Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 28 October 2016
CRAP nothing like the book
on 17 November 2013
I'd heard The 5th Wave was the next big thing. I'd heard it was all hype. Nothing makes me rush at a book faster than conflicting opinions. It's like waggling a hot dog at a Labrador Retriever. I've got to know what that hot dog tastes like! I will trample anyone who stands between me and that hot dog! I will afterward stop for a pee against the nearest school gate...! No, sorry, went too far.

The books starts slow. Slow in a good way. The most realistic books, the books that want to tether their horror to something real that readers can identify with, tend to do that. I enjoyed the flashbacks immensely. The build up was awesome, the one-liners chilling and I was genuinely terrified for the fate of a teddy bear.

Cassie, Zombie and Sams were great characters. Ringer, Dumbo and co also. The only character I didn't warm to was Evan. He was a little too Clark Kent for me, although it did help to picture Tom Welling. I could have done without the romance tropes, but that really is a personal thing. There's no place for 'chocolate eyes' in my world. To clarify, the romantic stuff was fine, it just doesn't poke my pumpkin.

The best thing about The 5th Wave was that it kept me guessing, kept me on edge, got me pointing a shaking banana at approaching 'interrupters' mid-read and shouting ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?!

Yep, good read
on 11 March 2014
I enjoyed reading this story. It was well written and the story itself was a good twist on the usual alien invaders stories aka war of the worlds, independence day.....I have been a science fiction fan since I was nine and am well into my 50's now having read many different stories over the years and this one is one of the better ones. It would have got 5 stars if it hadn't have been for the last chapter or two where the luck of the main characters seemed a little too good.
on 23 August 2015
I would give 4.5 stars if I could. Brilliant story and plot which could be enjoyed equally by mid-teens to any age above. The apocalypse of the world by aliens. Not a new plot, but one which can have a multitude of directions, and this one is probably the best I've read. I love how the realities of a young woman surviving on her own includes things like toothpaste and tampons. The story itself is gritty, dealing with murder/ execution, the use of child soldiers, and what lengths someone might have to go to in order to survive in the ultimate us verses them. The blossoming relationship between the protagonists is a little predictable and I think a bit rushed (that's one of the quarter stars off 5 stars), especially since it seems to fly smack in the face of the character of the heroine that has been built up that she doesn't trust anyone. The story is divided into different sections and each telling the story from a different viewpoint and character. While it did give a more rounded view of the situation, I personally don't love it when stories have this in, (which is the second quarter star off). I'm waiting excitedly for the second book to arrive.
on 22 June 2014
This is so well written I felt part of the story and wrapped up in the highs and lows of the characters. There were one or two jarring moments when the actions seemed out of character but it didn't detract from storytelling. I found myself having to ration how much I read to try and prolong the pleasure of reading this book, and it seems a long wait until the next part is published.
on 2 March 2014
Overall I really enjoyed The 5th Wave, even though it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I haven't read many books that shift perspective between several main characters and so at first, I found it somewhat difficult to get into. The flow just seemed to falter for me when the point of view initially shifted from teenage heroine Cassie, since I already felt invested in her story. Given that the others were not as charismatic and endearing to me, I found myself always hoping the attention would soon return to her. When the characters began to cross paths and their stories moved closer together however, it really picked up.

It's as much about human relationships as it is the effects of war, all within a sci-fi setting, so I imagine various elements of the narrative will appeal to a broad spectrum of people. I suppose the best test as to if I enjoyed it is if I would read the sequels which are due to come out; the answer being yes, I definitely will.
on 23 May 2015
Excellent book, well worth reading, convincingly told and a well crafted storyline. I was emotionally invested in all the characters - perhaps a little too much as I found some of the book very hard to read, parts were so harrowing and gritty. I found the first 30% of the book to be the hardest and wondering if I had the stomach to continue. Especially since I have a 5 year old son of my own, the parts involving children were very close to home and too upsettingly real to me. There was no way I could abandon the book without finding out what happens to the characters though, I knew I wouldn't rest easy unless I finished it no matter what happened! I'm so very glad I stuck with them for the journey... the book turned some surprises on me, including points of view and plot twists that I never expected. I can now say I LOVE this book despite (or perhaps because) it caused me pain at times. I'd rate this as one of my favourite books of all time!
on 24 March 2014
The first 4 waves have killed Billions of people and now the few people left are waiting to see what the aliens have planned next. 16 year old Cassie is running from a silencer, an alien who look like a human and who kill any human they see. After being shot in the leg, Cassie is rescued by Evan Walker who may be her only hope to rescue her 5 year old brother, but with people not always being what they seem can she trust Evan. At the same time Zombie driven by the guilt that he could have saved his baby sister is at a military camp and is trained to be a solider, but is everything as it appears.

