on 24 July 2016
This is a review of the 25th anniversary remastered vinyl edition, not of the music itself (which I love).

This is an album that I grew up listening to: it was one of my dad's favourites and I've since bought it on CD and still listen to it frequently. Perhaps the weight of expectation was too much but I couldn't have imagined being so let down by the first listen. This is the first time in 25 years that I haven't enjoyed this music. The main issue is the continual audio clipping, most notable on Michael Stipe's vocals but also present elsewhere. This record sounds very "hot": much louder at the same amp settings than my other records.

Hopefully I can get hold of an original master in decent condition, then I'll be able to listen all the way though.
One person found this helpful
on 10 June 2013
Others have stated they do not like the packaging of these re-issues I for one love them , ok the cd sleeve is a bit of a pain but the boxes look great lined up together on the shelf
The remastered version ( of prob) my favourite REM album sounds great , a few distinct differences but like all music it depends on what system you play it on ..If you're going to invest in great quality formats then you should invest in a good system if not just download the compressed lossy MP3 version.
The other main reason to purchase this is the live cd, excellent quality and great to hear tracks that would later be included on out of time ( the first time hearing some of them live)
If you're a fan get it, its very well priced and again looks and sounds great
5 people found this helpful
on 24 February 2014
The album is fantastic, and was delivered as described; unfortunately; there were some issues with the vinyl itself, which has some scratching on it; which was nothing to do with the vendor as the album was delivered in sealed, brand-new condition.

I asked if the vendor had another copy, but as he had none; the vendor immediately offered a full cash refund including return postage and had absolutely no quibbles on this issue. So I cannot speak highly enough of his excellent service to me as a customer.

Regards
Paul
on 14 November 2014
The first REM effort under the auspices of Warner Brothers, Green is influenced by their earlier IRS albums yet the seeds of the multi-platinum sellers Out of time and Automatic for the people are also here. Highlights are the singles Pop song 89 and Stand and the classic Orange crush. If you only have the former two consider this as it is much closer to Out of time than Monster which later alienated many followers they picked up during the Out of time and Automatic period.
on 18 March 2018
Super
on 25 May 2018
Great album
on 23 October 2015
I still think that, contrary to public and critical opinion, this is REM's masterwork.
Solid gold from start to finish, no filler.
on 14 January 2017
friend loved it as a christmas present
on 8 November 2015
Fulfils the function, as advertised. Good price. Excellent delivery service, again.
on 24 July 2016
Good condition, not a bad album