Customer reviews

1,084
Item Package Quantity: 1|Change

on 18 February 2016
Many people have outlined why the product is good. There are some things that make it not so good, however.

The first is that the cutting length is adjusted by twisting a large knob on the device. That's fine as far as it goes, but often I have started cutting my hair at 5mm or 7mm length only to find at the "end" of the cut that the cutting length has shifted to 3mm. I am not pressing particularly hard with it.

The second gripe is that the device uses a non-standard charging plug. If something goes wrong with your charger, an aftermarket charger would be difficult to find. This happened to me with an earlier version of this.

The fact that you can rotate the cutting head is a gimmick. I have cut my own hair with standard trimmers many times before owning this one. I rarely even bother to rotate the cutting head.

I won't say it's a bad product; far from it; but I think I would save some money and go for a cheaper trimmer in the future, which would likely work just as well. (In fact, have had cheaper trimmers in the past and they have worked just as well. This seemed like it would be better, but not really.)
on 27 April 2017
I bought these as my old Philips clippers are around 3 years old and not cutting so well now but they have been very good and as I cut my hair every couple of days , as I like to keep it to the bone and it only takes a few minutes I thought I would get the same brand as I haven't had any problems with my older ones until now. Been using them for a few days and after a couple of cuts I am very impressed with them. Cuts great and very quick. Easy and comfortable to hold. Charge for around 3 hours and you get about an hour of use. The clippers do rotate p to give a better cut. The instructions aren't to clear as they are just pictures and would have been better with some written instructions like how to change the length settings but I figured it out as there is a dial you turn to get the various length settings so it's pretty simple to do. You get a cleaning brush and some oil for the blades .it might be tricky at first trying to get the exact length you want as its not really clearly marked on the dial as to how short it goes but as I keep mine right to the bone it wasn't really an issue for me so I would recommend turning the dial about half way depending on how you cut your hair . All in all a great pair of clippers and I am more than happy with them. Delivery was super fast even with free delivery.
on 29 October 2016
I love it cuts well and makes it a lot easier. I stopped going to the barber since I started using this clipper.
***UPDATE 11th Feb 2017.***
I was in the middle of my haircut and comb just broke. You won't expect this from Philips. There is no way i am going to spend £11 on a replacement comb as I used it 6 times since I bought it
Very disappointed.
review image
on 21 June 2015
I did actually really like these clippers, being able to cut my own hair was very handy. I also found them to be very 'sharp' I have very thick hair and always cut it down to a grade 1 or 2, these clippers cut through it really easily, so much better than my old ones. I did have problems trying to work out which number to use to be honest. The Number 2 on these is definitely not the same as a Grade 2 on my old ones, it pretty much scalped me!! I have to use a Number 7 on these clippers to get a short cut which resembles the Number 2 cut on my old clippers, but once I got used to this they were fine. BUT I have to give these clippers only 3 stars as today I tried to cut my hair and they are totally dead. I have tried charging them, tried using them with the power cord attached and nope, nothing is working. Considering these were only purchased in December 2014 (as a Christmas present for me) I am very disappointed. I have contacted Amazon to see what they say but I do not hold much hope. Hopefully they will refund or replace (fingers crossed) I would actually accept a replacement if offered as I did like them until they stopped working!!!
on 30 September 2016
This is a home clipper by Philips, designed for easy maintenance of your hair - typically gent's hair since it is meant for quick and uncomplicated jobs DIY. It's a simple device and as you might imagine works best with short hair styles. I have the same length cut all round, short at the back, short at the sides, short on top. So for me, this is the perfect device for trimming and keeping my neckline/sides tidy without having to go out and pay to have a professional cut. However, if I had anything more complex or wanted to make more refined styles by myself, then this might not be the best device to use. It fits very easily in the hand and is the sort of device you could throw in a bag and take on the road with you, if you're the kind of person that likes to keep their hair perfectly tidy at the edges. I understand that this could be used for beards, but I haven't been able to test that - however, I would imagine that keeping a beard in shape would be the kind of job this would be the right tool for. With off and on usage I would say I get about an hour's use on one charge, so you won't need to be plugging it in all the time before each trim. A useful addition to your DIY hair care.
on 17 March 2017
This is a very powerful clipper. It has two attachments and and it can cut to near nothing. I mostly use the smallest setting and the first attachment. At first the swivel head was wierd but I sort of got used to It. The only problem I'd say is that it did just cut out when I was using it so I had to charge it up again. Not a major problem if you're not in a rush, but It did surprise me that it just cut out and not slow down.
The size is a bit bulky in your hand especially if you have small hands. But this did cut through my hair with no problem so I'd say it's very good.
on 10 February 2015
This review will be steadily updated but first impressions are promising however i would state this is not for people with thick hair as the blades are very fine but wont have the strength for very thick hair cutting this is not bad as this just means you will have to thin out your hair prior.

the strengths of this hair cutter as is follows
Great overall cutting power on people with short hair who are just trying to maintain there hair
Extremely quiet this is a advantage for toddlers as this cut threw my 3 year olds hair well after i thinned it out a bit with scissors.
The way its head can rotate is dead helpful for children the small blades also dont look intimidating.
comfortable and light in the hand and decent grip

weaknesses
not enough cutting power for thick adult hair makes sense as the guy in video is just shown to maintain short hair.
Would settings are a bit fiddly not overly bad as some claim.
Not fit for any type of hair if its overgrown unless its really fine hair
on 27 December 2016
Very happy with the item... this is my first purchase of clippers and I think they were very good for a novice. I did make a few mistakes on my own hair though! But hey.... next time I will be better! haha after all it's only hair and it'll grow back! (I hope!). The different size adjusts are great, I did have to look up though what size in mm was equal to what grade.... but that's a very minor issue. The power button placement is so perfect and very well thought out. Seems to keep its charge well. Great bit of kit. Should pay for itself within 2 haircuts!
on 10 March 2016
I think the cut is quite good , I still have the original from 5 years back that feels more solidly built and was also self sharpening , the plastic on this model feels a lot cheaper and the plastic for changing the shortness of cut are very flimsy that is why I have only given it 4 stars , I would not have paid full price for this so at the price I paid I think it is good value for the money . Another gripe is having to put oil onto the blades each time you use it , I never had to do that on my old model because the components were so good , I only bought this because the plastic cutting adjuster had given up . Only buy this when its on offer its not worth paying the full price , overall a decent product that gives a decent hair cut .
on 5 January 2016
I had a previous model QC5530, had it a couple of years, but one of the combs broke. Rather than ordering a spare part I decided on this one for the price it was offered at.

I am really pleased with it. There seem to have been a few minor tweaks. The unit is quieter. The head rotates 360 degrees (rather than 180 as is stated). You can wash under the tap (my main reason in deciding to order). The blade has rounded edges and the shorter length comb cuts much shorter and more accurately and comfortably. The longer comb is the same size as the short comb on the old model and there is no really long setting, but that isn't an issue. Overall I'm very pleased I updated.