Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.79

on 16 May 2013
Although this is an enjoyable story like all of those by Monica Dickens, would it be to much to ask that Bloomsbury could have had the kindle edition proof-read? I don't mind spelling mistakes and typos so much when a book has been self-published but honestly, there are so many mistakes in this version and from a proper publishing company this just isn't good enough. I recommend buying the paperback instead.
66 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2005
It's World War II, and women and girls have to do mens' jobs - making armaments. The book chronicles the lives of the girls who sit round a table making sure components are perfect to a fraction of an inch. I feel this is a job Dickens actually did, she knows so much about it. She also understands the need for a job, and the satisfaction of work well done, something her privileged background deprived her of until she worked as a servant and then a nurse (see One Pair of Hands and One Pair of Feet). The story follows two girls in particular: one from a background like Dickens' own who enjoys (or is it suffers?) her first love affair, and the other a wispy and shy youngster who doesn't ask much from life - only that her father shouldn't be in too bad a mood too much of the time. Woven into their lives is their decent and humane overseer who escapes from his unsympathetic wife into the arms or rather paws of his beloved rabbits which he breeds in the back garden. The book ends with everyone's life shaken up for the better (apart from the rabbits, who end up in a casserole - don't you know there's a war on?).
on 11 March 2013
I love this book, have read it over and over--quite an unusual story--"The Fancy" in the title is a Prize rabbit, and also set in a Munitions factory--but Monica makes it work.

I have been waiting AGES for it to become available on Kindle--why has it taken so long---where is "Thursday Afternoons" and "The Happy Prisoner" "My turn to make the tea".

Why has "One pair of feet" been put back until December 2013-at at the beginning of the year, it said Preorder for August 2013 ??

What is going on Amazon ??
on 13 January 2013
Though old, this gentle tale of skullduggery in the rabbit fancy during the Second World War, includes authentic stories of factory life, and a delightful romance.
on 1 August 2014
I love Monica Dickens books, she brings the characters to life. Obviously because of the time she was writing these books she evokes the atmosphere perfectly. Although I am not quite old enough to have been around during the war, nothing much changed until the 60's so it almost recreates my childhood. The characters are believable and you really care about them.
on 4 November 2013
I like books set during the war and find them interesting, but unfortunately this one didn't hit the spot. Maybe if you're really into rabbits that might help.
If i'm honest 3 stars is probably generous as I found it hard going and not really a happy book.
Not one that i'd recommend - as I've said, maybe if you like rabbits, and maybe men would enjoy it more ?
on 4 February 2014
I thought I would read this as a bit of a social history lesson but didn't get too much more than about the breeding of rabbits in the Second World War. Not very fast paced but not unpleasant don't think I'll be turning to this author again!
on 26 September 2013
this novel gradually becomes filled with more and more characters that we grow to know more and more about, effortlessly, and you find yourself really wanting to know what is going to happen to them next, even though all the "events" are entirely everyday. As it is set in wartime London, it is also filled with tiny details of how life - work, rationing, leisure, was at that time.
on 23 February 2016
This is my favourite of Monica Dickens' novels and I think it would make a great film. It is set in world war two and tells the lives of a group of women working in a factory assembling aircraft parts, and their supervisor Edward who is hen pecked at home but feels paternal to his ladies at work. Edward breeds rabbits for food to help the war effort. The characters are well drawn and have their fair share of problems which draw the reader in as the novel progresses.
on 22 October 2013
I read many of Monica Dickens' in my youth so I was interested in 'The Fancy' as a book I did not remember.
This is a pleasant tale, well written but for me there were just too many details about pigeons despite being an integral part of the plot.