on 6 July 2015
I borrowed one of there from a friend to see if wireless would reach to all parts of my bungalow (rather long and thin), as this has caused problems for other routers in the past. So far this router has been excellent, hence now ordering one from Amazon.

The bad news is: If I order a new item from Amazon, I expect a new item - not one that has been returned. Finding someone's ADSL and wireless configuration on the device is a dead giveaway that this is a previously returned item. To be fair to Amazon, I raised with them and it was immediately sorted and the replacement should arrive today - But it shouldn't have happened in the first place.
on 25 February 2016
Does exactly what it says on the tin! This was very easy to set up and although I didn't think having 2 channels would be any use in fact its very useful. I have one channel for lower demand items like my tablets and phones and the other channel for my smart tv. This has definitely improved the performance of the 'Smart' features with no buffering or signal loss at all. Even with 3 or 4 devices and the tv all using wifi at the same time it still copes perfectly OK. So far so good.
It's range is very good too, in fact so good when I drive home with my phone in the car, the phone is connected to wifi before I can even see the house!
on 2 May 2014
This is a review for the TP-Link TD-W8980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL 2.

Bandwidth control

The main reason I bought this router was because of the bandwidth controls that come with the router. I have Issues with my brother and other siblings hogging all the bandwidth with constant downloading and video streaming, and I had problems with gaming lag and disconnections since I play MMO games that use very little bandwidth - so I thought I would give a new router a go since QoS(Quality of service) settings on my old netgear dual band router was pretty inadequate.
First I had a look for free firmware alternatives (tomato, DD-WRT) that add bandwidth control to cheaper routers, it turns out very few routers support this firmware, and ADSL(for people with BT lines) is only supported with maybe 1 or 2 routers that are hugely expensive anyway.

This router has great bandwidth control. If you add their IP information into the router, or yours, it will allow you to set a certain amount per pc. I have a 3 mb/s connection so I reserve about 300kb/s of the download bandwidth, and 50 kb's upload for myself, and put a limit of 1500 kb/s download on my brothers PC. now he can download comfortably but not hog the bandwidth, and I can play without having to resort to banging on his door begging for him to stop or blocking his connection.
The router also gives you the option to bind an IP address to a devices MAC address, so you can set up bandwidth control without having to bother setting up static IP addresses(which is fairly simple, easy to find out with a google search). this also works with devices like ipads and phones, where you can find out the MAC address through the settings normally. With this I was able to give my mum a good chunk of the bandwidth too so she can watch youtube videos on her ipad without having to moan about people downloading.
The controls also give you an option to prioritize certain traffic - like a PC streaming from NETFLIX, you can set it to 1 in order to give it a higher priority, I'm not sure how much of a difference this makes though.

Before I was using a netgear dual band 300mb/s router with 5 internal antennas, which gave a nice 4-5bars connection most days. I use a netgear adapter which tells me the mb/s connection of the wireless. with netgear I was getting about 50-100mb/s connection. With This router I now get 243 mb/s, which is a significant improvement. My family members tell me that they also get better signal now than before, going from 2-3 bars to 4-5. I think the difference is mainly because the external antenna are much stronger than the internal ones of the netgear router, and I think that both 2.4ghz and 5ghz travel at 300mb/s makes a difference too.
Since I do online gaming this was pretty important and why I opted for an extra £30 for dual band and I was not disappointed.

Not the prettiest router in the shop but I don't really care too much as long as it works. I don't think it looks bad either, it has a nice sleek shiny look and the interface on the front is not too difficult to understand. My mum commented that it looks like an alien, but its an alien that gives a nice signal, so like I said i don't mind.

Additional comments
The only gripe I have with this router is that the cables provided are very short. but this is an issue that you can remedy easily by buying longer ones at not a great deal of expense if required.

Gone are all the lag issues. prob THE BEST £70 I ever spent. Have had it for about a month now we no issues at all. If you have a BT line and want bandwidth controls this is the router for you.
on 12 May 2016
For clarity and for anyone else in the same boat this will NOT work with BT Infinity as a one box replacement for the home hub 5. Some of the questions on here suggest that it will which lead me to buy it. Note I am talking about the BT infinity service, this model may work for BT's normal broadband.

If you have infinity and want to get rid of your BT home hub you would either need to buy this AND have a white OpenReach fibre modem (although not sure why you would do that), or you would need to buy something like the TD-W9980 model which does have a vdsl modem in it and thus will replace all your BT kit.

Repeat: do NOT buy this model as a one box replacement for a BT infinity all-in-one hub like the 4 or 5.
on 17 May 2014
I bought this product a few weeks ago and have been using it since.

