Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Matt Terry Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

BROTHER HL-3170CDW Colour LED Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex
Size: Printer With Start Up Toner|Change
Price:£166.00+ Free shipping

on 25 October 2015
Does everything it says on the advert as far as I can see.
on 19 November 2015
Really pleased - excellent value for money - great company to deal with
on 15 August 2017
I've had this printer for two years now. Low volume printing and it's still running on the cartridges it came with. The print quality is just right for a laser printer. Very please with this purchase.
on 12 November 2017
Nice printer but had a problem with the driver down loaded driver from Brother Website still took a couple of times to install
on 17 November 2015
good machine so fsr
on 25 February 2016
BEAWARE – Design Fault - Defective Rollers
This printer has a common design fault, which is known to Brother. The orange roller for the fuser unit has a short limited life, so it will disintegrate resulting in embossed print outs. Check the reviews on Amazon.com for more details (including photos and videos)
So the printer is good until this fault happens, and if the printer is out of warranty when this happens, then the repair cost is similar or higher than the cost of buying a new printer! I have the printer for just over a year when this happened (1 year and 1 month exact), and we only used it very lightly (I use my Epson desk jet printer for most of my printing and use the laser only for final work documents). However, Brother Customer Service refused to fix the printer because it passed the 1 year warranty, refused to sell me the roller, saying it should only be replaced by an authorised engineer, and referred me to one of their repair agents. The agent quoted £59+VAT for labour and £79+VAT for the parts. So effectively the total repair cost is £165.60, and there is no guarantee that the new roller will not disintegrate in a year time! The agent suggested I should buy the higher heavy duty models, instead of this one, but I prefer NOT to buy Brother Printers anymore!

UPDATE 02/03/2016: After writing this review and a similar one on the website from where I bought the printer, I received an email asking me to write a complaint to Brother Customer Service. I did that, and they offered to send an engineer free of charge to have a look. In the following day, the engineer visited my house and replaced the fuser unit, which fixed the problem (free of charge - parts and labour). It was a good move from Brother to action this repair, as the printer is only 13 months old, and lightly used. So I am updating the review and changed my satisfaction from 1 to 3 stars.
on 9 May 2014
I spent a lot of time researching this printer. The only options were Samsung and HP. I was very skeptical about buying a Brother machine but the price was irresistible (even though it's a company buy) so I took a gamble. The main selling points are the duplex printing VERY QUIET OPERATION and seamless software with Apple and Android phones. I can happily say that everything about this printer works fantastically. I'm really pleased and my poor opinion of Brother products has improved immeasurably.
on 30 August 2015
I purchased this product last year for my small business, I have had a HP laser printer for 10 years. I would never purchase a Brother again, I always seem to be buying replacements. I have just replaced the drum units which last for 15000 pages and still the printer is not working correctly. Never again, I have lost count of the hours I have lost trying to remedy problems with this printer. The wireless is not easy to set up and I have yet to get it working.
on 20 March 2014
Connection to wireless network and USB unproblematic out of box - followed instructions with no issues. Supplied toner cartridges really do not last long, so be sure to have replacements in place soon after you know it's working! Print speed good. Booklet printing from driver only available on Windows systems - disappointed it's not available on Mac OSX driver.

Takes 300gsm card fine through the manual feed, particularly if allowed pass through by opening back hatch.

Cartridge changing is easy, though manufacturer cartridges are very pricey compared to compatibles, though their quality is finer and truer colour - you get what you pay for.

One note - USB plug socket is not very secure after a couple of knocks - glad I use the wireless setting.
on 4 September 2014
I bought this device for printing simple graphics & text newsletters, and for this purpose it's ideal, particularly a built-in duplex. Stable wireless connection makes printing from several different computers dead easy; setting it up was straightforward.