Customer reviews

on 9 May 2014
For some reason I have listened to King King's second album first. I have only recently heard of this band and this was because they are part of the support for John Mayall's 80th anniversary tour later this year. This is a four piece blues outfit who have won a number of awards around the British blues scene. This offering is 51 minutes long and consists of 10 numbers primarily most of which are written by members of the band.

I would suggest that they are a quality blues band in the vein of Anstey Lister but a little more acoustic and not as raw. The album commences with a fast blues number titled 'More than I can take' this is followed by a more relaxed ' Taken what's mine' which features some guitar work of the sort of quality expected of a good blues band. The track 'Jealousy' showcases the vocal talents of Alan Nimmo.

King King are brave enough to cover a classic Free number 'Heavy Load' which they do very well and there is a little bit of Paul Rogers throughout this album. This is good stuff and I will have a listen to their first album TAKE MY HAND in the near future.

I could have done with some more information with this disc but you are directed to the web site. A good album and well worth listening to.
on 4 May 2013
Alan Nimmo has a hard earned reputation as one of the best and hardest working guys on the Blues circuit, courtesy in the main as part of the Nimmo Brothers. Now two albums in, with the release of this absolute gem, King King deserve to be up there in the same category as The Nimmo Brothers.

No second album syndrome here, Standing in the Shadows builds on the solid foundations of debut Take My Hand.Now let's get a bit controversial here and see where we go. Alan Nimmo is one stunning guitarist but what about his vocal, in my view it is getting stronger and stronger and on a couple of tracks in particular there are shades of the one and only Paul Rodgers!! Deep and gravelly yes but incredibly soulful at the same time. Just listen to What Am I Supposed to Do and of course the Rodgers penned Heavy Load. Both quite majestic but not in any shape plagaristic.

Throughout the ten tracks the sound is very contemporary combining true blues with soulful grooves and the running order is terrific giving the album a natural flow and the production is pin sharp. Credit to Alan Nimmo too for not hogging the limelight, such is his confidence in his own ability, he gives his band mates every opportunity to shine and they sure take it up. Brilliant keys and the rhythm section underpin the whole damn lot, working in perfect tandem.

Nimmo is a one hell of a guitarist and he has the innate ability to build songs around his sound and punctuate rather than dominate with his blistering solos, Taken What's Mine and the magnificent A Long History of Love amply demonstrate the fact. In equal measure Nimmo delivers punchy riffs and low down grooves a plenty.

Eight original compositions and two brilliant covers, the aforesaid Heavy Load and even better in my view, the Frankie Miller classic Jealousy. This blues staple literally has never sounded better it is awesome, there's fine melody and it is all topped off with a gut wrenching solo from Mr Nimmo.

There are no fillers here, ten strong tracks clocking in at around 50 minutes and that is 50 minutes of blues rock of the highest order. Oh and by the way, just like The Nimmo Brothers, live King King are brilliant, powerful and hugely entertaining. Until you can catch them live catch this!!
on 7 July 2016
Both the Nimmo Brothers, Alan and Stevie are excellent vocalists and guitar players, born out in their recent C/Ds I purchased this for my love of jealousy and a couple of other tracks. Although generally good I prefer the most recent King King album to this as I feel all round it is a superior offering in playing and song content. However anything done by these brothers is worth listening to within the broad Blues Genre
on 3 December 2013
I first heard/saw these guys the other night at the Shepherd's Bush Empire, where they opened for Joanne Shaw Taylor. I was mightily impressed, and immediately ordered this album on my return home from a memorable evening of live music.

It's everything I hoped for, a deliciously powerful bluesy mix full of great guitar and lots of soul. Alan Nimmo is without doubt a musician of rare talent (what a voice!), and the rest of the band more than ably complement his fabulous guitar playing. It's an amazingly tight and evocative sound that they combine to create, quite haunting at times. The cover of 'Jealousy' is an instant high point, but the self-penned material is of exceptional quality as well.

I love the way the album builds in excitement song by song, at the end of each track I am almost quivering in anticipation of the next.

Jock-rock (I'm allowed to say that, I'm half Scots) at its very finest! Forza Escocia! Pure, refreshing, quality. Why didn't I buy it before?
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 June 2014
I have seen King King live twice - once supporting the very good Joanne Shaw Taylor at the O2 Shepherds Bush and recently as the main act in a small venue in Windlesham where they delivered an outstanding show. Alan Nimmo is a great guitarist and this album is excellent. A mixture of blues, rock and some more mainstream tracks with 'Heavy Load', ' Jealousy' and 'A Long HIstory Of Love' particular favourites. A polished set of songs. I need to get their first venture ('Take My Hand') which contains the Clapton/Cray classic 'Old Love' which they do a killer live version of.

Highly recommended. See them live - they are touring with John Mayall later this year.
on 23 February 2015
WOW WOW....If you enjoy Blues/rock Check out King King their music is immense.

Alan Nimmo's guitar soloing is something to behold, touches you in a way that makes the hair on the back of you neck stand up...the boy can sing bit too backed by three other extraordinary musicians.

Recommend their live performances too (Chester Live Rooms 21 Feb 2015) awesome energy, great lyrics, four truly brilliant musicians who had the place bouncing.
on 21 March 2016
I bought a ticket for a King King gig here in DK, as I thought it might be interesting to hear this ( in DK ) unknown band. So to prepare for the concert I bought this CD - WOW what a great album! As good as any great guitar rock album you might find in the history of great guitar based bands. I simply love it and now I am really looking forward to experiencing them live. My expectations have risen from nothing to the extreme top.
Highly recommended.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 July 2013
I had never heard of King King before I purchased this cd. I love Joe Bonnamassa and King King was recommended as a similar sound, so I read the reviews for this album and ordered it. Wow!! What a fantastic album. On most cds there is at least one track that falls short and you skip to the next one. None of that here! Every track is superb, but if I had to pick any out as extra special it would be 'A Long History of Love', 'Jealousy','What Am I Supposed to Do', and 'Coming Home'. I have also ordered their previous cd, 'Take My Hand' which I am eagerly waiting to be delivered.
on 31 March 2015
Saw these guys supporting the John Mayall 80th birthday tour and they are brilliant. Never heard of them before that - must be one of the better closely guarded secrets in the music world. They've just done a national tour which, although I had tickets was ill and couldn't go to, and was really gutted. They are fab. If you get the chance go see them.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 September 2015
We saw King King live, supporting John Mayall. They were that good that there was a visible and audible sigh when their set finished. Superb blues rock, beautiful guitar work, polished performance - the next big thing in blues/rock? Strong maybe.