Customer reviews

on 30 January 2016
I own the ReadyNAS 2xDuo, DuoV2, 312, 314 and 316. The 3xx series is by far the best for this price range. If you effectively want a mini computer then the 5xx series is more for you at substantially more money (and at that price range I'd question whether it would be better to just build your own server/computer).

The 3xx series is a marked improvement of the Duos in a number of areas (software, CPU, RAM etc).

My favourite feature of the 3xx series is the snapshots. Each day your share can back up the changes that occurred and in the event of you deleting or over-writing a file you wanted you can return to the previous snapshot.

The software is bullet-proof stable (unlike a lot of NASes I've seen other people use). I've spotted a few annoyances (e-mail notifications about 80% disk space usage cannot be disabled or the threshold altered, snapshots always occur at midnight which will wake the disks up at midnight which is a bit annoying if you sleep in the room with it) and only 1 edge case bug (it doesn't like being shut-down during a snapshot being taken which for a daily snapshot means midnight to 5 past is a bad time to try to shut it down) but have never lost a file or have it go unresponsive.

Netgear try to push their app eco-system (i.e. making the NAS a web-server) but I'd recommend against doing that on grounds of security. I used none of the cloud features and am not sure how popular that is (considering I imagine most users buying NASes want to store their files locally)

The difference between 312 and 314 is the number of bays and the chucked in LCD screen on the 314 (which you'll only ever look at if you're booting it and pretty much ignore all other times), the performance seems otherwise identical and the software is the same.

Be mindful of the disks you place in it, some of the "green" disks (i.e. Western Digital GREEN) lead to substantially lower performance and can then cause people to complain the NAS itself is slow (which it isn't). Western Digital RED drives are by far the most popular to install (despite them being slightly lower performance than normal desktop drives like Western Digital Black, the differences aren't that noticeable compared to the power savings they give). The best indicator of performance is that I get read/write performance resembling the specs of the drives, what more could I ask for?

It's so incredibly easy to use and understand that I encouraged my slightly less technical dad to buy one and he's got the hang of it. Netgear's FlexRAID effectively chooses the RAID levels for you and allows a migration from smaller disks to larger disks if you incrementally place a larger disk in at a time and wait for the RAID to rebuild before inserting the next.

If you need to buy a NAS, don't go for a cheap unstable potentially insecure alternative, just get this!
on 3 June 2014
Worked very well until I needed to change one of the drives. NB A little slow when accessing via Mac due to AFP speeds.

The ReadyNAS configuration was 2 x 3TB and 2 x 1TB all as one volume Raid 6. So I replaced a drive 3TB disc with confidence and waited 7hrs for it to rebuild. On completion I was informed that the drive was now made up of 2 volumes, 1 x 3TB which was Raid 1 and 2 x 1TB Raid 5 with the other old 3TB drive, not being used and all the data lost. Not great!

Now I'm rebuilding the 4 drives as one volume and will have to copy the data back from a backup.

I had hoped that Raid 6 would give me the confidence that my data was safe.
on 14 April 2016
The ReadyNAS, is a very good product. Combined with the WD Red drives they are fast and feature packed. the X-RAID unique to the Netgear means expansion is a doddle.
Want to increase storage? Buy 2 or more bigger drives, and the volume will expand automatically (add one drive at a time).
Want to run video files to your smart TV? It will do that.
Want to backup on line? the ReadyNAS will connect to the Netgear service and sort it - including accessing from mobile devices.

