TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 9 September 2013
Bait follows former lifeguard Josh as he arrives to his present day job at a supermarket, where he soon comes face to face with his ex Tina and her new boyfriend. Also having a less than great day is Josh's co-worker Ryan, who is fired after his girlfriend Jaime is caught shoplifting - oh, and the police officer called to the scene happens to be Jamie's father.

An awkward day gets more dramatic when criminal Doyle and his accomplice hold up the supermarket, wrongly believing that the manager keeps the previous day takings in the office safe. The two gun-wielding robbers are soon locked in a standoff with the pissed-off officer and there is no resolution in sight...

At which point the coastal community is hit by a tsunami, which completely floods the supermarket. The handful of survivors gather on top of the shelves and take stock of the situation, and soon notice that the water level is still slowly rising and inching closer to the now exposed electrical cables. So should everyone simply swim to safety? That option quickly becomes a NO, when our unlucky group realise that they are sharing the flooded and crumbling building with a 12 foot great white shark. So the question becomes whether to stay out of the water and be electrocuted/crushed/drowned before eventual help comes, or go into the water and risk getting munched on?

Meanwhile... The supermarket has an attached underground supermarket, which is where Ryan was when when the tsunami hit. Climbing onto a pile of overturned cars to look for a possible exit, he comes across a young couple who also escaped injury or death and a unflooded stairwell. However there is another shark between the second unlucky group and said stairwell, so they are also left with the same choice as the group in the supermarket.

***

Julian McMahon [Profiler, Charmed, Nip/Tuck] was the only cast member who I was familiar with, but almost everyone else holds their own too [even the Twilight guy]. I only found the guy playing Kirby to be a bit dodgy - he tended towards Nic-Cage-overselling-it territory. Then again his character is a bit borderline, so maybe that is how he meant to play it? Anyway his character tends to keep quiet most of the time, so I didn't find him distracting and/or annoying.

I don't know much about cinematography and stuff like that, so I can only say that I liked everything, and didn't notice any continuity errors. The sets were very realistic, the camera angle and underwater shots were great, the score was effective in it's minimalism, and the shots of the tsunami flooding the supermarket and carpark were brilliant - a big budget movie couldn't make the effects any better.

I didn't think the sharks looked any less real than they do in any other movie of this type - and yes, I'm including good old Bruce in that observation. I'll also point out that BAIT was filmed to be viewed in 3D for it's Australia and Asia theatre run, so maybe that makes a difference to how the CGI looks on the 2D version?

The only real problem that I had was how the film would suddenly go from serious drama when we focused on the group in the store, then swing to more comedic territory when we checked in on the threesome in the underground carpark. Sometimes this dual effect thing works, but in other parts of the film I found the effect pretty jarring. Maybe the script writers should have allowed a bit more humour to carry through to the store survivors too, as I kinda felt as though I was watching two films at times.

Also, can't we give the poor great whites a break from being the terrorizers in movies? Bull sharks regularly enter shallow water and are highly territorial and aggressive, so I'd have found it the sharks behaviour more believable if the filmmakers had used them instead.
3 people found this helpful
on 15 August 2015
Rather slow to start with a good deal of events that require the suspension of disbelief for a freebie on Prime it was worth watching. Certainly it was better than some of the dross available for free streaming. Acting was not great but OK and special effects were ok but no more. I would not really want to pay for it. I think it was designed for the 3D market judging by the number of times the shark jumps out of the water towards the cameram - and the closing scene was dire!
2 people found this helpful
on 22 March 2017
OK this is not A rubbish Ghost Shark / Atomic Shark / Sharknado rip offs. Neither is it Jaws. Jaws 2 at worst. It has very decent effects. Good Actors, and the plus of a home made shark cage made from shopping baskets. It is about a Shark. HTJI.
2 people found this helpful
on 2 February 2018
OK film, the characters are a bit limp, they tried to create an interesting back story for the main character but it didn't help.
I've seen footage of sharks leaping out of the water on nature programs but not when the water is only four feet deep.
The shark attacks are very implausible and they seem to have an inexhaustible appetite.
Having said all that the film doesn't take itself too seriously, and if you don't too you can have a pleasant hour and a half watching this.
on 29 March 2015
I actually loved this film, i went into thinking it was gonna be rubbish, a big fish!! I was so surprised how good it was, the effects are brilliant and is way better than similar SyFy channel cgi garbage, hugely entertaining and worth a watch, reminded me kind of The Mist, where the film is centred around the atmosphere and not the actual creatures
on 1 October 2013
I am a huge shark film fan! It is usually quite difficult to find one where the sharks look reasonably realistic and characters are engaging. This idea of this film is a bit extreme (tsunami hits Australian coast and floods a super market) but I found myself wanting to find out what happens to the characters. I really enjoyed this film. It you like shark films with a bit more suspense then another Australian film 'The Reef' is worth a look.
on 3 September 2013
i really enjoyed this film.We watched it in 3d and liked the effects that it offered.The film is basically based around ten people stuck in a shopping mall when they get flooded by a storm,but unknown to them 2 Great Whites also get washed in ,one in car park and the other in shop.It is then about them getting out and getting rid of the sharks.Besides a couple of scenes which you can see are CG it did not spoil the film considering it is what i class as a low budget film.
on 23 June 2015
Great fun entertaining flick which is certainly one of the better shark movies out there check it out its pretty cool. the kills are good. people that aint got a good brain for this kinda mayhem should probley avoid as they will just pick about it good flick
on 4 April 2018
Came the very next day .It's a one time watch film .It's not one you would watch again for a long time.
on 23 August 2017
Missed this film on T.V. so I bought the DVD, actually quite enjoyed the film, it's not over the top like some shark films, would I buy it again, yes I would.