on 1 June 2015
Seems expensive but I would not want to be without it. Used to use a car Tom Tom on bike until it came off at forty miles an hour, surprisingly it survived for a further nine months.
Use with Scala G9 and works great also linked to phone.
The holder and charger are a boon and are robust so despite cost of accessories I am going to obtain a second unit for my other bike, although the battery life is much improved over older units.
The unit seems very sturdy and screen works well with gloves.
The option for winding roads is a revaluation although you need to calibrate with care otherwise you can spend hours covering very little distance. Also if other members of group have TomToms they can easily show different routes if not calibrated with same degree of winding roads.
The Unit comes with excelent software for route planning and is very user friendly. The free lifetime updates is a welcome addition and helps justify the price.
Used it for a thousand miles road trip did not get lost once and found some fantastic roads we would have missed without the Rider.
on 5 October 2013
For years I have ridden with mates who use Garmin Sat Navs and have been frustrated at the amount of time we have been lost and they have sat by the side of the road trying to re-programme the damned electronics. On the contrary, I used a good old fashioned map and always got us to the destination with a little bit of forward planning. But then I saw the TomTom Rider and decided to put aside my principles and take the plunge - I had just been nominated lead navigator for a group ride (serves me right I guess).

What a brilliant piece of kit.

I've just come back from 9 days travelling round the Ardennes, Black Forest and the Alps. Routes were planned in advance on Tyre and loaded onto the unit and the thing just worked brilliantly. Sure you learn a few bits along the way like where to put your waypoints but the TomTom is so intuitive that it is dead easy. I've linked mine to a Sena headset and the voice instructions are excellent. I've also linked my phone to it and the ability to have calls come in on the sat nav so you can see who is calling and decide whether to answer is a real bonus.

Others have said how good the windy route feature is and I can only agree. One of the best rides we had was when we changed plans and left it up the TomTom to find us a 60 mile route.

Will I ditch the maps - absolutely not. Any sat nav is an aid to navigation only and should be treated that way. You still need to have an idea of where you're going. But this bit of kit makes it a whole load easier.

Now need to start planning the routes for next year's trips. The TomTom will definitely be part of it.
on 20 September 2013
After reviewing TomTom & Garmin Bike GPS comments, decided to go for TomTom Rider V5. Glad I did as the unit does exactly what the product info says !!

Opened the box and connected the GPS via bluetooth to my SenaSMH 5FM without a problem and used the RAM mount provided to put it on my Suzuki GSX 1250 FA ST - again no problem. Took no longer than 15 minutes to be up and running.

Initially tried the GPS locally on Bluetooth with my iPhone 5 also connected via Bluetooth and all works well and together with no connection or interference problems. Volume and clarity is brilliant at a mix of speeds (town and 70 mph dual carriageway).

Clear turn by turn instructions from GPS and no mis-fed details by SatNav in the city area being used. Very good on dual carriageway with good warning of approaching exits to use - no last second decisions !!

All in all well chuffed with the purchase and looking forward to going to Southern Ireland next week end and really testing the unit -- not anticipating any glitches.

A lot of reviews mention no "live traffic" updates - because we are bikers this shouldn't be a problem as we are seldom held up and can use local detours for a closed road without the same issues as car drivers.
on 17 February 2014
Chunky and solid feel and intuitive to use. I chose this over the Garmin after much consideration. From what I've heard and read there isn't much to choose between them but the deciding factor for me is the Tom Tom uses Google maps for route planning. This is very easy to use and routes can be practised / planned and stored on your computer in advance of even buying the Tom Tom. Just plan the route, copy the link on the google map and paste it into the 'Tyre' application that Tom Tom uses. The route can then be sent to your Tom Tom with one click.
To pre-plan routes for the Garmin, 'Basecamp' software is used instead of Google map which I find slightly clunkier and less intuitive. Also, unlike Google map, Basecamp does not have pre-loaded maps so you have to buy the Garmin first before you can practise route planning.
It was a tough choice and any variation on price could well have an effect on which one to choose. But like I say, route planning is what I'll be using it for ( rather than just typing in a destination and letting the machine tell you what route to take) and Google maps took the biscuit.
on 19 July 2014
Easy to use but then we're used to Tomtom! Needed to buy a mount seperately as no handlebar space on our Yamaha FJR1300 but that was simple enough. Husband is very happy with his new toy, especially the windy routes function and it's a darned sight more effective than relying solely on a map in the tank bag, will take a map too though, just in case :-)
on 11 September 2014
Nice piece of kit and a real step up from my previous Rider 2nd addition in both ease of use, readability and the planning facilities. First one nearly survived 18 days and 3K miles in Central Europe in the worst rain I've ever ridden through! Nearly, because it proved not to be wholly waterproof and misted up after it's soaking. Amazon were quick and efficient in replacing immediately however..still a happy bunny overall.
on 15 October 2013
Had been using a Navman S70 but treated myself to the Tomtom Rider as the Navman wouldn't charge on my bike. One advantage of this over using a car one is the little hood and special screen which allows it to be viewed in bright sunlight. TyretoTravel is a great piece of software which lets you plot a route then load it into the Rider and away you go! Having changed from a sportsbike onto an adventure bike going further but slower is what appeals to me these days so being able to use the twisty route setting will get me out into the scenery where I like to be now. The lifetime free map updates really appealed as I can't buy any for my 2009 Navman anymore and I don't want to be getting lost in the backwoods in 10 years time.

So it does what you would expect, it does it well, and the twisty routes option is great for getting you off the A roads out into the scenery where the fun lives. Highly recommended
on 1 November 2014
This is my 3rd Rider over the last 10 years..version 2 lasted 3 years of every day commuting in and out of London from Essex and a few trips to Ireland and Scotland. I Always buy Tomtom Rider due to ease of use and durability and idiot proof. This v5 has a bigger screen so it will interesting to see how it performs on the bike and it bracket.
on 26 May 2014
easy to use, good clear screen, winding road option is marvellous. I use a Scala G9 for talking to pillion and other riders. The only downside is that I cannot connect to other riders and hear the Bluetooth of the GPS. it is either my phone (HTC) and conversation with other riders or just the GPS alone and switch on rider conversation manually and switch off again to hear GPS instructions. I can see the route on the GPS screen but it would be better if it would connect to all!
on 14 September 2014
Just updated from v2 ,good update,screen works better with gloves summer and winter! Really like the addition of tyre ,great to use ,probably update to tyre premium , joined their social site .where you can download foreign rides to you're tom tom .just used winding road this morning .never new Kent had so many good back roads .