Platform: Xbox 360|Edition: Standard Edition|Change
Price:£0.79 - £58.92

on 29 October 2013
I rarely review things, but after reading the negative reviews, I felt obliged in this case. People are complaining its similar to Assassins Creed 3. Tell me, what did you expect?
Now let me be clear, this is no GTA 5. But that's because its not meant to be! This game is designed with a completely different aim. But enough of that, let me get into it.

Gameplay: Now if your a fan of any other Assassins Creed game, your going to love this one. All the free running and movement has been refined, I have noticed very little of the bugs that used to annoy me all the time - I am yet to plunge fifty feet to my death accidentally jumping the wrong way because of bad controls - even after several hours of gameplay. Assassinating is as slick as ever, and having four guns as opposed to one finally makes them worth shooting! If you enjoyed the Naval battles on AC3, this is definitely for you! So much of the game is based on the open sea, but only if you want is to be. Sure, many missions involve boarding and plundering a ship, but if this isn't your cup of tea - though it is great fun - then you can stick to the cities for the most part (the 3 main ones all being large enough). I haven't yet reached the main idea of harpooning in this game, but thats probably because i spend most of my time causing havoc in Havana, and if the rest of the game is anything to go by, it will be good.

One thing that has been greatly improved is the stealth aspect in this game. It is possible to do almost every mission without entering open combat, and for this I greatly applaud Ubisoft, as stealth had all-but been abandoned in Assassins Creed 3.

However, while everything as been refined and added to, apart from the Naval battles, there isn't a huge amount of new features here, so if you don't like captaining a ship, I would have to recommend you stay away from this one.

Graphics: The graphics in this game are breathtaking. Even on Xbox 360, and I cant wait to see them on next-gen. If i compare it to AC2 (my favorite AC game) they are amazing, but however, if you played AC3, there really isn't that much new in the graphics department, as they were extremely detailed.

Storyline: Reasonably predictable overall, but it's always interesting to learn of Edwards struggles throughout his life. The new Abstergo modern day events that have taken over from Desmond are just about perfect - I personally find them interesting, but they never take you out of the game for too long!

Multiplayer: Not a big multiplayer fan on the AC games, so havent played it yet.

Conclusion: I would give this game an 9/10. Its an excellent game, and any die-hard fans of Assassins Creed will love it. Even if you simply enjoy playing them once in a while, I suggest you pick this one up. It has great gameplay, a decent storyline, and kept me glued to my TV for 4 hours straight when i got it today.

Ignore the other 'supposed diehard fans of AC' and look at it this way. If you enjoyed other Assassins Creed games (here I mostly mean the Ezio era, as many agree AC3 was a step back) and you liked the naval parts of AC3 then you will enjoy this one. If you don't like the Naval Battles, or the Assassins Creed format in General, stay away from this one.

Overall I would highly recommend it, Great game!!
99 comments| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 February 2014
Absolutely brilliant. It restored my faith in the franchise, which had been going downhill, particularly with 3. The characters are brilliant and Edwards progression as a character is interesting enough to keep you engaged.
on 28 February 2014
I'll admit, I wasn't too keen on AC3. In fact, I ended up trading it in soon after I had bought it. So when I heard that ACIV was going to be about pirates, I lost all faith in Ubisoft.
Being a loyal fan from the very first game, I decided to give this game a go and try it. It restored my faith in Ubisoft, I have to say.
The story wasn't as strong as I would've liked and the modern day Abstergo parts were strange to get used to, but all in all, the characters were memorable and the locations were beautiful. Not to mention the crisp and clear blue sea you spent most of the game travelling on.
Though a lot of the missions got repetitive i.e. eavesdrop ones, there was a lovely blend of stealth and fun which I didn't expect to see.

I would definitely recommend this game.
on 11 November 2014
I have played most of the AC games over the years and this is a great addition. The running around town bit, clambering onto rooftops and assassinating people seems to be a smaller part of this game and that detracted from this a bit. But anyway, a list or two.