Have just bought for work to store some data temporarily off the main SAN, based on my use of them at home. Highly Recommended.
Just a word of advice, you will need DHCP running initially to setup as messing around with 169.x.x.x addresses is a kerfuffle.
on 4 May 2015
Not the first Netgear ReadyNAS I've used, but the first with this operating system. The reason I bought this was because I previously had a DUO and am familiar with the device navigation, but there is a limit on the storage options using a two bay unit and RAID1 (it is now being used as a backup device for this one) - and obviously storage is consumed so quickly these days, so needed more space, and the old NAS was creaking around the edges performance wise.
There are lots of RAID options available if you want to manually configure things, but using X-Raid fully automates protection based on the number of drives being used, and allows for concurrent horizontal expansion.
Having two network ports allows for redundancy options and if needed can be configured for link aggregation (as long as the back end switch supports it), active/passive or round robin
I have seen no issues with performance, and it serves media to everyone around the house, whether they are gaming, watching or listening to media or for the surveillance devices.
There is support for the usual suspects like CIFS, Samba, DNLA and ISCSI is also there
RSYNC and time machine are very useful additions also.
Definitely stick with the HCL for drives (I use WD) and you should have no issues
We'll recommended
on 12 December 2014
Really impressed. Ages ago I had bought a couple of Buffalo TeraStations but this is leagues ahead in terms of features, functionality & data security.

We've got BitTorrentSync installed so it's making a backup of web servers, databases, mail servers and our personal files in near real time. The snapshot every hour feature for 48 hours is great, so is being able to take out a smaller hard drive, replace it with a larger hard drive and the data will sync without missing a beat. This pretty much future proofs it as bigger and bigger hard drives become available.

One feature that energy conscious people will like to know about is that you can program when the device should turn itself on or off on a 7 day, 24 hour timer. We have no need for it to be on for 7 hours during the night so that's 49 hours of electricity saving during the week.

Absolutely love it.

There are a few issues and gripes but none make me want to drop it a star...

- I have found that the shutdown timer sequence got stuck the other day when I got in the office.
- I find it frustrating that it's got an HDMI port that doesn't do anything. Would be nice to have a few graphs come out of it or something.
- Encryption isn't an option after the volume is created, which happens when you first put discs in. I've ended up with a few TB of data on an unencrypted volume and it would have been nice to use this feature without moving the data elsewhere and back again.
- Not sure if it's me, but I didn't know where to look for documentation. It's fairly simple and logical though, but because this device does a lot I'm finding myself referencing the sales page so I know what features to look for.
on 13 February 2015
An excellent piece of IT kit, straight forward and very easy to set-up, just pop in your hard discs and turn it on, the device will automatically format the disc's so make sure your not using disc's with your data on? or your loose it! because the system has to re-format them in a special way and any data on the disc's you use in this will be lost!.
Has a very good GUI however when accessing it locally via it's IP address you get a certificate warning! Can't see a work around on this yet, it's not a big problem but something to be aware of.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 July 2014
I have one of those old ReadyNAS Duo's which is rather old now and I wanted a new NAS Device to also replace our huge media-server running Linux with a customized minidlna to fit to what we wanted here.

Had a few issues setting up the Shares and users, and had forgotten how long it took me last time with the Duo, so I ended up enabling SSH via the System->Settings page, so much easier via the console as root user.

Also having manual control over the system fan would of been nice, by default the fan will slow down to about 800rpm (slowest I have seen it go) however it does go up to about 1,700rpm when the temperature gets high, I have only seen the temperature go up to about 61°C (rebuilding the Raid) and as low as 34°C when first turned on.

Nice thing I did notice was it has a Dual Core +HT, so that's 4 core/threads show up in the console.

Please be aware that if you fix 4x4TB drives you will end up with 12TB (4TB RAID Parity) - partition over heads and the OS resulting in about 10.9TB not all bad I guess just thought I would mention it.

I also like the "ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay, Diskless" that you can buy for it, not needed to buy it yet due to plenty of space (10.9TB) to store all out backups and purchased software, drivers, ISO backups and all of our media etc.

Overall I rather like it, just don't like the Web Frontend and I ended up setting up the main stuff as root via SSH.
on 9 October 2015
Not as easy to set up as I had hoped but still very very good. Separate app is required to use this as a video streaming device to the iPad at a cost but it's ok. Connectivity wise, access via tinternet and internal wifi is sound. net gear do have you covered if you aren't really IT savvy.
on 10 July 2016
An excellent starter NAS for home users. Works well as a home data server, not brilliant for DLNA streaming of films due to low processor/RAM, but still a very happy customer.
on 31 July 2015
once I got this nas up and running for a few days, I don't know how I've lived with out it. great intergration of all my media and projects through my network, fast efficient, and keeps it all safe with raid . I love it