on 17 August 2017
As a network engineer working in a datacentre, I'm exposed to a lot of high level, enterprise grade, nicely designed and extremely functional pieces of equipment. This, sadly, is not one of those pieces of equipment. I avoided the likes of TP-Link and opted for a more established name, Linksys. Granted Linksys consumer equipment is all rebranded Belkin now, but still, reputable.

Bad Points:
- The power lead is incredibly short
- The webGUI interface is honestly shocking. I'm not sure how this made it to general release
- It reboots on EVERY config save, and you cant config more than one part at a time, so to actually config it with a static IP, in another subnet of my home network, and config the new WiFi SSID, and secure it etc etc. It rebooted a total of around 13 times.... Just to config it.
- You cant set a username... It's blank, and always will be, you can only change the password to the blank username login
- **IMPORTANT** When you enable the WiFi part of the AP, it enables it, connected to your network, with ZERO encryption, an open wireless network, connected to your current existing secure network. What on earth? Who designed this? Only after you've done that (and rebooted again I might add), can you then go and add an encryption method onto it. So thers 2-4mintues there where there is an open SSID broadcasting connected to your home network.
- **IMPORTANT** When examined with a WiFi Analayzer after being fully setup and running, the Linksys AP is clearly noted as an open WEP SSID. Granted, at this point I had it meshed with my existing SSID, so functioning as just 1. So this could be a bug. But still, be cautious, my analayzer 100% thinks that the Linksys AP has an unencrypted WEP endpoint on it. I spoke to Linksys Tech Support, they were unhelpful and not very knowledgable, they simply asked if my phone had connected via WPA2, it had, but to a meshed WiFi network. They refused to comment on the Linksys broadcasting a WEP endpoint. They blamed it on my WiFi Analyzer. I'm not convinced. Luckily for me, I run MAC filtering on the network security device that all of this leads back to. Nothing touches the NAS or any other high vlaue network client that isn't on my MAC whitelist.

Good Points:
- It's small
- It's quite neat looking
- It does actually work quite well as an AP once its config'd and setup

Would i recommend it to others?

Would I buy another one for myself to use in another place?
No to be honest, I wouldnt.

Is it worth the money?
No. I think I would have got the same or better user experience froma £16 TP-Link AP... This was £42

Is Linksys support any good?
Absolutely not.
4 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 12 October 2016
Worked well enough for a while but then started crashing the network. Not just crashing itself but actually taking down my entire home network including all the wired devices that were connected to other switches and routers. Periodically the unit locks up (all lights solid - no activity, no response to a ping) and when it does it takes all other devices on my network offline - looks like a broadcast storm or something similar. For a simple device like this that's quite an achievement. Unplug it and normal service was restored. Replaced the cable, upgraded firmware etc etc. Same problem. Searching online I found several other folks that have hit the same problem but so far no consistent combination of factors seems to trigger the crash. When it works its fine (although doesn't support both 2.4 and 5 GHz at the same time which is poor) but my overall experience was poor and there is clearly an obscure bug in there somewhere that means I sent it back for a refund.
on 25 August 2016
Works very well and the WiFi protected set up makes configuring new devices to connect to it a breeze. One slight issue is that it contains an undocumented DHCP server. While intended for initial set up only, if temporarily the intended DHCP server on the network is unavailable, the WAP300N will send out unwanted DHCP information to devices, which can result in devices losing connection to (say) the Internet. The workaround (Linksys see this as a "feature" and refuse do do anything about it) is to ensure that the WAP300N is the last device to be powered up on the network and the first to be powered down.
on 27 February 2016
There's a lot to be said for not mixing and matching networking products. I have a Linksys router and I bought a Netgear WN604 access point to extend its coverage. I got the Netgear to work only because I know what a default gateway and subnet mask is. Even still it took me half an hour to set it up. Then it was another several hours trying to figure out why the Netgear was intermittently losing connection. I eventually gave up and replaced it with the Linksys. The Linksys was a five minute job using the CD and no technical skills were required at all.

The access point gives twice the signal strength of the Netgear and noticeably faster transfer speed. This is using the "slow" 2.4Ghz band and I haven't tried it with the 5Ghz. My main router offers both bands simultaneously and the 5Ghz has a poorer range so unless you are getting interference from other wireless networks or really need the extra speed then setting the AP to 2.4Ghz should be fine.
on 14 December 2016
This thing is amazing. It does exactly what it should and it's never 'failed' or lost connection. I've configured mine as a wireless bridge and i've tried loads of dedicated products to do this in the past, but they've never worked.

On this it's as simple as enabling bridge mode, selecting the wifi network you want to bridge, and inputting the password. That's it.

I have no doubt it would work equally well as a wireless range extender or just a wireless access point.
on 8 October 2013
I bought this access point for use in a busy office. The range and speed is brilliant and it's well worth the money. Setup is a breeze, literally took two minutes to configure and start using. I simply plugged it into a network port, scanned the network to find its IP and logged into it to configure it, so didn't even look at the instructions! I am an IT Consultant though and know what I'm doing but I'm sure any computer user would be able to get this up and running easily.

Great access point and well worth the money, would highly recommend.
on 22 October 2015
Take caution if buying this to use as a Wireless Bridge. I'm not a networking expert, but I spent many hours trying to get this working before succumbing to the Support HelpLine. It turns out this device can only be bridged to another WAP300N. So if like me you want to bridge to a BT HomeHub or other third party router/access point, you have to buy two of these and hard-wire one to the router. This seemed somewhat pointless so it will be returned and an alternative product sought. It would have been useful if this had been specified in Linksys' Product Particulars.

Aside from that, Amazon's delivery was very efficient as was Linksys' Support HelpLine. If you want a WAP or Range Extender I'm sure this is a fine product.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 26 May 2014
I purchased this back in August 2013, and it worked fine, perfectly. At last I had a wireless connection to my router that didn't drop out at random!

Unfortunately, when turning it on this morning, it appears to be dead. The power light just flashes, constantly. Research suggests this is due to 'corrupt firmware'. I've never done anything to touch/change/update/alter the firmware, so I've no idea what has caused this.

Attempting a reset with the button on the bottom had no effect at all. I can't ping the device which means I can't attempt to reinstall the firmware as recommended in the Linksys support pages for dealing with corrupt firmware problems.

Thus, what I appear to have is a paperweight, which is really annoying as until today it's been fantastic. However, considering it's lasted less than a year, I am forced to give it two stars.
on 22 May 2016
Dual band (One or the other) you can have this configured to work as a 2.4G or a 5G WAP not both at the same time which is great if 100% of your devices support 5G and you live in a single room as the range in 5G mode is terible compared with a netgear 5G WAP

This device is actually a really old model which is the reason for it not being true dual band.

I really dont rate cisco's consumour grade hardware i would stick to netgear or TPlink in the future.
on 19 September 2013
Not yet tried anything other than range extender mode. Some strange behaviours though. If the main router is powered down, it loses its WPS connectivity and this needs to be rest - simple enough to reset but annoying. Another (cheaper) Huawei device remembers it.
2 people found this helpful