The Pros:

- More of the same. If you like the series then you will like this game. Climbing and parqouring around town is endlessly diverting and stealthily taking out enemies is never boring. There is a small RPG element to this game but it is very much a linear progression and that keeps things interesting.
- Ship Battles. I wasn't expecting to take to the high seas and engage in ship battles but you do. It feels a bit awkward at first but once you get the hang of it it is huge fun and I would quite happily play just a game involving naval battles as they are quite tactical and boarding a ship and looting it's cargo is a hoot.
- beautifully presented. There are not many bugs in this game and it is very well made with a clear and concise interface. There is a companion iPad app and this works seamlessly...but is a bit of gimmick to be honest.

The Cons:

- Not enough assassinations. You spend a lot of time climbing and accessing towers but once you've done that then the town is yours. The amount of difficult assassinations is very small and none of them are that challenging. The forts have been replaced with Naval forts that are very easy to defeat.
- Too easy. I just haven't found a mission or an assassination that is tough, maybe I'm playing it wrong. The naval battles are easy once you figure out how to range your firing and the assassin bit of the game is very easy.
- Collecting things is pointless. You can clear out an island or a town...but to what end? There is no loot as a result so I did a few and then gave up. Animus fragments are the same - I want to clear a region but I want an incentive.
- Legendary Ship battles are just a boring war of attrition.
- Returning to the future. You go back to Aspergo entertainments modern day office and it makes you undertake some the most boring things in video game history...like take lifts, collect packages from couriers. I have work for that.

Seems there are more cons than pros but this is a good game and a great addition to the series...but Assassins Creed 2 it ain't.
on 29 November 2013
5 Stars 100%!
Amazing game, a real high point in the series.
Even if you don't like previous Assassin's Creed games this is a very different experience while keeping old hardcore fans very happy.

I would recommend to everyone!
on 31 October 2013
Assassins creed black flag is the best ac to date! It a huge amount better than ac 3 which was a bit of a dissapointment. The open world is huge and there is so much to do and explore. The naval battles are amazing and have been greatly improved from ac 3. The stealth is also very good and there are plenty of weapons to kill people with! Ignore the negative views there just looking back at ac 3 and using that to go against this one. If you are a fan of the ezio games then you will love this one! Plus it has staggering graphics and detail!
on 14 November 2015
This is the best Assassin's Creed in the series. Not only do you have an absolutely massive world to roam, but there's loads to do in it.

As you can guess, the sailing/pirate aspect of it is incredible, but you can still run around climbing up and down buildings like Spiderman and execute ridiculous kill moves from certain vantage points. Each weapon has specific kill combos attached to it, which sometimes leaves you like "**** no way!" after a kill, beautifully brutal.

I could go on and on but you've got to play it to understand. The characters are great, the story is great and the ending is just as good.
on 17 September 2014
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag is a great game that you will love. I have played most of the Assassin Creed games but this one may be the best.

The game takes the concepts within Assassin's Creed world and puts them into a pirate adventure game. The game does an amazing job of interjecting some history as well into the game. The game features historical characters like Blackbeard and Benjamin Hornigold. Beside the history, the game looks great.

The pirates within the game are not cartoon versions like the ones we see on tv. The game goes to painstaking efforts to make the story grounded within reality. The game look amazing and has tons to do within the game. Their is alot of content within the game, including exploring island and having your own pirate crews. The even acts differently based on the decisions you make, this includes singing different songs based on the bounty you collect. This is a great game that you should pick up.

Thank you for reading my review, if you have any questions feel free to email me, I would be happy to help you with any questions you have.
on 29 October 2013
Only a short way through it but so far it makes me feel like this could be the best assassin's game yet, Damn Edward is so awesome in this game, which is made better by how the feeling of the game ushers back to AC2, which in my opinion was the best AC to date, thank god this game makes up for the dullness of Connor in AC3. Assassination contracts are back and are still fun as hell and god, there is so much to explore, I mean I have only found a small fraction of the map so far but it is great fun using the Jackdaw to find new places.
on 30 October 2014
the reasons I gave assassins creed 4 black flag 5 stars is because it is BRILLIANT. the graphics are stunning. this game is different from others as you roam around in a ship in the Caribbean. this game is better than all the other games. new weapons like darts make the game play easier. I have played all the other games. the storyline is a bit confusing in times but you will get it. assassins creed had sailing but not a lot.

the first two sequences are a bit boring but after the 2nd sequence it is enjoyable and fascinating. the free roam in the ship is quite agood idea. mayan treasure is now available. instead of upgrading homesteads, cities etc you upgrade your ship. I love this games and am looking forward to rouge.