on 10 November 2014
I bought this on finding out a friend has suffered serious burns after her clothing caught fire at the kitchen hob.

I work as a product (furniture) designer, so am familiar with materials testing and, in particular, stringent fire testing procedures.

I bought this as it stated 'BS EN 1869:1997'. The product that has arrived looks HIGHLY DUBIOUS; for starters, all over the packaging, the instructions are full of typos such as:

"Take a REFEASE tape and pull downwards"
"Ideal for homes,motorhomes.Boats&CARVANS..."
"This FIIR blanket is not adequate size for adult clothing fires"
"If clothing is on fire,force victim to GROUD"

No spaces after any of the commas, full stops where they shouldn't be and glaring typos...this did not fill me with confidence that this was a bona fide product.

It is worth saying the packaging states "Manufactured to...", NOT "Tested to..." BS EN 1869:1997. Make of that what you will. My reading is, at best, the anonymous manufacturer believes it meets that standard. I doubt any testing has ever been done. And if it had, you'd need a manufacturer's name to check the certification. It is HIGHLY BOGUS.

Also, nowhere on the packaging does it state where it was manufactured, or by/for whom. I believe that is illegal.

On the inner packaging, it states "Standard EN-1869:1997". Being a product designer, I am well aware the standards are prefixed "BS EN", not "EN". This makes me question if the certification is genuine.

To be clear, no manufacturer or even distributor is stated on the packaging - it is completely anonymous, and therefore untraceable.

If a manufacturer can't get the packaging right, will the technical specification be right? Experience tells me no.

The inner packaging contains a CE number, but unfortunately I can't find a free source for checking CE certificate numbers (although this may not prove the item is genuine).

All in all, a very dubious product. It alarms me that it is being bought to deliver a potentially life saving action, and can not be relied on to do so.

I have bought a First Alert fire blanket (Amazon Ref B000TRIX08); more money, but looks to be legitimately manufactured and with none of the above glaring warning signs. And it is Kite marked.

MY ADVICE IS NOT TO BUY THIS ITEM. BY THE TIME YOU FIND YOU NEED IT, YOU MAY BE LEFT WISHING YOU'D SPENT ANOTHER FEW POUNDS FOR THE REAL THING.

I plan to alert Amazon to this, to have the product removed. I will also be asking for a full refund (out of principle - I concede it wasn't expensive).
on 29 October 2014
I ordered this on the 21st October, and the item arrived promptly on the 23rd October. I'm impressed with the delivery.

However, on close inspection, this item is not made to European Standard EN 1869-1997 - no labels/ print on the outer packagaing or on the blanket itself. I also had this inspected by the Fire Services as they visited my property for safety checks - they confirmed it is not made up to standard. It's such a shame that companies would lie about this sort of things.
on 9 December 2015
Don't buy....... fake item, no British standard kite mark/number. Wording mis-spelt. Risk of not been able to extinguish a fire. Protect yourself and your family and leave well alone!Would give NO Stars
on 24 July 2016
I bought this for my girlfriend as her kitchen lacked one. I've had a similar item on standby for 25 years but thankfully it's never needed to be used.

A simple but effective solution to unwanted flames in a pan (or tiny fires in other places) at a good price.

Can't really review it properly unless it needs to be deployed (providing the deployer survives the deployment!) which will hopefully never need to happen.
on 8 August 2016
The biq question is will it work when you need it. At the low price it's worth buying two to try one out in non-fire conditions and have confidence in the remaining one. Worth doing anyway, because frankly if you haven't been trained how to use one you might end up in trouble. Watch a how-to video on YouTube.
on 18 April 2015
Thank goodness that i have never had to use this type of safety equipment, My old fire blanket was getting old so thought it was time to renew it as i don't know if they deteriorate, so better safe than sorry, found this and for the money very good value. it has the safety mark and is more compact than my old one. Have only given this 4 stars as you cant say if they are any good or not until you have used the product. just hanging there on the wall gives you piece of mind in case it is ever needed.
on 7 November 2013
Every home should have one in the kitchen, just in case. Also brilliant for caravans, holiday homes, tents etc etc.Without opening it out the quaility seems fine and the plastic cover reasonably substantial and a metal protective ring around the hanging hole fits over a nail in the wall OK.
on 29 April 2013
Looks the part, fortunately havent had a chance to use it and hopefully never will! Arrived promptly and well packaged, what more can you ask for?!
on 26 February 2014
Inexpensive and does the job (I hope) - it has been examined by a fire engineer and he was happy with it so it looks a good value purchase.
on 8 July 2016
It's a fire blanket!! It arrived promptly, and it look just like it's supposed to look! No idea if it's any good but hopefully I'll never have to put it to the test - and if I do it will all be a bit late by then!