I'm using a QNAP NAS box downstairs, and have an office upstairs, with CAT6 fiber optic between the I wanted the speed of my Router to be able to keep up with the Gigabit speeds I have internal to my home network. Plus, the wireless speed of this router is excellent for streaming in general.

The setup for this product was so easy, it was fantastic. I made sure to download the latest firmware for the product in advance and updated it immediately after plugging it in. I do this with all new hardware.

Absolutely no complaints, this little router is screaming along. It's the perfect ADSL 2+ router that also supports Gigabit speeds.

PS: To some of the people who have given bad reviews (one guy in particular who bought the router thinking it would work on BT Infinity....?!?!) this is an ADSL 2+ Router. It is not a Fiber speed router. You cannot use this router on a Fiber Optic speed network. If it even works at all, it will cap your speed at 24Mb down. Please...please....look at what you're buying before you write reviews saying it doesn't do what it's supposed to!
on 8 April 2015
I bought this to replace my BT home hub 3 and home hub 5 and I couldn't be more pleased. The HH3 had a tendency to drop its internet throughput to around 1-2 Mbs for no reason, whilst the HH5 would stop working for no reason. Both devices required constant rebooting to get them working at least once a day. Now, after fitting the N600, I've had no problems at all. One of the main gripes that I had with the HH3 was that streaming video and audio would sometimes drop and then restart again, when using wireless. However, today it hasn't done that once. This router has overcome so many quirks that I was experiencing with the HH3.
1) I can connect via 5Ghz using my BT dongle and my connect speed is 220Mhz, whereas it fluctuated between 76-130Mhz before.
2) I do not get "cannot connect to server" messages from apps on my phone.
3) works straight away out of the box (almost)

The only things to note are to have your broadband password to hand before you start. BT broadband doesn't require a password, but using the quick setup option required one, so exit out of that and go directly to the WAN setup instead. Here you can configure the details without entering a password.

My only gripes are that the power lead is quite short for a router. Its probably just over a meter long, so have an extension cord handy. And secondly, it broadcasts both SSID's one for 2.4Ghz and one for 5Ghz at the same time. Which means that you have to configure two separate wireless passwords; and to connect, you need to know which speed your device supports. My HH5 only transmitted one SSID, and was able to allow any device to connect at any speed.
on 24 February 2016
Bought this to upgrade from our basic sky hub. So far so good. Very impressed with the ease of use to set up (however this was made MUCH more difficult by sky as they don't like people using a router other than their own). Speeds are improved and so is the range (now coverage all over the house a full strength (we have a modern 3 bedroom) ).

When buying this router i was keen to make use of the dual bandwidth function (which essentially removes interference from other routers, which all commonly use 2.4 GHz, as well as cordless telephones and baby monitors) as we are using multiple devices on the router all at once and this function allows newer devices such as mobiles and smart tv's to use the 5GHz bandwidth while still having the traditional 2.4 GHz one which we use on older wifi appliances such as our chrome cast and my older wifi card in my desktop computer.

Got a great deal on this with amazon and didn't think it would be as good as i have found it to be so far.

The reason for dropping a star on this was simply because i haven't been using it for very long and so haven't really given it much time to see any problems. The one issue that i am currently having (not actually that much of an issue) is that the 5GHz signal isn't reaching as far as the 2.4GHz??
55 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 March 2016
Great router on a budget - very fast and easy to set up.

One minor issue is that the 5GHz band will occasionally drop out - with the out of the box firmware. Make sure you upgrade from the TP-LINK website as soon as you can (only takes about 30 seconds), after that everything has been rock solid in terms of performance for me.
on 3 January 2016
Brought for a friend, having difficulty with sky WiFi
Although I thought I could use this router to directly connect used radius details, it turns out this model doesn't allow for that type of authentication to be used on sky line (via adsl).

However was able to use as wireless router and conect the to routers together to expand the network and broadcast two extra WiFi signals.

She now has no problems streaming mutiple feeds using apple tvs and Amazon fires
But this does mean u lose a port as to link the two routers u need to use the non wan port

All in all this is a good router than can be used to expand your network, but if using sky and want direct access u need a different model number
on 20 April 2016
did not work, so have returned and got another one. fingers crossed. got the new one and have set it up on sky network with no problems. i found a program thats better than wireshark, its called sky credentials extractor, i found it in sky user forums thers also a pdf file with simple instuctions. had to set for PPoA in new router and set vpi as 0 and vci as38 and the router took care of the rest. have also set up to use open dns as my server and the speed has increased dramaticaly. hope this is of some use. ps i had a sr 102 hub.