Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.64

on 2 January 1999
I am most impressed with how Rogers speaks to me through his words. This is not a dry, rational, theoretical book - this book truly is a personal dialogue with the reader, allowing us to gain insight into the thinking and wisdom of one great visionary. How grateful we can be, that we no longer are treated as objects, numbers, problems to be labeled and fixed, when we see a therapist. What a huge shift Rogers has brought about in how to treat another person, not only in therapy, but in daily life! This is an extremely insightful book, not only for all counsellors, but for anyone who prides him/herself as being a good friend and listener. Read this, and you will be swept away.
22 comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 10 September 2006
This was the first book by Rogers that I read. I read it earlier this year, whilst doing my Certificate course in counselling. As someone who was just beginning her long journey into the counselling world, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it - it helped to redefine to me the reasons why I was drawn to the profession in the first place. I think what I'm trying to say here is that I found this book at the right time in my life.

As I was reading, I was not just appraising it from the hopeful counsllor in me, but at the time I was experiencing a painful relationship. In this relationship, I felt as though I was never properly listened to - if ever I expressed feeling hurt to my partner, my emotions were used by him as a way of attacking me, thus making me feel even more unloved and unappreciated, but bound to stay so as not to be alone. Reading this book, I began to see how abusive this relationship actually was.

I actually think I appreciated this book more on my personal level than on the academic level which brought me to it originally.

This book does not really offer advice for new counsellors on how to work with their clients. The only advice it gives about that is that the therapeutic relationship should involve empathy, congruence and unconditional positive regard - if these core conditions are present, then the person seeking help is being offered the best environment for change to occur. However, although this work does not necessarily offer a counselling model to work by, what Rogers does illustrate is that people need to be 'allowed' to have feelings in order for them to properly function. If someone feels as though they need to hide or suppress their emotions, so as not to anger or hurt someone else, they are not allowing themselves to be the person they truly are. While clients seeking counselling most likely will have experienced something like this, all counsellors are only human too - before looking at their clients and asking how they cn help them, perhaps counsellors should read this and then ask themselves how they may help themselves!

I salute Rogers for writing so honestly, not just about his experiences as a therapist, but as a person too. This book has shown that we would all do well to try and bring his core conditions into our lives as a whole, not just to the counselling room.
on 4 September 1999
Carl Rogers shows person centredness as a way of being, not as a counselling technique, he explains it in terms of his own experiences, leaving the reader to find his own way.
on 25 February 2009
This book truly is one that makes you think not only of your work load (support services) but of your own life - it teaches you so many things about yourself - a must read - a great man was Rodgers with such a great approach in life...
on 30 January 2016
What an amazing man Carl Rogers was! The clarity and honesty of his writing is unsurpassed. His total respect and ability to listen to others and be fully present is so unusual. This book is his own life review as he looks back from his seventies and is pleasantly surprised by his achievements and how his work, from small beginnings, has been taken forward by others and has grown and changed with time. However, his core belief in the actualising potential of human beings remains steadfast. Carl Rogers also looks forwards. He speaks of the importance and pleasure of working with younger colleagues, whose ideas may challenge and surpass his own. He speaks about the realities of growing older and how important it is to take responsibility for our selves and not try to please others. He also turns upside down some preconceptions of aging by mentioning that he has written and published more between 65 and 75 than during the rest of his life. This is a moving distillation of Roger's wisdom gleaned over a lifetime.
on 26 July 2009
The humanistic approach to psychology is far more expansive than the purely 'scientific' approach in that it is the whole person that is treated not just the immediate problem.
on 19 March 2013
Recommended reading for level 2 and level 3 Christian Counselling Courses.

Brilliant, although some terminology was difficult to sort out (American and scientific neologisms) but excellent.
on 31 August 2013
Was recommended this by one of my teachers to read and explore whilst undertaking a counselling course. It is not for the amature and really good reading for the serious counsellor/traininee counsellor
on 18 March 2016
A fine piece of writing by CR. In it he simply and powerfully communicates himself to the reader. A way of being, his way of being, laid out clearly and broadly. From that we are free to accept and take or leave what we want. I wish I had found him and his work when I was an adolescent. I've always found the person centred idea of how to usefully approach and if relevant support another person, a good compass to live by; this very accessible, little book, with its very digestible and coherent sections, places that rather proven idea in the context of pretty much all of life's aspects. At times his example, or exemplifying of this his way of being, is rather over-whelming: even then one's self-defensive reaction remains helpful; reflexively illuminating what might play out for another when they are approached in a person-centred manner.
on 16 February 1999
This is a wonderfully written book. The words flow easily and the ideas are conveyed in a simple yet stimulating way.