on 17 March 2014
I have read both of Al Kavadlos strength training based books - Raising the Bar, Pushing the Limits, I have read Be Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning is a book that I believe changed my life! This book, Strong Anywhere is incredible though! It contains all of the useful parts from the books i listed above along side a few extra pointers that they might have missed.

The descriptions of progressions are very concise and easy to understand, anything questionable is usually supplemented with a picture to explain. The reasons you would want to do the exercises are well put and there should be no problem knowing where to start and where to go from there. There were points raised in other reviews regarding the descriptions of exercises and I can possibly imagine how anyone could fail to understand them.

There is proof reading issues and it is clear that Boulter knows fitness much better than he knows the English language but its easy to over look the errors and finely chosen words is not why you buy a book like this! The only real disadvantage with this book is that in Convict Conditioning Paul Wade gives a clear guide as to when you are ready to progress to the next step, In Strong Anywhere Simon Boulter chooses more to imply that when you are ready you will know. In fairness, I didn't agree with every step in Convict Conditioning and soon realized that trusting you instinct is pretty effective in body weight training!

This book could change your life, it might only change the way you work out or help you get into some new exercises but if like me calisthenics and minimalism becomes you then you will have found an incredible place to take your fist steps!
on 26 June 2014
I am getting into bodyweight training. Been working out this way for about 3 months now. I took a 1 year hiatus from training after a long period of doing weights - weight-lifting was punishing me, I had multiple injuries from this and was psychologically and physically tired from it.

I bought Simon's book as a newbie to bodyweight, I flipped through it - and was slightly disappointed. Why? As there were no programs telling me how to train and what to do, when to do it etc. "This is just page after page of individual exercises" - I thought.

Its only after some months of BW stuff that I can see how clever the approach this book has taken actually is.

When you're devising a program, as Simon said at the end of the book - 1 push, 1 pull, 1 core, 1 leg exercise is good for guys new to this. Then from the individual exercises quoted - you can progress in order.

1) Split Squat - 5 sets of 10
2) Horizontal row - 5 sets of 10
3) Slow cadence pushups - 5 sets of 10
4) Hanging knee raises - 5 sets of 10

Finish off with some dead hangs / pullup negatives from a bar and you have a good workout.

From here, we can use the progressional templates in Simon's book to make these more and more complex.

Great book with very concise and clear descriptions.
on 27 September 2013
I was looking for a book on body weight strength training as I prefer body weight exercise and I have lower back problems, which make it difficult for me to weight train. I found this book to be incredibly useful as it has so many variations and progressions of upper body push and pull exercises, leg exercises and core exercises. This book enables you to create your own program and make progress. You can literally start no matter what your current strength levels are and of you are already strong there are advanced exercises that will hit you for 6.
on 10 May 2014
I liked this book because it was very informative and followed a process of increasing difficulty with giving reasons why any particular exercise was chosen
on 18 June 2014
Too derivative, nothing much new here
Formatting of book in Kindle form is awful, needs a good editor to sort
Try Convict Conditioning instead
on 29 December 2013
Excellent overview of bodyweight exercises, with great instruction, and good variations for advancing athletes. Straightforward and uncomplicated, would definitely recommend
on 19 May 2014
Kindle Book needs a table of contents and more sample workouts needed, otherwise it's a good book worth reading anyway
on 29 July 2013
I liked this book. Loads of exercises, detailed descriptions, and photos.
Want get strong using body weight. This is what you need.
on 25 May 2014
When will the publishers realise that selling a reference book without an active contents page is pretty pointless, how are you meant to refer back to it.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 April 2013
Really enjoyed this ebook. Lots of great advice in progression in body weight training. I look forward to making great gains in my own training using this.