on 9 May 2013
Having devoured the prequal and the first two books I was really looking forward to this one. What a let down. So much of the book is given over to politics running up to a Presedential election, which is interesting if you want a political thriller. If you were expecting a taut chase to a thrilling ending you will be disappointed. Nevertheless it is a good book and I will await the next in the series and hope that the author is back on his game.
on 3 February 2016
It's ok, but I got fed up of the underlying racist and sexist comments, e.g: none of the white characters are described as "a white guy with short brown hair", but all the black characters are described as "a huge black guy with short dark hair and a deep voice". Why?? The same is applied to the female characters who all have their size, shape and looks described. I have read a few in this series but won't be reading any more.
on 10 April 2016
Having read this authors previous books in this series I immediately ordered this one. I was not disappointed, could not put it down I will not give you the plot, other people do it better than me. Suffice to say, buy this you will be in for cracking good read, I am now going to order the next book.
on 26 November 2013
Having read Deadly Stillwater as a freebie, I wanted to read more.
I liked the detective and the storyline, but was disappointed with the use of such foul language.
I have been known to dismiss books before now.
Despite this, I read on and have now read all four books within 3 days! (I really must get some sleep)

Being English, the American political system was rather confusing and I ended up skipping pages, but the storyline was brilliant.

Having now read all four books, I find parts are repeated often(and as a result are skipped), so If you were to pick up a book and didn't follow the sequence, you wouldn't be lost as to what has gone on before or how everyone fitted into their roles.
A great standalone book for those who didn't want to read them all.

The bad language seems to have thinned out too.
I cant wait for the next instalment.
on 6 January 2015
A good story, in particular the first chapter, let down by characters who are close to super heroes. More than a pinch of salt required to believe how the main detective operates. He has always got the best contacts in town/world, and I like characters to be believable and know a little more about their background. Not his best.
on 14 April 2013
My only complaint about this series of four books is that I have finished them - and there is not a fifth instalment. If you look at my other reviews, you will see I'm very picky over spelling and phrasing - this book is so good I forgot to be irritated when the proof reader allowed confusion between to and too. There were a few other sillies, and frequent abuse of the humble apostrophe, but the story is so compelling you just keep going.

When I read First Case, I was impressed. I wondered if the author was going to be able to maintain this standard of work - I have to say, if anything he is getting better. Good plotting, good character development, and I like the way characters from earlier stories reappear - although I did miss Dot this time around.

I am very much looking forward to seeing where this character goes next.
on 27 July 2015
Loved it, I only recently purchased these books and I could not put them down, I read all 4 in a week, I love the characters, story lines and how I got completely caught up in the books. My only criticism is that in every book it is explained how Mc Ryan has got to where he is now, which is necessary if you have not read any others.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 January 2014
A good plot. Believable characters. Realistic dialogue. What more can you ask for in a crime thriller. McRyan is a 'hero' who is easy to like and relate to. I have read criticism of the political content in the novel - but it's a story about political chicanery (the title kind of gives you a clue) so what do you expect.
A thoroughly enjoyable read. I've now read all of the McRyan series so get writing again Roger and you'll sell at least one download.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 November 2013
Two journalists see something they shouldn't and end up dead along with a good few others as the baddie adopts a scorched earth policy. I found this book quite gripping as there seemed to be a new development in every chapter. It is, however, very much a plot driven novel so I didn't find the characters very developed. It is pure escapism so well worth a read. I have deducted one star as it could do with some minor editing (most notably phased instead of fazed) which distracted me.
on 12 May 2013
Another great read from the author, absolutley loving the Mac series of books. If I'm being honest this is probably my least favourite so far, and if Amazon allowed halfs stars it may have got 3.5 instead of 4 (its much better than a 3 though !).

Cant put my finger on why I didnt quite like it as much as its predecessors, maybe its because being British I'm not quite so knowledgable on the US voting systems, so had to go with the flow on what made up a large part of the plot. And as a result maybe I couldnt buy into it as much as good old fashioned murder or kidnap.

Thats not to say its a bad book though, not by any sense. Tthe characters are as briliant as ever, and nice to see some knew ones, maybe didnt quite match the camaradarie of the earlier books though which was one of the things I really enjoyed.

I'm glad I read it, and cant wait for the next book, just maybe if I ever come to 're-read' this series in a few years I'd probably for for one of the first two novels ahead of this one.