on 19 September 2016
This is a rather strange little book, or booklet,, really, printed by Amazon, with a few black and white photos to liven things up a bit. It has both imperial and metric wieghts and measures, plus a handy conversion chart, and seems to be a print of something transatlantic.
The use of a can of condensed mushroom soup in a couple of recipes certainly seems to have American lineage. Courgettes casseroled in tinned soup, anyone?? Well who knows, might be awesome.

One recipe is for " Nightshade Thai curry" which was a bit of a shock, but the book asserts that this is ' just one of the local names for Aubergines'.
Really? Gosh! Interesting! I wonder where?

And cooking tinned, therefore already cooked, chickpeas for 8 hours to make hummus? Why would you do that?

The "skinny" element seems to come from using low fat cooking oil spray and what it calls' low- fat " butter"' spread". And something intriguingly called " reduced sugar honey". Hmm.
Mind you, using evaporated milk in macaroni cheese doesn't seem too 'skinny' to me.

And do you really want to make a potato and onion omelette in your slow cooker???
I have given one star, just for the rum bananas recipe...but it's something I take 5 minutes to make in the frying pan, not an hour in a slow cooker.

The oddities would have stopped me buying this from a bookshop. But the postage cost makes it not worth returning and anyway the conversion chart will help with the other Amazon slow cooker book I got at the same time, which is entirely American.
I shall stop now lest the review gets longer than the book.
on 28 April 2017
I do use a lot of the healthy, easy recipes from this book, though at first I didn't think I would, as different to my usual type of food. Slow cooking is handy for getting one step ahead, and these are very doable recipes, (we are really into beans now!), good variety of recipes, some super ones, adding good nutrition to meals, or for total meals in themselves.
on 11 January 2016
I was a bit disappointed that so many of these recipes use preprocessed foods. Not just canned beans (I was hoping for some definitive advice about using soaked dried beans and how long to cook) but also, amazingly, a can of condensed mushroom soup in a mushroom stroganoff, low-fat margarine (only a molecule away from plastic), and evaporated milk. Also, why put a swirl of cream into soups if you are trying to cut down the calories? There are some recipes I will probably find useful, and good to know the calorie count for each dish - although I realise I probably need a smaller slow cooker or to cut quantities by four, or find a skinny, vegetarian, one-person cookbook.
It has the feel of a series of books where the same recipes are recycled and put together in different compilations. As vegetarian recipes these are pretty basic and not that imaginative. I am just going to have to resort to my own lengthy experimentation.
11 Comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 March 2017
This book is great. The recipes are delicious, healthy, cheap and easy to prepare and the slowcooker does the rest. I'd go so far as to say this book and a slowcooker is all a family needs to survive a chaotic life yet still eat healthily and on a low budget. If you have a Morphy Richards Sizzle range slowcooker then the recipes that require prior browning of onions etc can all be done without adding to the washing up pile. This is perfect for busy dad's like me (yes it's even dad friendly!). Sloppy Joe's is the new family favourite.
on 29 March 2013
I love it, the recipes are simple to follow & very tasty, with ingredients that are easy to source. My favourite slow cooker book to date
on 10 March 2017
Great book. Tasty recipes
on 1 June 2017
There is a lot of choice, extremely simple, can't complain for the price!
on 4 March 2013
This book is proving to be a real find for me. Tasty, simple and no hassle so far. Very well written with nice pictures. Great book would recommend.
on 29 March 2014
I always read reviews before buying a book and noticed that someone was disappointed that the recipes catered to American ingredients. I can only assume they were reviewing more than one book at the same time as anyone in the UK will have no problem getting the ingredients from a large supermarket or local ethnic supermarket. The recipes look great and I am going to do a meal/budget planner incorporating a lot out of this book. Also with this being veggie, it should be easy to keep costs down without forking out for expensive meat like most other slow cooker recipes call for (I am a meat eater,OH is the veggie). Definitely worth the small cost
11 Comment| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 March 2013
Bought this book the other day and its a definite Winner. I use my slow cooker all the time and I'm always looking for new ideas. The recipes so far have been easy to follow and really tasty which is exactly what I was looking for.