Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 3 May 2017
A very good story BUT, also very disjointed where the writer jumps from one subject to another instead of starting a new chapter or even given an emboldened heading. i.e., “The following day, or later that evening”. I found myself not being able to get the gist of the story in places as the story did not flow. I had to keep turning back as when I turned the page, we were on a completely different subject.
This is just 1 of many examples, where Millie was in Stratford Christmas shopping with her mother. I turned the page to “Would you like some gravy” thinking I had turned 2 pages at once I looked back, but no, I hadn’t, it was Christmas day.

It was constantly like this throughout the book which I found to be very misleading and at times, hard to follow until I realised the author had jumped to another part of the story. Sadly, I shall not be buying any more of her books to read as you never know where you are up to as lack of Chapters when changing to another part of the story.

I also think that she should have done some homework on dancing instead of just saying she/he took a back step or sidestep. It would have been better to make no reference to it at all as it was clear that she didn’t know anything about dancing.
It also had not been proof read very well as there were a few spelling mistakes/ typos, which you do not expect to find in a book.
A great pity as the story was good, but the layout poor.
on 11 April 2017
I was so disappointed with this book as it was not really about nursing, it flipped from one subject to another and I found it difficult to keep reading. I did finish the book but it is not one that I would recommend, None of the story lines could hold me and some seemed to me unfinished. I will say that it is a very easy reader but just not for me.
on 3 May 2017
A good easy going story great for relaxing @ bedtime.
on 17 April 2017
Five stars as I enjoyed this book so much and can't wait to read the next book Well done Jean
on 27 May 2017
Funny and a good read
It's 1945, and the Second World War is over, but for 25 year old Millie Sullivan, her life as a qualified nurse and midwife in the East End of London is as busy as ever. Together with her nurse colleagues at Munroe House Nurse's Home, Millie witnesses her share of tragedy and yet her determined spirit sees her though the harsh reality of living through some tough circumstances. The indomitable spirit of the people who inhabit the overcrowded streets and the bomb damaged buildings of the East End, come gloriously alive in this wonderful historical saga.

This is the first of Jean Fullerton's books I have read, but I am impressed with the way she controls the narrative and allows the characters to develop, so that by the end of the book you really care about what happens to them. Millie in particular is a feisty heroine who encapsulates the spirit of the time in her no nonsense approach and down to earth way of dealing with whatever life throws at her. By using her undoubted skill as qualified nurse, the author has used her medical knowledge to good effect, and has written a story which pulls you in from the very beginning. The individual stories really tug at your heart strings, and yet beyond the heartbreak and tragedy, there is always hope for a better future.

Overall, this is a really lovely story, which will appeal to anyone who enjoys post-war social history.
on 12 September 2013
If I'm honest I thought this book would be just like 'Call the Midwife' but I've read other books by the same author and so trusted her instinct for storytelling. To start with my imagination conjured up the nurse in Call the Midwife but that only lasted a page I got to know and love Millie. Oh my! She was nursing in some tough conditions and having to care for her family.

I genuinely couldn't put the book down. My husband would find me tucked away in some corner of the house reading when I really should have been doing other things.

The brilliant thing about the story is that it wasn't predictable. It didn't turn out how I expected - right down to the last page. The writing evoked emotion (I won't say any more!) and I desperately want to find out what happens next in Millie's life.
on 25 May 2013
I really enjoyed this novel. We see the post war London through the sympathetic eyes of Queen's Nurse, Millie - the squalor and disease that was part of everyday life for the slum dwellers. It is clear that the author has done her research, but uses a light hand to skillfully weave historical fact/social history and a great story together in such a way that the reader is engaged and entertained. I read Call Nurse Millie quickly because I wanted to know what happened to Millie's fiancé, the other nurses, her mother and all of the well rounded secondary characters who walk across the pages of this novel. I don't want to write a spoiler so I'll just say there is romance, tragedy, humour and, ultimately, a happy conclusion for most of the characters.
I hope there will be a sequel and that Nurse Millie will be knocking on our doors, very soon.
on 31 July 2015
This is a dissapointing book about nurse Milly Sullivan's Private & Working life with the London Queens Nurses just after WW2.
We do not learn anything about nurse Millie's relationships with any of her patients instead, this is just a shopping list of Millies life in general, not at all what the book title nor the book cover insinuates. This book could be about any female in England. Very dissapointing. There are many better books out there about the life of nurses from WW1 & WW2 onwards that are thrilling and very interesting, showing just what a real nurses life was like.
I bought my book on Kindle Audiobook. The narrator, Penelope Freeman is perfect, especially her impersonation of the male chararters
that for me, are much better than her female characters who's voices are too unrealistic and sound like dramatic females from a Charles Dickens novel & too stereotyped which is a bit patronising & insulting to the female. But all in all, it was Penelope Freeman that had me listening to the very end of this book; otherwise I would have stopped half way through.
on 24 October 2013
I hadn't seen *that TV show* and I did think this would be a bit predictable and sweet. I also don't tend to read stories which aren't contemporary. How wrong was I? I LOVED THIS STORY, FROM THE FIRST PAGE TO THE LAST. ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.
It didn't turn out how I'd thought. There were some very sad moments in the story, and I cried about three times while reading it. It deals with some very harsh subjects too, very well.
The period details about nursing, and the NHS starting were very interesting, and didn't jar with the story. They were just slipped in without me hardly noticing. They gave it a really authentic feel and I never felt anywhere else but the East End of London, in that time period. My mum wasn't even born when this story is set and I'm in my thirties, but it didn't stop me finding the time period very interesting. It's shocking how differently we are as a society now from then, and this book really showed that, in positive and negative ways.
The characters were a joy to read - Milly was a likeable character, but not too perfect. She had her faults, and made mistakes, like real people do. Her heard was always in the right place.
Her friends were great fun, and I loved reading about the dances they went on together. The details like their hairstyles, and the music added in elements which made me always feel in that time and place, every time I opened the book.
Some of the patients were so interesting, I wanted to hear more about them each time.
The woman in charge of the nurses home was great, I loved her and Millie's run ins each time. It was like a good soap opera, and I laughed a lot.
I was sad when it ended, and look forward to reading more from this author.