on 2 October 2017
Ok
on 26 February 2011
I am about 60 pages into 'Perfect Exposure', and finding it technical, but extremely well written. Because of Michael Freeman's reputation, I had also ordered another three books, one of them a pre-order (the book I'm writing the review about now). That book arrived this morning, and imagine my surprise when I opened it and found it to be a smaller version, albeit with a different title, of 'Perfect Exposure'. Now I have to say, what I expected was something I could take out into the field, and I imagined that it would contain technical data for various scenarios that might save me time. However, strangely enough, although I should probably feel cheated, I am quite happy, as this is certainly an excellent enough book to want to pack into one's camera bag; not that I would want to lug the larger version around. So, on balance, I'm happy, but I did want to warn other punters out there that 'The Photographer's Exposure Field Guide' is exactly the same text as 'Perfect Exposure'. The only difference is that it is a smaller binding, and contains convenient tab referencing. It's actually a beautiful production, in terms of format, binding and obviously content, which is why I'm awarding it maximum marks.
on 28 May 2013
Michael Freeman's published photography works are world reknowned and reproduced in varying formats for the simple reason that his skill in photography is matched by his ability to write and teach. This book is a perfect example of that, so I'll focus a little more on the presentation of it.

Choosing a publication and format can be a bit of a mine field since the industry standards in this area are flexible to say the least. Take Field Guides for example. By definition they contain information presented in a compact format, primarily for reference purposes, but I had one for a camera that was a struggle to fit into a backpack! Yet Ilex (and others) tend to come in for critcism because their range tend to be more pocket sized.
Ilex take publications and condense them into a compact size and the seller makes reference to this, though it would be easy to miss the fact that it's not the first publication of the material.

However, book dimensions are clearly stated and a preview option is included. My eyesight is good and I don't (currently) require optical aids and I had no issues with the font size. It is small, but I didn't find it uncomfortably so and would suggest that checking the dimensions and printing the preview would be a good step if you have any concerns before purchasing.

The content provides exactly what the title suggests. There are sections on fundamentals you can read through and plenty of situational sections that you can revise on before you plan a shoot and refer to while you're out there.

Freeman has a full range of photography books and I'd suggest that reviewing the range (and others) and thinking carefully about the content and whether they will help you work through them in a logical order. For example, this is a guide to exposure for photographers, so it won't give a beginners' guide to every technical aspect it refers to. (You'd never fit it in your bag if it did)!
If you are a beginner, you might find it useful to start with introductory guides (both for your camera and photography). That said, you would certainly benefit from this guide and as with any book, if you encounter something you don't understand, doing a little reference work will aid your development (e.g. understanding histograms).

I've considered previous reviews and comments (and respect them) and have tried to provide a well balanced review based on this and the information provided by the seller, publisher and author. To that end, I've awarded it 5 stars.
on 19 September 2012
The book is a little odd. I understood it, but didn't appreciate it at first. It was only after shooting more that my appreciation of its message grew. As such it is a book that tries to teach something that can only really be learnt through practice. Now with the benefit of hindsight, the book makes a good source for reference and reminder of how to deal with a wide variety of lighting conditions.
on 24 June 2011
Reall enjoying this book. Very interesting mini primers on various aspects which really build some understanding about what exposure really means in terms of the constant tradeoffs you need to make. I'm not sure much will translate to my hurriedly snapped pics of the kids in the garden but at the least it'll make me consider time of day and cloud cover more carefully!

The book is small - maybe half a normal book, itll fit in a camera bag but if you need to carry this with you on shoots you have more time than me in your life! Anyway, the size does make it a bit tricky to see finer points in the examples.
on 6 December 2011
This is a very well written book. Serious amateurs and I think professional ones too will find this book very useful. However, because the intention was to keep the book small enough to put it in the pocket, the fonts are too small for easy reading. The photographs presented could also be bigger.
on 20 May 2014
I ordered this thinking it would be a good source for learning about exposure. Instead I found it disappointing. First, the size (6" x 4.5") is too small for comfortable reading. I suppose it was intended to be something to fit into a camera bag, but it has too much information to work as a "field guide". The information is difficult to use, however. It's 191 pages so fairly dense and it's difficult to search. It should have been EITHER a field guide (quick and simple to use) that you can use to quickly look up information, or a large size book that you can read, mark, and learn from. Unfortunately, it's neither. The author "knows his stuff" and the information is probably accurate, but it's the design of the book that really lets it down.
on 17 May 2011
Good book but suggest not for the normal amateur need to be an enthusiast and really need to have a good understanding of photography
on 27 March 2015
This product although it states a guide book fails to mention that you need a magnifying glass to read anything as the print is so flipping small. it is practically useless, I am extremely disappointed in having wasted money on this item. sure it fits in your pocket but it is in no way better than a pathetic manual that you get from manufacturers
on 16 May 2013
If you don't wear glasses before you purchase-you'l probably need them after! It may be described as a field guide (15.4cm x 11.8cm) however, the text is minuscule (avg. 1mm x 1.4mm)& due to background colour choice on alternate pages 'painful to read' Pity, as he's a brilliant photographer with uber experience, but the book is difficult to use