TOP 100 REVIEWERon 1 November 2014
This review is for the LG 42LN540V TV, purchased in March 2014. I was not originally intending to buy this TV, but was unimpressed by the Sony KDL42W654 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED Smart TV with Freeview HD Silver (New for 2013) which I had initially ordered. I returned the Sony TV and replaced it with this one, which was a good decision.

Setting the TV up out of the box is pretty straightforward and quick. Attaching the base is a little fiddly and you could almost argue that it doesn't fit properly; at the very least it is poorly designed. The screws you need to insert to attach the base to the TV are parallel to the screen and a little too close to the back of the TV, so you need a very thin screwdriver to be able to keep it somewhere near straight when tightening the screws! The TV is fairly light, somewhere around 10kg I would say. The auto tuning is quick and easy. An annoyance for me is that there is no headphone socket. What you do get is a USB port, HDMI port and PCMCIA card slot on the side of the TV. The connectors and ports you get on the back are: Composite In (CVBS + Audio), Component in (Y,Pb,Pr) + Audio, Digital Audio Out (Coaxial/ Optical), 1 SCART connector, 2 RF In, LAN port and another HDMI port.

The picture is of a very good quality, with plenty of default options should you wish to adjust it. You've got seven picture modes (Vivid, Standard, Cinema, Game, Eco, Expert1, Expert2) as well as the option to manually change the settings and you've got 8 aspect ratios (16:9, Just Scan, Original, Full Wide, 4:3, 14:9, Zoom, Cinema Zoom1). I must admit that I have not attempted to watch Blu-rays or DVDs and I am not a gamer. I also can't comment on the connectivity when using the LAN port or the USB ports. The only things I have connected to the TV are a Sky+ HD box and my laptop via an HDMI cable and I have always been happy with the picture. The sound is in the form of two 10 Watt speakers, which sound as good as any other similar TV I've come across. You can adjust the sound settings and there are a number of default profiles. You could of course buy a sound bar if you want to.

Overall this is a good TV if you're happy to live without smart or 3D features and curved screens. It has a simple design similar to many LG TVs. Every LG product I have bought previously, be it a TV, computer monitor or fridge, has had good longevity and hopefully this one will be the same. So far so good after eight months of use.
on 15 August 2014
Got Xbox from Santa and had to buy a large TV. After some research and good experience in the past with the LG brand, or GoldStar at the time ;) I have stumbled upon this set - 47LN540V
No SMART features and fancy stands, port scarcity and good picture for the money.
If you want to connect it to an external audio system you need optical-in port on it, or buy converter from amazon (B0074JZ8ZW for example, I have it and it is working great).
I have tested the SCART port and no audio is coming out of it, so don`t bother - it`s strictly "in".
All in all two HDMI ports, and the USB port that works like a charm. Playing(usb) video files with x264 or DTS audio will result no audio playback. Video keeps resuming by itself after being paused for more than a minute, a bit irritating..
The Ethernet port is for Firmware updates only(no DLNA capability), although today I have tested it again and it does not seem to work - had to download it manually on a flash drive. Tested its functionality on a windows 7 network, and can`t find a way to stream content to it.
Most important of all, if you browse channels a lot, the remote control is rather quick when used with fresh batteries(recycle the stock ones as soon as you lay your fingers on them).
Have not tested the new firmware, but I really hope they added some sense to the connections. What I mean is, when you have turned off the set after using device on HDMI2 port, and then you connect live device on HDMI1 port and turn the set on, it does not sense it at all and displays the HDMI2 input..even if the device hooked to it, is off.
Picture is okay, the LED is rather uneven and spotty when displaying white, black is weak but okay. Angles are okay, would love it if the display was not so glossy
It`s okay - that is the meaning of three stars.
on 9 May 2014
Brought this LG 47 inch LED 1080p full HD freeview TV for my bedroom. It is a great TV with lots of features and connections, The picture quality is great and the sound is nice and clear meaning I only have the volume on 10. There are two RF in connectors one for standard aerial and the other for satellite, this means you can watch freeview using the standard aerial and the satellite to watch some freesat channels which are available on the tv, there is also an ethernet port allowing you to get some channels which require a broadband connection. Overall this is a great TV and I would recommend it.
on 25 September 2014
I bought this in replacement of an older, smaller LG TV and it is absolutely fantastic. The screen is fantastic and sound quality is very good. You could argue the sound is a little flats, but that's being very picky. The only two issues I found was the lack of a 3.5mm audio output, which made is complex to hook it up to my amp and speakers, and the fact that it only has one USB output. Other than these minor issues, I would definitely recommend this TV to anyone and challenge you to find a better quality 47" for less.
on 31 January 2014
Fantastic clarity,and sound and a joy to watch. The delivery was on time and a very courteous and helpful young man gave me advice and reassurance that I could set it up on my own (I'm 70 years old) and it was really easy and straightforward as he promised.It was so light, I managed to lift and place it on my mantlepeice and was quite smug when my son came down to do it all for me and I sat watching it!
on 7 July 2014
Really pleased with delivery time and driver. Downside for anyone with mobility problems is the driver not allowed to step over the threshold so could be a problem for anyone with mobility difficulties. Picture clarity superb and although we are not affected, a friend who needs to use headphones discovered there is no connection socket
on 10 November 2014
Great tv, superb picture quality, sound isn't great but a great size for the average living room.
on 17 January 2014
Good picture, sound average. Originally bought a samsung with 3d and smart,it broke within a month so bought this for £400 less, as I decided it was a waste of time. Picture was equiv so glad I end ended up with the lg.
on 8 January 2014
TV Works Great. Easy setup, good picture quality. Recommended purchase

Pro: Good Price, good value
Con: One HDMI Port - needs at least 2
on 20 December 2013
Very pleased with purchace so far, can't find anything negative to say.Looks neat and smart and suits our lounge perfectly.