UK. Subtle hints are played to great effect as Isabel starts to unravel for she becomes the prime suspect.
Isabel must stay one step ahead of the police and stop Alicia before she goes completely mad or ends up in prison.
Read this FIVE STAR thriller to find if she succeeds. Highly recommended.
on 28 March 2013
To the author - congratulations on your debut novel. I was hooked on Fry from the first page! The story had my heart racing and my mind in over-drive as the lives of Isobel, Alicia, Deacon, Rhett, Kate and others unfolded before me. I absolutely recommend Fry and look forward to Lorna Dounaeva's next novel!
on 7 October 2013
Good read, the latter half of the book was very frustrating and a bit weird - sometimes was left saying out loud "why would you do that?! WHO would do that?!" (Actually, said that a good few times whilst reading this) However, was okay for the price and kept you engaged to the end.