The 5th Wave is a good and dark dystopian book but it was a slow read, especially the start as I found it hard to get into. Yancey is really good at making you unsure who is a human and who is an alien as I kept on guessing. What I don’t understand is the effort aliens went to with their plans as they could have done it easier.

Cassie is a bit of an annoying character as firstly I did not like that the world was in ruins yet she goes weak at the knees around the first good looking man she sees. Secondly I did not understand why she waited so long to rescue her brother which makes her seem weak compared to Penryn from Angelfall. I liked Zombie better as while he made a lot of mistakes, he tried to learn from them and I can empathise with his guilt.

I enjoyed The 5th Wave and would recommend it to fans of Angelfall by Susan Ee.
on 3 May 2014
(No Spoilers - hopefully)
All the flashbacks were quite annoying. If all the flashbacks are important information then why couldn't Rick just start the story when the aliens attacked. That would have been more readable. Also, Its quite predictable. For instance the twists were absolutely obvious so I was just like "yeah" when they were revealed. Two of the characters are just quite dumb. They fail to question obvious things until its too late. If Cassie can survive on her own then I think I would have beaten all of those aliens to death with a rusty spoon ages ago. Cassie also has this quirky way of narrating that is utterly annoying. I had no feelings for the 2D characters. Everything went achingly slow so I had to push myself to finally finish the book after putting it down plenty times. Not like I wanted to finish the book. Therefore I really don't understand why everyone is saying its so amazing. Its bad. But I am probably gonna buy the second one tho so
I am not trying to make you hate the book, everyone has different tastes. Read it if you like the sound of it.
This is s difficult book to review - I need to express how much I loved it, but I don't want to give too much of the story away.

When the aliens arrived, nothing was as they expected, no little green men, no flying saucers, in fact there was no contact at all. Instead, the attacks came in waves - the first was simply to cut the power, the 2nd was a tsunami along every single coastline, killing three billion. The 3rd wave was a deadly virus, killing a further four billion. During the 4th wave, the remaining survivors began to kill each other, trusting no-one. The final few are now alone, anticipating the 5th and final wave.

The story mainly centres on Cassie and Ben, two survivors who paths take very different turns. Cassie is 14, and her story does brings in the YA aspects such as first kiss, and falling in love, but it's all part of the story, and is done well. Her position as a teenager does give us an interesting view of how people react when the spaceship first arrives, and then when the power goes out, and her character grows as her world changes around her.

Ben is rescued by the military, and then taught how to fight, and from here the story begins to darken. We are shown an army of small children and teenagers, and the influence of Ender's Game (which I also loved) is apparent.

Both of these young people have to learn that no-one can be trusted, whilst also learning it's impossible to do be alone. Despite their new lives, and the on-going mistrust, they both find people to love and fight for.

What I can't describe fully is the full impact of this book - it grab holds of you and won't let go. It'll tear you apart at times, but it won't let go. It's impossible to put down, and leaves a big gap when you're done. It comes to a conclusion, but it's not the end, and I'm going to be very impatiently waiting for the next instalment.

This book really doesn't fit neatly in a genre - yes, there is YA, dystopia and sci-fi, but they are all parts of the total. It has some very dark moments, but also some moments which make you smile. I felt as if I was taking the journey with the characters, and you can feel and understand their mistrust and fear.

My advice would be to ignore the genres, ignore the detailed reviews which spell out the story, and ignore the hype. If it interests you just a little bit, read it - I don't think you'll be disappointed!