on 7 June 2014
Initially I thought this book was very interesting and descriptive. But as I continued reading I was rather disappointed as I got to the last chapters. I felt it had 'lost steam', as in just filling up space to finish the book. Overall, disappointed. It took a day and a half to read.
on 25 March 2013
Have not completed reading it as yet, not because I don't like it but as I have now met Bazil it is very informative read.
on 18 July 2016
Brilliant book about a very Charismatic Man
VINE VOICEon 11 April 2012
A story and a song are conveyed here with energy and conviction. London Community Gospel Choir (LCGC) is one of the major musical hits to have come out of the UK, yet the idea was only to have a single concert - that was 25 years ago. This is an honest look into the founder Bazil Meade's life, both before the founding of LCGC and since. Having arrived from the Caribbean aged nine, Meade had to leave the family home as a teenager. How Bazil Meade got from this to founding the LCGC is an inspirational story of God's power and grace, especially in the light of controversies such as playing with non-Christians, the women wearing make up and other topical issues! Unique and full of beats!
on 18 November 2011
I normally take my time to read a book and with a project of this size would usually stretch it over a few months. Reading time would be usually 20 minute bursts, the time it would take for my train to travel in to work on a morning. This book took me 3 days to read such was its effect. I read it on the train, train platform and as I moved through the crowd. On the way back from work, I read it in the dark and took advantage of the street lamps as they illuminated each page. Yes, I think I have made my point. There is something captivating about this book that makes you want to read it to the end. Bazil meade is the hardest working man in the niche Gospel music market in the UK. This is an important book and records the autobiography of a man who is to Gospel music in the UK what James Brown was to Funk in the USA. Meade is also featured in other key books on the subject such as 'British Black Gospel' by Steve Alexander Smith and Bil Carpenters 'Uncloudy Day'. In Smith's book, he is described as the godfather of UK Gospel. An autobiography that illustrates that hard work and dedication always pays.
One person found this helpful
on 15 December 2011
This is not a long book but it packs a whole lot in because of that it makes for fantastic reading; it has all the elements for a great story, fear,love,heartbreak, adventure and excitement.
Gospel music is big business in the US,here in the UK it is still a burgeoning genre with just a few individuals earning a living from it.
Meade has shown what passion, drive and determination can achieve.
I enjoyed every page!