on 7 March 2017
Excellently written. While the technology is a little dated, Beam Piper's handing of space opera, people and events is superb. It's easy to see how he was the forerunner of, and must have inspired, many of today's great writers.
on 29 March 2017
bumper collection some really good classics
on 1 June 2013
I've read most of the stories in this collection (I mean, I'd already read them before I bought it), and this will allow me to dispose of a small pile of paperbacks. As far as I can see from a random sampling, the transfer to electronic form has been very well done.
If you're a fan of Piper's fiction, this is a no-brainer: if you don't know his work, it's not a bad place to start, though I don't really recommend starting at the beginning: I'd start with 'Naudsonce' or 'Omnilingual' (although the idea of that doesn't work), and then perhaps move on to 'Little Fuzzy' (which I think was the first of Piper's stories that I read).
on 28 May 2013
I won't review the stories, I'll just say that this is classic sci-fi and great value for money. Loved it.
on 11 September 2013
A megapack worthy of the name. In fact it's more like "The complete works". This is a great journey through the works of one of sci-fi's great. Reading the books and stories in the order they were written gives a great perspective on the development an evolution of Piper's ideas and ability as a writer throughout his life. If you love the genre then this needs to be in your collection.
on 25 October 2013
I first came across H Beam Piper years ago when i read the story "He walked around the horses" which I found a real good alternative history yarn. Most of the stuff in this volume is good old blood and thunder stuff. I really bought it for "Little Fuzzy" as I already have "Fuzzy Sapiens". Both good stories as well.
on 28 November 2013
This has so many of his works. Not just his short stories but whole books. It's also in chronological order which is great if you like early 50's si fi.

If you don't already know of H Beam Piper I would really recommend this to get started. His work is also in the open domain so audio is available from librivox.
on 24 April 2014
I read Little Fuzzy decades ago and loved it. It's message that creatures should be respected is something we hear more and more today. Well worth a read and I'm looking forward to reading the other stories.
on 8 April 2013
The bad things about this book are:

1. The story (novella, really) Little Fuzzy is a repeat from one of the SF Megapacks.
2. There are a few serious formatting errors, in one case involving the repetition of a big chunk of a novella.
3. 10% of the book is non-SF. I am still going to read that, to see how the author's style works, but it isn't part of the genre. Though to be fair, this is a megapack of the author rather than SF specifically.

That said, you really can't go wrong for 59 pence. It's a huge long book with a great number of stories which explore the various future history concepts of the author. I just wish the stories dealing with the Terran Federation and Space Vikings had been presented in logical date order.

Will you like it?

Written between the late 40s and early 60s, it is quite old fashioned in terms of the technology. Computers barely get a look in. That is of its era.

The social attitudes are moderately advanced for the time. "Girls" actually can do stuff in some of the stories, they aren't just for decoration. The general feeling is communitarian libertarian republican. Lots of guns and self-made men, who extol hard work and education and still care about their community.

The stories whip along at a good pace and will not fail to excite and carry your interest.
on 13 August 2013
I bought this mainly for Space Vikings- a much loved space opera which I had in the 1970's UK paperback edition which sadly fell apart a few years back.It was nice to be reunited with an old friend! The other content? Doesn't really compare in my opinion, but worth a read to get a feel for Piper's style.