Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.69

on 19 August 2013
Well, I'm of a different generation and new to Gerry Mulligan. Of course, I know the name and the reputation. I bought this collection and the earlier 1956-9 set, which was 18 albums for £8, as a sampler introduction. The price was ridiculously low and I still can't believe that I now have all these riches on the Cloud. The two albums with Ben Webster and Johnny Hodges on this set would have been worth ten times the price of admission alone. More experienced Mulligan hands can comment about the sound quality, but it sounds beautiful to me. No scratches or blips, and nice separation of sound. Sounds as though it has been taken from the master tapes, but I'm no expert. The music is extraordinary and wonderful. Refined and beautiful. A real mood changer. Although there is over ten hours of music on the two sets, I've been giving them both a lot of listening time. My musical tastes are pretty broad -- from classical to Dylan and Neil Young via the Blues and folk -- but I recognize quality in any genre, and these two Mulligan sets establish exactly that from the opening tracks. I fully expect this will lead me to explore more of Mulligan and his contemporaries. Cannot recommend this and the companion set highly enough. Particularly to non-jazz fans of this period, you have to give these sets of 18 vintage champagne albums your attention at a price you would normally pay for a single offering of today's vin ordinaire.
on 26 August 2013
As a life long fan of the baritone sax in general, and Gerry Mulligan specifically. All the tracks are the definitive Mulligan, his was a unique sound due to the combination of instruments drums, bass, trumpet and baritone, but no piano. Super cool is the only term to sum it up thn, and this still applies today.
Gerry when he played Liverpool many years visited a shoe shop in Bold Street a pal of mine sold him a pair of slip on loafers. I met him albeit briefly when he was here and not only was a true jazz musician/genius he was a gentleman with a real sense of humour. I have listened to these tracks for decades and now have 'em in an ipod. Marvellous. Yet again Doctor Jazz.
on 3 February 2014
Unbeatable value for money, incredible number of albums, sound quality is good. If you've never heard Mulligan before you' re a treat, if you have, you'll know what I mean. Cool jazz in this instance equates to listenable melodic style appreciated by non jazz afficionados, that's Mulligan
on 16 September 2013
If you like your jazz melodic you'll love this. Not a track I didn't like. On in the car all the time.
on 3 November 2014