Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 17 April 2013
I'm in two minds about this book.

I did enjoy reading the story. It's a slightly different take on the last years of Anne Boleyn, as it's told from the viewpoint of one of her maids of honour, Bridget. However, Bridget didn't do much herself other than run between the other historical characters so she could pass messages between them and Anne, and get dragged by Anne into rooms where she could see what was going on. As so much effort went into making Bridget appear in every scene, I think it would have been better if the book had been told in the first person, rather than the third.

Unfortunately, the book was let down by formatting problems: there are no chapter markers; there are big spaces between paragraphs; and speech is incorrectly punctuated, making it difficult to follow who's speaking at times.

Also, my Kindle copy stops abruptly at 97% with an "error, can't continue" -- fortunately, it's just after "The End" of the main story, but prevents me from reading the "Historical Note".

So, three stars. Might have been four if these formatting errors were corrected.
on 23 March 2014
I love historical novels, and having read most books on the subject of ann Boleyn thought I would try it. The writing style is easy enough, and the story (which we all know) was narrated from the point of bridget. I found it slightly annoying to have Bridget as the heroine and slightly implausible. After all, Ann had plenty of close friends and relatives and her story could have come from any of those characters. Instead, Bridget, who was likeable enough became the focal point. Ok, so I may be being ungenerous, try it for yourself.
on 23 March 2013
A thoroughly good book. Couldn't put down. Well researched and believable. I have read countless books on this subject and would recommend this one with no hesitation. I will read this over and over again.
on 24 February 2014
The plot centres around Bridget Manning, a young maid of honour to Queen Anne Boleyn and a distant relative of the Boleyns. The author tries a different approach and tells the story from point of view of one of her youngest attendants. Unfortnately, the idea doesnt really work, the author has Bridget hiding in dark cornors, over hearing vital peices of information and passing messages on like a little spy. In addition to this i didnt find the style of writing flowed particulary well, and i objected the the Americanisms that were to be found in the book - the work ''gotten'' for eg isnt used in modern day Britain let alone the th century. Despite all this i did finish the book, it was ok, but i think we can say Philippa Gregory's crown is safe!
on 30 May 2015
Excellent read was in floods of tears when Ann Bolyn was beheaded,, really liked the story being told by one of her ladies in waiting, it gave it a different slant somehow,
All in all was sorry when I finished it!!!
on 15 February 2014
I admittedly bought this book for the price but I thoroughly enjoyed it, different perspective to other accounts of the Anne Boleyn story, easy to read and I found it hard to put down, I have now purchased the second book Court of Traitors and I am not dissappointed, just hoping that the author does indeed make this into a trilogy and dosent leave it too long!
on 1 June 2016
Compelling story beautifully told. I just couldn't put it down. Bridget was so sympathetically Realistically written. Until I read the epilogue I was hoping she really had existed. I will keep this author in mind when searching for a new book.
on 5 June 2014
it took a little time to get into but once you are there you start to care what happens to Bridget even though you how the Queen ends up .How this effects Bridget is the story I have just downloaded the next book in the story Court of a traitor to read the end
on 7 December 2013
Never has an author worked so hard to get her main character into the right place at the right time. The fictional Bridget would never have seen or heard a fraction of things claimed for her in this account.

Not a great buy. A pitiful read.
on 16 April 2014
Fab book, great holiday read, easy to pick up and put down. Really could feel the atmosphere! Would recommend it.