Price:£1,799.00+ Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 20 March 2014
This is quite an expensive lens, but results so far make me believe it is worth every penny. I am using it on a D300, which being a DX camera, means this is equivalent to a 120-600mm lens. The VR system is excellent; as you look through the viewfinder whilst holding the lens, it obviously waivers around a bit, but as soon as you slightly depress the shutter release, the image in the viewfinder is rock solid; its fantastic. I have achieved great results at 1/60th sec whilst handheld, which for me is very good going. The autofocus system is very quick; but I also find it very easy to use on manual focus. As you would expect with all the electronics and glass, its a fairly hefty weight, but not uncomfortably so. The lens comes with a good quality case, which is useful for me as it will not fit in my gadget bag.

This is the most expensive item of photographic equipment I've ever bought, but I am very happy with the results I'm getting, so I think its worth the money. Highly recommended.
on 20 July 2014
Awesome lens! I know it's expensive 'for a zoom' but the reality is that the quality of zoom lenses has been getting better and better.....this is as good as it gets for a zoom with a great zoom range. It is sharp, you can look at loads of reviews and try and pixel peep but stop wasting your time and just buy it, then get out and use it, you'll love it!!
OK, at f5.6 it isn't as fast as we would like, but for the weight and relative size (in comparison to a f.28 prime it is compact), and price realistically we can cope with that....especially with the ISO performance on DSLR's now.
Do I still want a 500mm f4?? Yes of course!! I want the 600mm and to 800mm too......but try travelling with them all!! Only ok on a road trip, you're gonna pay to get them all on a plane! This is ideal for travelling with.
I know you want to know if it works with TC's.......the good news is that with a 1.4 it is fine, but you do have to use good long lens technique; sturdy tripod, cable release, mirror lock up etc... I haven't tried it with a tc above this but think it would start to get unusable. With 1.4 you can print and it is sharp enough......just, it isn't a prime.
Overall though if used for what it is mean't for, you'll love it.
on 30 September 2014
After reading the reviews from other people, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase one for myself. I enjoy bird photography in particular and had previously used the 70-300mm Nikon lens. However, although it has taken me a bit of time getting used to the weight of this lens, I have managed to get some good shots of birds in flight quite a distance away which is what I bought it for. It's a good lens for taking all wildlife shots as I also photograph flowers and insects while I am on my walks and don't have a macro lens. It may not be the best for these but it takes quite an acceptable shot and saves changing lenses. I manage to carry this lens on a walk of about 2 hours so think that I've got used to it quite well.
on 27 May 2013
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR LensI had the 80-400 old version from launch and it has been one of my most used lenses. The only gripe was the focus speed which made it pretty porr on anything moving fast. However mine was very sharp at all focal lengths, the VR worked very well and many images were published from pix taken with it. From the F5 to the D800 it took literally tens of 1,000s of images. The VR broke and I got it fixed but then earlier this year something came apart inside and the excellent Fixation quoted over £600 to repair it. Anyway I got the new one from Amazon for £2,164 which was OK.

Bottom line is it good? Is it worth the money? Yes on both counts. The focus is snappy, the VR really really works, the contrast is better, no flare at all (the old lens was good there too), zooming super smooth, not too heavy. These days I frequently fo out with just the 16-35, 70-180 micro and now the new 80-400 when biking or walking far. The tripod collar is slightly bendy but not bad.

So in answer to the critics I see nothing to fault so far. In a recent Folk Festival weekend I used it extensively for video and handheld stills, some a slow as 1/50th and still good. Far far better than the 70-200 plus teleconverter. Obviously not as good as my 500mm f4, but hey..... I am so pleased that I am thinking of getting a D7100 as a spare body for the 500 and the 80-500.

So if you want a highly versatile three lens setup get the 80-400VR, 24-70 and the 16-35VR. I know that this lens will be constantly in my bag and on a camera. It is that good.
on 14 September 2013
Arrived very quickly after ordering. Took it on safari to Kenya, coupled with a D7000. Last time my gear was a D300 with 70-300 but this combo was much, much better. Caught some beautiful, deep and clear images, and there wasn’t much in the way of flare. It’s a lot bigger and heavier than my old lens but it isn’t too uncomfortable to hold, although I wouldn’t like to lug it around for any distance (probably an age thing). Focusing was pretty good although I missed a couple of shots where the subject was quite close, and the VR seemed to work ok when it was needed (I used a bean bag mostly). It’s expensive yes, but it’s pretty good, and for me it’s an indulgence I’m glad I treated myself to.
on 17 May 2013
What can I say? Sharp images, fast AF, lightweight. On a D800e it is outstanding. Works great with the 1.4 extender. Could be the only long focal length lens you'll ever need.

Update. I'm using this with a TC 1.4x extender and this should be giving me 560mm, but I'm not convinced it does. It feels much shorter.
With the TC it's maximum aperture is f8. It's very soft. By contrast it gets very sharp if stopped down to f11.
AF works reasonably well at f11.
on 10 August 2013
I had been waiting for Nikon to produce this lens every since I bought my D300 body in 2008. As many will know, the previous version is year 2000 vintage and so getting very long in the tooth in technological terms. The principal changes to the lens are: super-fast autofocus, massively upgraded vibration reduction and nano-crystal coating to extra-low dispersion glass. Each of these is a significant advance in itself; in combination the leap forward is huge. But then so is the price! You can still pick up the old 80-400mm lens for a whisker under £850 whereas, at time of writing, Amazon will get you a new version for just over £2000. Whether the huge difference is justifiable is a subjective judgement - for me, this lens is primarily for sports and wildlife photography when I may, or may not, have a tripod to hand. In these circumstances, the upgrades to the new lens are vital and I, for one, am glad I was patient and waited for the new model. Early results are every bit as good as I'd hoped and I'm still getting used to the capability.
on 15 March 2014
Quick focus,sharp producing very good quality picture but heavy and expensive but all in all worth that money.
I Highly Recommend it.
review image review image review image
on 23 June 2014
I have not spent much time with this lens yet but so far it has certainly lived up to my expectations.I think this lens is a worthwhile purchase and not just because I required a lens covering this range. It has great features and the ability to please I think its well worth its money.I find the autofocus very quickly which I like and the image stabiliser is a great thing for a shaky person like me.
on 5 May 2016
certainly a big step up from its predecessor, but with the D750 I had trouble getting sharp images utilising the VR. I've since learned this camera has issues with certain VR lenses, which eas allegedly fixed in a firmware update.

The sharp images I did obtain were superb, excellent sharpness and contrast up to 350mm, then a little drop at the top end.