• Meir

Meir
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 19 July 2013
I loved Kvelertak's first album, mainly for the way they seemed to have an endless supply of immense riffs. A song would start off with a great riff and be going along nicely, then somewhere in the second half they'd explode into something else that was even better. I'm thinking about, for example, the transformations that happen in Ulvetid at 1min51, Fossegrim at 2min21, and the entire second half of Utrydd de svake.

Unfortunately there's not much of that in Meir. Don't get me wrong, it's a good album anyway (hence the 4 stars), but it just isn't as exciting. I also agree with a comment made in the review on Pitchfork: there are some missed opportunities, particularly Tordenbrak. It has a really great riff that feels like it needs to build and build until it ruptures into some kind of face-melting explosion that makes you want to rip off your pants and run around screaming, but that never happens. They play around with it for 9 minutes, but it never really changes, so what could've been an immense song is 'just' a very good one. It's kind of frustrating.

Anyway, it's still a good album, definitely worth the purchase, but I get the feeling that Kvelertak could deliver something unbelievable if they managed to hook everything up properly. Here's looking forward to the third album.
on 14 January 2018
This is a great album and strong from the beginning to the end. I think it's better than there other two releases overall.
on 28 March 2013
I had no problems relating to this odd issue of the wrong music... it's recognisable as Kvelertak alright!
There have been complaints that it isn't quite as immediate as their debut but I think that's understandable; no record in recent memory has blown me away and exhilarated me from first listen quite like "Kvelertak".
But it only takes a couple of spins to appreciate that all the elements are here and it gradually reveals itself to be every bit as brilliant as the debut. Great production again from Kurt Ballou. Favourites so far are "Trepan", the class rock infused "Evig Vandrar" and the ridiculously catchy eponymous closer.
They've still got me in a chokehold, no maybes about that.
44 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 November 2017
I have been listening to rock music for over 40 years and I reckon with this album you've got most of it rolled into one so many sounds of bands over the ages I first heard this band when I bought their latest album at a bargain price and I like it when it was suggested that this one was better I got it good move I don't know what the singer is on about but so what it fits perfectly if you like rock,punk,metal, and great riffs buy this its better than head and shoulders for getting rid of dandruff ,modern sound for an old rocker .great stuff
on 22 December 2014
Had a massive sticker on the front to protect people from the hideous sight that is hand drawn female breasts, and a sticker on the back that refused to come off without smearing slimy glue everywhere
on 12 October 2014
Amazing band, first Kvelertak CD I've ever bought and glad I did! SO much better then any chart rubbish these days. They've put a lot of work in to this to make it sound so good.
on 4 August 2016
Great guitar. No idea about the lyrics. Lots of passion.
on 18 January 2014
I think many reviewers have picked up on this - Meir is a perfectly good album, with aggressive playing, great riffs and even the odd good tune. There's only one problem - Kvelertak's first album is better in every way. Meir lacks the precision of playing, the wild inventiveness and the sheer energy of the debut. Even the production of Meir sounds flat and two-dimensional when compared with the first album. Kvelertak have set the bar so high that it would be a miracle if they could ever top that debut - which in my opinion is the best hard rock album I've heard in the last 10 years. If you're new to Kvelertak, buy Meir first - you will love it. Then buy the debut and prepare to have your socks knocked off.
on 14 May 2013
if anyone's bothered i did a proper review of this on my music blog :
[...]
but anyway, kvelertak are amazing, this album is slightly darker and more... interesting? than their self titled one, it's less punchy, but still absolutely raging. buy it.
on 20 May 2013
Maybe I need to give it a few more listens, but so far hasn't got the "wow!" factor for me that the first album had. That's not to say it's bad in any way, as it's still a cracking record that any band would be proud to have made.