VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 December 2013
"Graffiti On The Train", Stereophonics' eighth studio album, is unlikely to win them any new fans, garner any reviews littered with gushing accolades or, indeed, change many peoples minds about them. It is, however, rather an enjoyable listen for somebody who has always liked the band and Kelly Jones' writing, without always liking everything they have always done. I'm not convinced that this album is any real new direction, but it certainly features a slight more widescreen, evolved, mature version of the band which, considering the fact they've been around for over twenty years, shouldn't be much of a surprise. However, this album is most definitely recognisable as a Stereophonics release, even with the added orchestral touches and the usual bombast toned down a little, so there is no chance of them alienating any of their current fans.

The strings-adorned title track with its rather beautiful guitar solo is certainly one of the highlights, although the point Kelly is trying to make through the lyrics, if any, has been lost on me. "Indian Summer", again featuring plenty of strings boldly punctuating the chorus, is a particularly likeable song, "Catacomb" is a pounding, relentless chunk of indie-rock which, frankly, sounds great and "Roll The Dice" is a classy, emotive, ambitious composition and is, in my opinion, probably the best thing on the whole release. Final track, the poignant, vulnerable and rather beautiful "No-one's Perfect", completes my personal pick of the highlights from "Graffiti On The Train", but it also has to be said that there is also nothing particularly dislikeable on the album either.

It seems like having a break for a few years, recruiting a new drummer and spending a long time choosing the songs and getting the album sounding exactly how they wanted has paid off. It's a very good album indeed, with a handful of stand-out tracks which make this a worthy purchase for anyone who has enjoyed a Stereophonics album in the past. OK, it's not exactly "Performance and Cocktails", but it's a much better album than most people would expect from the group at this stage of their career and deserves a wider audience than they get these days. A lot of people seem to have written Stereophonics off... rather unfairly, it seems.
on 30 November 2013
In my humble view, this is the best Stereophonics album they've produced by some way. I like their other work, but I find that only certain songs get played after a while (More Life in a Tramp's Vest being one), possibly due to the 'hooks' taking something from the sentiment of the songs, which end up at the far end of my 'soft rock' playlist, with the CDs in a box in the garage. This album is an altogether more mature affair that immediately hooked me, but then offers more with each listen. It is layered, expressive and durable, as well as being one of the few albums that I listen to from beginning to end each time. At a time when lots of my favourite bands from my youth have become worse, comfortable and more desperate, the Stereophonics have become stronger & have grown with me. Great stuff. The other albums have now moved back up the playlist, by the way, and the CDs are in the car... well worth a re-listen if yours are gathering dust like mine were.
on 11 January 2014
Probably their best record so far. It's rocking britrock with a clever touch. Compared with the previous records "Graffiti on the train" contains more arrangements on the songs then we are used to with Stereophonics: introducing some strings, introducing a Viola, introducing Orchestral arrangements.

The nice thing is that the arrangement don't take over the record or dont' take over the rocking Stereoponics sound. It is still Stereophonics that I hear. The band has not forgotten where they musically came from. But the band also don't make the mistake to play safe by copying the sound and style of previous albums.

Listen for example to the build up in 'Violins and Tabourines': starting with a dry, basic guitarrif the song suddenly swifts from 1st to 4th gear with the same dry guitarrif. Stereophonics also have found themself in a sweet, bluesy mood with the telling 'Been caught cheating'. Personal highlight is the song 'Graffiti on the train'. I knew Kelly Jones could sing very well, but did not realise his full capability with his voice. Excellent sung on song which is like a train that is slowly speeding up.

Nope. Still not bored with Stereophonics. Looking forward to the next Stereorecord!
on 20 September 2014
I'm on a run with albums just now. This sat in my basket for months, and only listened to it for the first time yesterday after buying it last week. Been kicking myself, because this is a stunning album.

Amazing - if you think you know what to expect from the Stereophonics think again. This album has 10 great songs on it, each one different, but sufficiently in keeping with each other to make it a coherent work. Going to give it my full attention with headphones on now - you should do the same.

Might have to go see them live.
on 3 April 2013
This purchase was a present for my better half who is the 'top fan', so I thought my review would be more balanced! I have always liked the odd track (handbags & gladrags) but found some of their recent offerings a little 'samey' so when we gave this a full spin on the drive down to the coast at the weekend I was pleasantly suprised by the variety and quality of the songs on offer. Kelly Jones uses his talented tonsils far more sparingly and as a result does not homogenize the album as has been the case previously.

Reminded me of '22 Dreams' by Paul Weller in the way the tracks flowed, each change up or down the gears was well handled by the production team; good effort guys!....don't tell my wife, as I'll never hear the end of it!
on 4 April 2013
I've been aware of the Stereophonics for a long time, but their music has made little impact upon me before now. Half-listening to the radio, I became aware of a voice that reminded me of Journey's Steve Perry (a compliment in my book) and it proved to be Kelly Jones, singing on Indian Summer. Since then I've heard a few tracks from the album on the radio and liked every one I heard, so I decided to take the plunge and bought it. I've listened to the album twice now and the same is still true, each track has something to offer, with a variety of styles and influences. I have my own early favourites (Violins and Tambourines & Been Caught Cheating), but they may change with time, so give it a whirl, it's good.
on 25 March 2015
this is the first stereophonics album I have bought, for a very long time, and the first time ever on vinyl/LP format, and it's one of my favourite albums I have bought so far this year. I love the track we share the same sun and the title track. I prefer buying albums on vinyl, as I love its colossal sound quality, and its depth. I still like cd-s as well.
on 6 April 2017
One of the few Stereophonics albums I had not got to date. Great album brilliant tracks, especially the title track. Kelly is back to his best on this album. Prompt delivery, album priced very competitively.
on 23 March 2013
This, in my opinion, is their greatest album yet! It sways from one extreme to another, for example, the blues'y 'Been caught cheating' to the almost rocking soundalike to 'bartender and the thief', 'Catacomb'. I think that the female voice on 'Take me' sounds a little like Kylie Minogue and is fitting and sweet which helps carry the songs mystifying lyrics. If 'In a moment' is not their next single release, I will not be surprised as there are too many songs not to dislike on this album. I hope you will not be disappointed if you were to get this album. 5 stars.
on 12 July 2013
About 14 years ago I was in HMV buying some album or other for my then 13 year old daughter. There was a track playing on the PA which I didn't recognise but which I was sufficiently gob smacked by to ask one of the assistants who and what it was. Surprisingly, he didn't know either but went to find out for me. That track was "Not Up To you" by The Stereophonics, from the album "Word Gets Around". I challenge anyone to find a better track than that by any band on this planet. I of course bought the album, played it non-stop for weeks, and told everyone I knew about what I considered to be the best album in years. I've been a massive fan ever since but none of the albums since WGA, at least for me, have lived up to that initial experience. The guys have grown up since then obviously, both physically and professionally, and this latest offering is for me their best since JEEP. How do I come to that conclusion? It's the only one since then that's been an instant thumbs up, rather than a varying degree of "grows on you". For me, they can do no wrong, but Graffiti On The Train is a real signal that they're back doing what THEY are best at, making tracks which instantly register and stick with you all day. And again, for me at least, despite all the amazing stuff they've produced, there hasn't been one of those since "Dakota". Tremendous album!