on 6 September 2015
A deeply inspiring conversation between two radical thinkers who walk their talk; Rev Mathew Fox, - alternately been described as “The most important living Theologian” (Bishop Mark Andrews), and a "Heretical and dangerous thinker" (Cardinal Ratzinger, later Pope Benedict) - and activist and spiritual director Adam Bucko, who works with homeless young people in New York.
It’s a book full of hope and challenge. Nowhere more than when they are discussing the issue of life purpose.
They advocate courage and wildness, the need to live life without the safely of “An insurance policy.” As Rev Fox puts it “It is scary in the sense that awe is scary – it’s exciting, it keep you on edge, it keeps you alert and alive. It invites you to adventure. Isn’t every vocation an adventure? And that’s the warrior thing.”
Both men are extremely honest, authentic and generous in the accessible way they share their wisdom. Wisdom is not a word I use lightly – but in this case it’s really appropriate. Rev Fox is the foremost authority on Thomas Aquinas and Hildegard von Bingen, Thomas Merton shaped his life when he proposed to Fox as a young man that he go to Paris to study under Pere Chenu, a Dominican who is often regarded as father of Liberation Theology. Adam Bucko draws on his experience of Buddhism and Sufi practices, his experience of psychology and integration of body work. Bucko also draws to great effect on his experience working with homeless and marginalised youth in New York – indeed among the most moving and inspiring parts of the book are the extensive quote from these young people.
This is a book that really challenged me about how I live my life, a book that’s a call to action, and that will resonate with me I believe for a long time to come. After all as they remind us “We are the weavers of the fabric of modern society. We can weave love, truthfulness and peace or we can weave hatred and mistrust and war. We will have to wear whatever fabric we weave” (Vilamla Thakar quoted in afterward).
on 10 January 2016
A very significant read. Highly recommended.
on 15 March 2014
if you are aware of this scene and spirituality you are going to be very familiar with the discussion, I did not make it to the end because it simply was not engaging, however I do like the idea of trying to unpick a spirituality and motivation set from the occupy movement